1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Score Another LB From Canada!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Pointyearedog, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Chargers Agree to Terms with CFL Standout Dexter McCoil
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 3:25 PM PST
    [​IMG]
    By Ricky Henne
    Managing Editor
    Chargers.com

[​IMG]
    Chargers Add CFL Standout Dexter McCoil

The Chargers added talent from the Canadian Football League on Tuesday, agreeing to terms with ILB Dexter McCoil. A standout defender, McCoil is a hybrid playmaker who also saw action at safety for the Edmonton Eskimos.

A 6-4, 220-pound product out of Tulsa, McCoil recorded 76 tackles, two sacks, three interceptions and one fumble recovery this season as he led the Eskimos to the 2015 Grey Cup Championship. McCoil was named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Rookie in 2014 when he posted 67 tackles and four sacks, while tying for the league-lead with six interceptions, including three returns for touchdowns.

Prior to landing in Canada, McCoil played collegiately at Tulsa, where he totaled 315 tackles, 18 interceptions and 43 passes defensed. He was named the Defensive MVP of the 2011 Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl, and earned Second Team All-Conference USA honors following his junior season. After signing as an undrafted free agent with the Raiders in in 2013, McCoil spent one season in the Arena Football League before joining the CFL.

McCoil is the third player the Bolts have added from the CFL in recent years, joining WR Dontrelle Inman and OLB Cordarro Law.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Weddle's replacement?....... Dean does love a bargain.;)

3. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Whatever happened to Weddle? What's he up to?

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    A 6 4 safety...?

Can he bulk up and play lb still?

5. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    he played lb in canada, but yes he can play both, he could make a handy ss

6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    New SS...? let's move on from Addae.

7. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    looks like a new SS, but i hope we retain addae, make him the back up SS for dime packages, let him play special teams, dude plays with probably the most heart on the defense, i mean he got concussed and our medical staff some how let him "pass" the test, and he still went out there and played, poorly but he was willing to die for the team, i'd like to keep a warrior like addae in anyway possible

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Addae could be a special teams demon................ if he ever learnt how to make a tackle. Should never be our starting SS imho.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    From what is being reported he's good in coverage so at worse he could be a nice rotational replacement ILB and fill the role Gachkar has by providing coverage. He and Dznubar could be a nice pair of complimentary backup LBs

10. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    This move has SAFTEY all over it. at 6'4, 220, even if he bulked up, I still have my doubts he could hold up to the run over the course of an NFL game. With Weddle likely gone, the chargers are taking a punt on this guy IMO

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    nice size to cover tight ends

12. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    At the very least, it is a whole lot better letting this guy cover WRs or TEs instead of Inman.