1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers rookie update from ESPN

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ghost_, Aug 20, 2008.

1. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-2-322/Chargers-rookie-update.html

Chargers rookie update

August 20, 2008 7:48 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

I have extensively covered the strong play of San Diego's top two rookies, cornerback Antoine Cason and running back Jacob Hester. Both players have been standouts in training camp and in the preseason.

The Chargers only have three other draft picks. I want to give a quick rundown on these players halfway through the preseason.

Running back Marcus Thomas: The fifth-round pick from Texas-El Paso is a hard runner and he is giving his best effort. Still, the San Diego backfield is crowded and Thomas may have trouble making the roster. He could be practice squad material.

Cornerback DeJuan Tribble: The sixth-round pick from Boston College is talented and has big-play ability. But like Thomas, he is entering a crowded position and will have to fight to make the final roster.

Offensive tackle Corey Clark: The seventh-round pick from Texas A&M has earned praise from coach Norv Turner. He may be on the bubble but Clark has the look of a potentially good right tackle.

Also, the team likes fullback Mike Tolbert. The undrafted free agent from Coastal Carolina will likely make the 53-man roster.

San Diego Chargers, Antoine Cason, Jacob Hester, Marcus Thomas, DeJuan Tribble, Corey Clark, Mike Tolbert

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I think Cason, Hester are locks. Tolbert almost a lock. Clark, close but I need to see more. Tribble and Thomas, Practice Squad since the position is just too crowded.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Pretty much agree, but I think Tolbert will make the roster because Pinnock isn't really coming around.

4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Clark is good for depth and could possibly fill in for Clary when fatigue sets in. Tribble and Thomas are just our standard practice squad rookies. We get a few every year. Tolbert should be in to sub for Pinnock or even start and Hester is perfect as the backup, similar to turner in the way he plows through guys so he should be in every time Turner would be in.

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I'm really surprised at the reports I'm seeing on Clark. I thought he was a desperate wasted pick in draft time. I felt AJ 'needed' to pick an O lineman and reached bigtime for him. I'll be delighted if he sticks and ends up making it like Clary has thus far. In terms of where they were drafted they have alot in common.

:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Yeah Clark is looking like a keeper as a future RT factor!!! AJ knows how to do it: with Olivea, Clarey and now Clark!!!!

7. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Olivea began fairly well, but was not one of our better picks in the last few years. I was more patient with him than others on the site and they proved to be correct. Clary and Clark both appear to be useful. So far, i'm disappointed with the Illustrate Man.

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Olivea did well, but after being bent like a pretzel in the game vs NE, he was never the same. I think his back got perma fuked up on that one and he got himself a nice pain killer addiction out of it as well.

9. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    With all the weight he picked up, his back may not have healed properly. He would have needed to seriously strengthen his abdominals to support his back and he failed to do that. Recovery requires discipline I haven't seen any specifics on the injury that led to the settlement-anyone know if it was his back again?

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Everybody called for his head but few, like myself, pointed out that dude had a serious back injury.

probably screwed it up for life

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    yeah, we he said!!