1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Season on the line(s)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    November 4, 2009

IT’S ALL ON THE LINE

Feels good to be rooting for a winner again. Even if the last two victories were against two of the league’s worst teams and two of the league’s worst quarterbacks.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m glad the Chargers beat the Raiders on Sunday to move to 4-3 and give meaning to at least the next few games on the schedule.

But let’s face it. The Raiders are horrible. They’d be better off with Al Davis at QB instead of Jamarcus Russell. Davis could wheel around back there, maybe even run the Wildcat. The old man would be tough to bring down, since he looks like he’s covered in Brylcreem.

Now the Chargers will get a real test when they travel to the Meadowlands to face Eli Manning’s New York Giants. Win this one, and the Broncos will start looking over their shoulders, fearing another end-of-the-season collapse. The Ravens proved Sunday that Denver certainly isn’t a world-beater.

And had that ball not been deflected into Brandon Stokely’s arms in Week One, or had Norv called a smarter play on fourth down of the Chargers’ demoralizing loss to Baltimore, San Diego could be right where it was supposed to be.

But if this season is going to amount to anything more than an exercise in frustration, the Chargers must shore up their offensive and defensive lines.

The linebackers played much better against Oakland, but the front three did very little. Didn’t hear Luis Castillo’s name called at all.

The offensive line is a mess. Dan Fouts was right when he said during the first half: “Any running back would look bad with no blocking.” LT is a warrior, diminished or not. But he can’t make 11 guys miss.

So this season really is on the line, literally and figuratively. Shore up the play at the line of scrimmage and this can still be a great team.

If not, time to start talking Padres.

One of the best moments of Sunday’s game was Shawne Merriman recording his first sack of the season. If you were watching on TV, not only did you get to see a little Lights Out dance, but in the background there was Shaun Phillips smiling and celebrating as if he had made the play himself. Great teammate, that No. 95.

LOOKALIKE ALERT: Phillies right fielder Jayson Werth and Chargers long snapper David Binn.

Prediction for next Sunday: Chargers expose New York’s weak defensive secondary and upset the Giants, 34-31.

-- MIKE FLEISS -- UT

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Just noticed the Gnat's have given up 183 points in 8 games.

We should be around the 30 point mark easily.

It's all going to come down to our defense.

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

3. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    we have to come out swinging. play like its december. play like this games for the afc west. cmon guys, THIS fan believes in you!!! :bolt:

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851

They've given up 112 points the last 3 weeks! That was to three pass-happy offenses with great QBs.

Hmm....

5. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Here comes the 4th!!! :abq2:

6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    This game (as with so many others) will come down to 3rd downs. Can we protect and convert when we have the ball and can we pressure and force when we're on D?

God I hope so. :bolt:

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I think this game can definetly make the season, but not so much break it, if the Chargers lose say by 3-4 points it doesn't mean the season is a waste

8. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers O-line facing Giant challenge

Casey Pearce
    Posted Nov 6, 2009

The Chargers have allowed just one sack in their last two games, and their ability to protect Philip Rivers will be paramount Sunday against a talented Giants front seven.

As the Chargers’ offensive line has studied overtime in the film room this week, one thing they’ve learned from the Giants’ physical, aggressive defense is to expect the unexpected.
    “They blitz a lot, but they don’t do a lot of things repetitively,” center Scott Mruczkowski[​IMG] said. “They’re always coming up with new blitzes and running different things. They don’t really have a blitz that they feature that they’ll run over and over again. They’ll bring corners off the edge, bring safeties down. It’s definitely going to be challenging.”
    Despite battling injuries in the secondary, the Giants enter Sunday’s game against the Chargers ranked third in the NFL against the pass. Much of their success can be attributed to a talented front seven that knows how to get to opposing quarterbacks. Led by Pro Bowlers Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck, New York has 18 sacks as a team, tied for seventh most in the NFL. Eleven different Giants have recorded at least a half sack this season.
    “They’ve got a lot of guys that can change games,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “They’ve got a lot of guys who can make plays. They do a great job with their blitz scheme. They’ve been able to get great pressure on quarterbacks and that’s kind of been their deal. It’s a great challenge.”
    The challenge arrives as the Chargers are coming off their two best performances of the season as far as pass protection. In consecutive wins over the Chiefs and Raiders, Philip Rivers[​IMG] was sacked just once in 55 pass attempts, a vast improvement over the 15 times he was dropped in the team’s first five games.
    “I think we’ve all executed better, executed to our ability,” offensive tackle Jeromey Clary[​IMG] said. “We did our jobs and didn’t try to do more than our jobs (the last two weeks). We’ve got to continue to get it done and we’ll have our hands full this week with a talented group. If we can all do our jobs and block by the rules of the protection, we should have the success we’re looking for.”
    Mruczkowski believes the decline in sacks and pressures can be credited to the offense as a whole, not just the improved play on the offensive line.
    “We’ve found a good mix of short routes and deep routes to keep teams off balance,” Mruczkowski said. “The backs doing a good job picking guys up, the ball is coming out quicker. Everything contributes to that and it’s been fun.”
    Turner said the Chargers have also benefitted from stability up front. They shuffled their lineup early in the season due to injuries to center Nick Hardwick[​IMG] and Louis Vasquez[​IMG]. Sunday will be their fifth-consecutive week with the same starting lineup along the offensive line.
    After being touched just twice last week against the Raiders, Rivers was extremely complimentary of his offensive line.
    “I think they’ve improved every week as we all have,” Rivers said. “These last few weeks they’ve played well and are really meshing well together. There have been a lot of guys shuffling in and out of there. It hasn’t been very constant. They’re finding that timing and togetherness you need with an offensive line. I think they’ll be excited about the test they’ve got this week.”

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I hope we see a couple of roll-outs from PR, a couple of quick hits to Gates, a couple of screens, and toss in a couple of 50 yard bombs to VJ !!!

Recipe for success!!!

:abq1::abq2::abq1::abq2:

10. LIGHTS

LIGHTS BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    We need to score on the opening possession. I think if we can do that, and our D can show early on that they aren't going to roll over, I think we have more than a good chance of pulling this off.

I expect a big day out of Sproles. The screen pass is going to go a long way on Sunday.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Me, too. PR can't work his magic if he doesn't have the ball. TOP will be a BIG key to this game.

PR will likely have to present a moving target for these guys. Rollouts, indeed. :yes:

Not just to Sproles, either. Can't be that one-dimensional. LT, Gates, Naanee, Tolbert - any of these guys, & the WRs, can & should be used to overcome the pass rush. Quick slants, 3-step drops, dump-offs - we Can't expect to rely on time for big downfield patterns to develop. I hope to be able to hit a few but defeating that pass rush is key for the offense.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We better be able to kick em' while they're down!!!

Gnats are not a good team right now!!!

13. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    This is our second chance to kick a good team when they are down... we screwed up with the Steelers!

The Gnats will come out determined...we need to shut them down early...the best way is put Eli on his back early in the game!

I know that if we punish Eli early he will become Sheli quickly!:icon_twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  14. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    That's it - Dec in NY Let's get the winning feeling again.