1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers seek to recoup nearly $4mm from Foley

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buttmunch, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I was just reading about how the Bucs and the Broncos are going after Plummer for around $7mm in bonus money and then I see this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2965932

The San Diego Chargers have filed a grievance seeking to recover nearly $4 million in bonuses paid to Steve Foley, the veteran linebacker who suffered a career-ending leg injury when shot by an off-duty police officer on Sept. 6, 2006.

In the grievance, first reported by the San Diego Union-Tribune and confirmed by Foley's agent and other league sources, the Chargers will attempt to recoup a $1.25 million signing bonus paid to Foley in 2004 when he signed with the club as an unrestricted free agent, and roster bonuses of $1.65 million and $875,000 paid in 2005 and 2006, respectively.

The Chargers terminated Foley's contract earlier this spring. He did not receive his base salary for 2006 after being shot three times by an off-duty Coronado, Calif., officer who had chased Foley in an unmarked car after he suspected that the veteran linebacker was driving while impaired.

"We talked settlement and thought we had it resolved, but the paperwork was never drawn up and signed," Foley's agent, David Levine, told the Union-Tribune. "Evidently, San Diego had second thoughts on what we had agreed to. We're still hopeful there will be a resolution that we're both pleased with."

To continue, read the article....

• Like Like x 1
  2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Yikes. I guess he's screwed.

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    :yes:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    and with a decent lawyer he'll get ALOT more then $4Mil

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

The guy has problems.
    This was not his first, second or third alcohol related arrest.
    He had some problems when he was with the Bengals.

I met him a few times before this happened. He's an extremely nice guy. Too bad his drinking gets the best of him!!!
    He should just be glad that he didn't kill somebody or himself!!!

6. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    :yes:

7. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    i believe we cant have distractions like this on our team we need unity ,the team needs to run like a well oiled machine

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The Chargers should just seek the money directly from the City of Coronado and eliminate the middle-man.

9. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

If this guy was such a problem-child, how in the hell did he get signed to the Chargers in the first place? I wasn't paying the kind of attention when he was brought on the team that I am now, but hiring someone with those kinds of troubles doesn't sound like AJ.

10. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    We should get that cap space back now, right? I know 4m pro-rated isn't very much, but with the crunch coming up after 2009 it could be decisive in keeping one of the fringe guys like Olshansky in town.

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm figuring Coronado will want to settle out of court. Foley was unarmed and Mansker appears to have violated more than one standard proceedure.

12. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I think AJ decided to take the entire cap hit for Foley last year. So, this year, there's no residual cap space.

Can you confirm that Shammy?

13. asela

asela BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I don't like this coming out so close to the start of the season. Foley is still very close, and well liked by his teammates, and it kind of messes with chemistry, IMHO. Players who have or are thinking about taking less to stay with SD, we be a little resentful that the organization doesn't make the same effort to take care of their own.

A better way, I'd think would be to file with Foley to recoup the money (basically cap space), with a wink/wink agreement with his lawyer to give him back the amount they agreed on, on some outside consulting fee or maybe the Chargers donate to Foley's legal fees, so he'd essentially get the money back in his settlement (while also showing even more financial losses he suffered due to the shooting).