1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers said "no thanks" to Vincent Jackson trade inquiry

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 22, 2010 8:50 PM ET

[​IMG]

So with the talk of the Seahawks possibly being interested in Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson, would the Chargers move him?

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports via Twitter that, in response to a call from at least one team regarding Jackson, the Chargers said, "No thanks."

Acee doesn't mention whether the "no thanks" came in response to a specific offer, or in response to the general possibility of trading Jackson.

If the Chargers are willing to squeeze Jackson by reducing his tender offer and then telling the media that Jackson and left tackle Marcus McNeill have been "lost," they should be willing to trade either or both of them.

But not in G.M. A.J. Smith's world. In his world, common sense and fairness go out the window when it's time to teach someone a lesson -- especially if the lesson is coming not from the Chargers but the league and if it's intended not for just these two players but all of them.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Not surprised at all. :lol: AJ doesn't want to jump the gun on this. The Chargers are a team that needs to win a Super Bowl soon, very soon, and trading either player does not help us this year. Even if they do hold out 10 weeks eventually they will come back determined to prove they are worth the money they are demanding.

It'll take a kings ransom or the players flat out demanding a trade for something to happen.

3. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Florio is an ignorant Phukstick. End of message.

4. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    But not in G.M. A.J. Smith's world. In his world, common sense and fairness go out the window when it's time to teach someone a lesson -- especially if the lesson is coming not from the Chargers but the league and if it's intended not for just these two players but all of them.

F U Florio what the hell do you know about running a NFL franchise? Common sense and fairness get you what in the NFL? I will tell you what it gets you a big pile of NOTHING

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I think his point was that AJ would rather prove a point and get nothing for a player than trade a player and get something in return. Afterall, we got nothing to Turner, Nothing for Brees, and will probably get nothing for Merriman, VJ, and McNeil. Maybe I am wrong, but that is how I took it

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    sounds like fans from other teams are watering at the mouth to try and get jackson and or mcneil.

Hey other teams fans. Give the chargers two or three first rounders for either and we'll talk.:yes:

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It all depends on if the Chargers feel these guys will be back early or not. If not, then they should be traded. I do not want to see these guys play 4-6 games, not do much because they missed so much time (Sorry, if they don't come back until week 10 or 12, they will not have a major impact). There is no way these guys will resign with the Chargers after the season, even if there isn't a lock out, when they can test the market and when they will get offered more by another team. I say, get something for them while you can if they really are planning on holding out until late in the season

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Including Raider and Bronco fans.:yes:

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    man, you're clueless :tdown:

(here's a hint, Brees was NOT under contract, badly hurt, nobody wanted him (as a FA, not to mention having to give something for him), Rivers was ready to start, et.)

10. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    There were only two teams that even showed interest in Brees..... plus what you said.

I'm glad Brees came back and did what he's done, but realistically, it didn't look good. And AJ was pretty nice to let him go and see what he could get out there. Maybe I'm seeing things wrongly, but what I see are players that, as I've stated before, are big babies. They've been babied their whole lives and have gotten everything they've wanted. What they want is in itself 'unfair' to the teams, but when the teams actually treat them fairly, it seems to them that they are being treated 'unfairly'. Players really seem to have no concept of what's fair or not. When something is 'fair', it's fair to BOTH parties. I don't see how losing $20 million dollars on Ryan Leaf was 'fair' to the Chargers. Or, how paying JaBustus Russell $40 million is 'fair' to the Turds. Or how that fat, bung hole in Washington can take the huge money and then not want to show up and honor his contract. Unless it's fair to both player and team, it's not fair. What I see is the teams getting taken quite often. And in the end, it's the fans who pay for a lot of this.

By the way, check out the prices and PSLs for the Jets. Talk about getting hosed.

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    VJ and McNeil hardly compare to the situations with Turner and Brees.

Turner was playing second fiddle to a hall of famer.

As for Brees, it's easy to look back and whine that we lost him to free agency for nothing, but can you imagine the backlash that would have ensued from everyone (fans, teammates, coaches, news media) had they traded Drew after that 2004 season in favor of going with the unproven Rivers?

Then Drew suffers a possible career ending injury to his throwing arm, so with Rivers waiting behind him it wasn't such a sure bet to stick with him anymore. Even despite that, they still offered Drew a rich contract. Only it required him to prove he was healthy by playing in the games.

While I don't blame Drew for turning that down when New Orleans offered more guaranteed money, I also don't blame the Chargers for offering it all things considered.

And have you ever stopped to wonder why only two teams looked at Drew and only one (other than the Chargers) even offered him a contract? And is it a coincidence that that one team was a team that was desperate for a new quarterback?

