1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers' run-stopper Williams returning to Pro Bowl form

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By JIM ALEXANDER
    The Press-Enterprise

SAN DIEGO - For years, nose tackle Jamal Williams was the fulcrum of the Chargers' 3-4 defense, a guy opponents tried to run away from and a reason why San Diego's run defense was so good.

The Chargers' run defense hasn't been that great this season, and some of that has to do with Williams' struggles.

The 11-year veteran, a Pro Bowl selection each of the past four years, sat out all of the Chargers' offseason activities, most of training camp and a good number of early season practices to preserve the mileage on his knees, both of which underwent surgery last season.

The knees feel better, Williams said Thursday, but his timing still is not where he'd like it to be
    "It's basically getting my reps and my recognitions out there," Williams said. "This is new to me because I never really had to go through any of the stuff like this. I wish it was the first week.

"But you gotta realize people are getting better each and every year. They have more and more film to watch of you to see how they can get an angle on you or get one step ahead ... It's not like I've never seen those kind of blocks before. It's just the recognition, how fast the game is going right now."

Defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell said he figured Williams is rounding back into form.

"You can tell now our run defense has picked up," Cottrell said. "We're playing a little better and it's obviously because of Jamal's (improvement).

"Surgery's never minor. It takes a little time and he's a little bit older (32), so the healing process is a little slower than it used to be years ago. But he's feeling a little bit better."

Harrison Returning Home

Rodney Harrison played nine seasons in the Chargers' secondary and made two Pro Bowls before the team released him for salary cap reasons in February 2003. Sunday, incredibly, will be his first chance to play in Qualcomm Stadium as a New England Patriot. He was injured when the teams played here in the playoffs in January 2007.

"That was my home for nine years," Harrison said on a conference call interview Thursday. "The city embraced me and the fans were always great to me. I was able to do a lot of great things in the community. Being that I'm playing my first game back there, it's going to be a special moment."

He said there's no lingering bitterness over the way he left.

"Initially as a young person not understanding the business side of it, you get really ticked off and become a little bitter," he said. "After sitting back and looking at the situation, you understand that it's a business and there's nothing you can do about it. I took advantage of my opportunity here and some great things happened for me."

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Yea Ted, that run defense looked outstanding against Miami.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Do people seriously think through what they are writing before they print it?

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Jamal'll get a big test this weekend.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It's time for out Bolts to either step up or step out, either way it goes this game is defining of our season. Yes, it's a biggie.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I love Jamal, but it is short-sighted of AJ to not have the heir apparent in place for The Wall. I don't see him, unless you buy into the plan of Igor in the middle. :unsure:

We had a guy who might have been up to that task. Lamar Divens. Seems that I remember our pre-season run D stiffening considerably when he entered the game. The Ravens lost no time in snapping him up.

Is our lack of attaining a true NT a sign of movement towards the 4-3? :icon_shrug:

7. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Just curious.
    Is Divens even playing?

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Not sure - haven't watched any Ravens games to date. I know that I read somewhere that the Ravens were high on him, but no proof of that. I liked the way that he played & thought that I'd prefer to keep him over McKinney or Tribble.

9. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

No he's not. He's riding pine on the inactive list.

10. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Thank's. :tup:

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    :lol:

13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    WTF??

:icon_shrug:

:lol::lol::lol:

14. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    never thought AJ would be myopic about our depth at DT.

15. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    :clap::lol:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ride The Lightning again."

:lol:

17. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    So, at least his timing will be better?

Yup, all about money, so Harrison just has to show up.

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Igor has that brute strength. He's not agile as defensive ends go, but he is real agile as far as noses go. He also has the height to be a hindrance in the passing lanes. He certainly has the attitude. Jamal should have been pushed a little bit earlier, but we'll find out Sunday night if he really is rounding into form-if he isn't we are in trouble on defense.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think it's possible for Igor to make that move to NT. He might need to eat a few more biscuits, but gaining a little weight wouldn't hurt him at NT. I've seen no sign of moving him there so it may all just be rumor. Either way, Jamal needs an heir apparent & so far I don't see anyone stepping up into that role who will come anywhere close to a healthy Jamal.

20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I hope Jamal is back in form Sunday night, we need a win big time or things could get pretty ugly down the road.

It's so sad we had to start this season out with so many key player's on the mend. I can't think of any coach who would've had much better luck with so many injuries.

It's time for they players to step up, lace up and strap the helmet down. get after it from the opening whistle till the final gun. Lay it on the line and leave nothing behind.

21. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Couldn't say it better,

Just bring the effort, the rest will take care of itself

:tup:

22. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    The entire defense is predicated on the way Jamal plays. The Chargers have been one injury away from disaster since they moved to the 3-4. Above and beyond injury a player's level of play can fluctuate, they can get older and lose a step, they can get worn down at the end of games, they can get worn down at the end of seasons and a coaching staff can hold a player out of practice to keep healing injuries at bay. It's ridiculous how many things can go wrong with a single player.

I've been amazed that year after year NT has been ignored in the off season. I thought they would have picked a successor/backup at least three years ago so he could be groomed to eventually replace Jamal. But nothing. The management is really playing with fire here. More than any call/non-call management has made, this one has perplexed me the most and for the longest period of time.

And no I don't buy the Igor in the middle plan. Igor is fine at holding his ground but he can't penetrate upfield. That's an experiment that would end quickly.

4-3? Maybe but it doesn't explain the lack of a backup for the past few years... unless they decided against the 3-4 soon after they implemented it.

It is quite puzzling isn't it.

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This is what I refer to when I say Igor is not particularly agile at DE but as a NT he would be more than agile enough. I suspect he would be well suited to plugging up the middle.

24. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Oh yeah this is the case. We got to have started the playoff
    season in October.

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It's now, or never!!!