1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers, Saints set to play

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 5 hours ago
    8-26-2010

The third game of the preseason also is expected to be one of the most entertaining matchups that you could find for an August exhibition game.

NEW ORLEANS – Friday’s game at the Saints will max out the fan interest quotient for preseason.
    A perennial playoff team against the Super Bowl champions in one of the more historical sporting venues in the United States is difficult to top, considering the game will be nationally televised and played during the preseason week that most resembles a real game.
    A highlight of the preseason schedule, New Orleans has the team’s attention as well. Another Southern city, Atlanta, hosted the Chargers’ third preseason game last year. The confidence they gained from a good showing may have played a part in San Diego’s 7-1 road record last season.
    “The hostile environment, getting to play on the road for the first time, the 2010 Chargers will see what we’re made of,” Eric Weddle said. “We had success last year on the road and hopefully we can take that same focus, same approach and go out there and have a good showing.”
    The Superdome’s artificial surface will make the speed of the game a step faster. That will only supplement a game that will feature two of the league’s best quarterbacks in Philip Rivers and Drew Brees. They started in the same positional group in San Diego and each threw for more than 4,200 yards last season. The NFL’s quarterback rating system last year ranked Brees first and Rivers third, both with numbers well north of 100.
    But each team’s running game has a punch, too. The Saints gained 298 rushing yards during their two preseason games and the Chargers have flashed a revitalized ground game featuring rookie Ryan Mathews, an expanded role for Mike Tolbert and a physical offensive line.
    San Diego will scheme this week and treat their approach like a regular season game, as is customary for most NFL teams. Head Coach Norv Turner said he expects the starters to play into the third quarter if not through it.
    It’s the second week in a row the Chargers have faced a playoff team from last year. They lost to the Cowboys, 16-14, on Saturday but felt their starters showed well against Dallas. The level of competition has softened the number of mental calories veterans need to burn to reach the right energy for preseason, Luis Castillo said.
    “Preseason is tough, but (we) have the opportunity to play against teams we feel can give us great looks, teams that are going to be contenders once the regular season gets going,” said Castillo, citing Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, the Cowboys’ running game and the Saints’ complex formations.

“We feel like we’ve had enough challenges that we’ve gotten motivated. We’ve gotten that (competitive) energy going because you realize as much as it’s preseason, it’s a test to see where we are against the great teams of this league.”
    The hypothesis heading into the game against the defending champs?
    “I think we’re Super Bowl contenders,” Malcom Floyd said. “We have a great team, we have a lot of depth and we have athletes all around. I feel good, especially with Philip and Antonio Gates as our leaders. I look up to those guys.
    “It’s a good test to see where we are and how we can compete against the top-tier teams because we still think we’re one of them.”

LOUISIANA CONNECTION: The Chargers have four former LSU Tigers on the roster.
    That means there are plenty of players familiar with New Orleans and the Superdome. That’s ironic, considering San Diego has not played in the Superdome since 1997.
    Darry Beckwith last played there for the BCS National Championship game Jan. 7, 2008, as the Tigers beat Ohio State, 38-24. That was also Jacob Hester’s last collegiate game. Buster Davis finished his college career with a 41-14 Sugar Bowl victory against Notre Dame in the same building about one year earlier.
    Josh Reed also played at LSU and is happy the city of New Orleans got to celebrate a Super Bowl soon after Hurricane Katrina.
    “With everything that New Orleans has been through, for the people to come back and have something to celebrate like that is just an amazing feeling, man,” Reed said.
    Jeremy Williams played college football in the city at Tulane. Mike Scifres grew up in Destrehan, La., a few suburbs west of the Big Easy. Scifres looked forward to punting inside the dome.
    “There’s no weather elements. The only thing as a punter or kicker you have to control is your adrenaline and not try to kick it too hard or too far,” Scifres said. “Just make a regular swing and hit it good and the ball will carry a lot further inside than it would out.”

2. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    the OFFICIAL Brees vs. Rivers might be a snappier title... or The Mole vs The Chosen One...

gawd knows we've had numerous threads and personal fouls posted in years past on this topic,.... :icon_rofl:

should be a great game...

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    When does the real season start??????

4. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Not soon enough! :tup:

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Well considering this gonna be the first game I get to see my team play *I know! right?* this year I am very excited to see what RM is gonna do.

Less Turnovers will be great.
    Also like to see a team that does a better job with TOP.
    Like to see a Running game that can control the clock.
    Lookin forward to seeing a legit passing team vs what is already hailed to be a secondary with great chemistry.
    Oyea lookin forward now to some inside the 5 yd Sci-Fi pins.

O and a W is a W everytime I think back to the last meeting with NO in London where we lost it in the last minutes.

Ok so its more like a V not a VV. But I will take a .5 victory.

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    not to threadjack, but jus saw this on RRs. Got a few chuckles out of it.

29 minutes ago - The Colts weren't happy with how quickly the ball was spotted Thursday night. "It certainly didn't seem like (the game officials) took some of the things we do -- and other teams do -- into account when they made the rule," QB Peyton Manning said. Colts RapidReports

I was eating at the time but I looked at the game to see PM doing the *What the Hell* gesture, now I know what it was for.
    Sucks they dont want teams running a No Huddle/Hurry up Offense obviously.

7. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Well...since Peyton is unhappy about it, I'm sure there will be some kind of change sometime soon to placate him.

8. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Well the one thing I forgot to emphasize is to limit the # of bonehead penalties.

Yay Rhino!