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    In short the Chargers had suitable players to replace Turner and Brees.
    McNeil is our only legit OT, and Vjack is an impossible 1 on 1 matchup when Philip Rivers isn't on his *** or running for his life.

BTW I don't think we offered crap to Brees, his arm injury was carrer threatening.

13. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    1. Not AJ's fault Brees got hurt.

2. Turner provided injury insurance, would anyone be complaining that he got "nothing" for Turner if Turner helped us beat the Patriots? I mean the goal is to win the SB is it not? How pissed would people have been if AJ traded Turner during the off-season and then LT got hurt? People would have said AJ cost us a SB because he traded Turner.

3. No way we're losing all 3.

So I guess yea you're wrong. :icon_tease:

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    They did offer him a contract, but it required him to play in a certain amount of games before he saw most of it.

If I recall correctly, it was a 5 or 6 year deal but the years after the first season only kicked in if he started 10 or 12 games.

edit:

According to wikipedia (because I'm having trouble finding another source) "After the season, the Chargers offered Brees a 5-year, $50 million contract that paid $2 million in base salary the first year and the rest heavily based on performance incentives"

15. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    we didnt ****ing trade turner or brees, no **** we didnt get anything in return. if you were a gm would you trade for a qb with an exploded shoulder? tell me you would and i tell you youre so full of **** your eyes are brown.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    The Chargers were not able to trade Drew Brees once his shoulder was exploded even if somebody would want to trade for him. He was an UFA at the time.

The proper question would be "If you were the GM would you have traded your starting QB who just lead your team in a surprising playoff run in favor of going with an unproven 2nd string?" With an added reminder that he wouldn't have had the benefit of 20/20 hindsight that we have now knowing that Rivers would, indeed, pan out.

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Obviously he was a free agent but we know if he wasn't hurt AJ most likely would have franchised him or given him a contract more to his liking. Which would have resulted in either Rivers or Brees being trading (depending on which happened).

Also it's not like Brees wasn't available after the 04 season, it's just that teams weren't sold on him, at least not to the point of offering anything good in return and giving Brees a contract to back it up.

In a situation like that there's very little you can do as a GM no matter how good you are.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Ha!! That was the exact term that I used for Florio on another board - except no "ph". :lol:

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am not saying they are the exact same situation. I am saying there is no reason we should be letting top players leave with no compensation, especially if they aren't going to play anyways like VJ and McNeil.

I was saying that the Chargers should have traded Brees and Turner before their final year, when they both had value, and prior to Brees's injury, and I was saying this at the time as well

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That was exactly my point genius. They should have been traded prior to their final year when the team knew they were not going to be Chargers longer than a a year. Once they were free agents, we had no choice but to let them walk for nothing in return

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Very few teams are ever willing to give up 2 1st's for a player. I have no doubt that a team would have been willing to trade for both Turner and Brees prior to their final year, but since the Chargers made it clear that they wouldn't accept anything less than two 1st's, all interested parties just figured they would wait a year. We could have accepted less, and should have (like one 1st). But we didn't, and they wanted for nothing in return. The same thing will happen with VJ, McNeil, and Merriman.

IMO, there is no excuse for keeping a top player into the final year of their contract, if there is no intention, or reasonable expectation, on bringing them back. Get something for them and help the future of the team

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    There is if that player can help you win in that final year.

And I suppose there was an excuse for Drew considering they weren't sure if they wanted to let him go or not.

23. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Do you have to be on crack to understand this?

I'm sober this morning, and can't make sense of it at ALL. :icon_shrug:

24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    This i don't understand - AJ and VJ are at odds completely, I don't see how or why AJ wouldn't cut his losses

25. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432

We don't know that AJ & VJ are completely at odds.
    I haven't heard a peep from either side. Let's see how it plays out.

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You really believe that? How can you possibly believe they were even considering keeping Brees longterm after Rivers was drafted?

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    They offered him a contract, even with his bum shoulder. :icon_shrug:

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What we have heard, is that as of about a week ago, the Chargers lowered the tender on Both VJ and McNeil. Those players were not willing to play on a 1 year contract for $3+ mil, there is no reason to think they will play for even less. And as much of a hard *** as AJ is, I don't see him backing off of his stance that they had a deadline to sign, and failed to do so. People that know AJ better than any of us have said they do not believe the Chargers will sign these guys for more than the decreased tender, and that if the players are to play, they will be the ones that cave in because AJ won't

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    They offered him a contract with like $1-2 mil guaranteed. That isn't anything in NFL terms.

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And if those players aren't going to play, like VJ and McNeil likely won't, then they are not helping the team and are more of a distraction than anything else.

I still say trade VJ and use his money to increase McNeil's offer