1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Scrubs get Scrubbed by San Francisco 23-14

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Sep 2, 2006.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    By Boltarious <em>Bolt Talk Staff Writer</em>- quotes courtesy of NFL wire services

San Francisco- by way of kfmblur...

Preseason is over!!!!!!!
    The San Diego Chargers ended their 2006 preseason Friday night at 2-2, dropping a 23-14 decision to the San Francisco 49ers.

This game was treated like nuclear waste by both coaching staffs, with 90 percent of the starters taking the evening off.

The Chargers took the opportunity to get a good look at Charlie Whitehurst, and Brett Elliot at QB. Said Chargers Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer- "The first thing we set out to do was to give some of these young players an opportunity, particularly these quarterbacks, to see exactly where they are at this point." Whitehurst looked like he might have a future, and Elliot looked every bit the raw rookie.

The Chargers opened the scoring after LB Donnie Edwards scooped up a fumble caused by Chargers DE Derrick Robinson's crushing hit on Niners RB Maurice Hicks at the SF 20. Edwards returned the ball to the SF 8 yard line, and Whitehurst cashed it in with a 5 yard TD pass to WR Malcolm Floyd. Floyd burned former Charger CB SAMMY DAVIS on the play. Gee, now we can all experience that wonderful feeling when Davis is torched, from the OTHER side of the ball.

7-0 Chargers

SF Rookie RB Michael Robinson scored the 49ers first TD of the night, getting in on a 1 yard plunge after QB Trent Dilfer led the Niners on a 93 yard drive. Robinson was a top flight QB at Penn State, and is making the transition to RB for his journey into the NFL. "At first it was tough because you get so many people saying you can't (play quarterback), Before last season at Penn State, so many people said you can't do this, you can't do that. I went out and won offensive player of the year in Big Ten and the Orange Bowl and now people are saying Penn State is back. You always want the chance to prove people wrong." Robinson was quoted as saying, "But when you have people paying your bills, you're going to do what they want you to do."

7-7 ballgame

After Whitehurst was intercepted deep in San Diego territory, Robinson continued to dominate the evening, scoring the Niners second TD while running over everyone except the referees on his way to a 13 yard touchdown. The tackling on this play was atrocious, and Robinson's second efforts were all he needed to rip through the Charger D.

14-7 Niners.... yuck...

San Francisco went on another long drive after SD went 3 and out, allowing Joe Nedney to boot a 34 yard FG.

17-7 Niners.... ZZZZzzzzzzz

The first half came and went, much like Ryan Leaf's career, as in, did it really ever happen at all? Wake me up on sept 10 at 10 am... when its for real.

On to the second half, where Elliot finally got in some game action. Elliot has a long way to go, and if the Chargers can dig up a living breathing veteran QB that does not SUCK, he will probably end up on the practice squad.

After another Nedney FG made it 20-7 SF, i drifted out somewhere past Pluto... watching the frog jumping contest from 1973 on classic wide world of sports is more exciting than this... i think the problem is that when it COUNTS, football is the best, most thrilling sport there is. Watching players go through the motions is just not a replacement for a screaming crowd in the 4th quarter.

Cletus Gordon woke me back up from my stupor, intercepting a Shawn Hill pass and returning it 85 yards for a Charger touchdown. yea! Gordon has probably secured himself a roster spot, no small feat on a well stocked Charger team.

20-14- when is Galactica on?- not till 2 am... ohh...

Add yet another FG by San Francisco, and we have our final result, a 23-14 victory by the b squad over the c squad.

PRESEASON ENDS!!! Huzzaahhhh!!!

Now I can down to business, the Chargers open the season next Monday at OAKLAND. Marty has had a whole month to prepare for RAIDER WEEK, and said as much afterwards, "It's Raider week, It's time to get to work." i fully expect the Chargers to DESTROY the Raiders, who are in shambles. Game time is 7:15 pm?? ok...on ESPN HD. Was it just me, or did last nights broadcast set a new low for blurry picture? let me know if any of the rest of you thought the picture was terrible during most of the game..