1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Create an Account or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers set to decline outside suitors on Jan. 1

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Dec 6, 2006.

  1. robdog

    robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

    Jun 29, 2009
    Source: <a target="_blank" href="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6247178?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5">Associated Press</a>

    By Bernie Wilson

    <img width="254" height="165" align="left" alt=" Chargers spokesman Mark Fabiani: "We're willing to pursue any avenue that will reach the goal: keeping the Chargers in San Diego." " title=" Chargers spokesman Mark Fabiani: "We're willing to pursue any avenue that will reach the goal: keeping the Chargers in San Diego." " src="http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20051014/images/chargers.jpg" />SAN DIEGO (AP) - Still without a deal for a new stadium after 4 1/2 years of trying, the Chargers aren't quite ready to punt on San Diego County.

    Although the Chargers will be free to negotiate outside the county beginning Jan. 1, the team's lead negotiator said Wednesday night that they will decline to do so, at least for the time being.

    The Chargers' negotiator, Mark Fabiani, said potential sites in suburban Chula Vista and National City are promising enough that the team will continue to explore the possibility of building a stadium there.

    The team has said it needs to replace Qualcomm Stadium in order to remain financially competitive with other NFL franchises. The Chargers have ruled out a new stadium at the Qualcomm site because of San Diego's financial crisis and friction with City Attorney Mike Aguirre.

    "We just want to be clear with everybody, especially the San Diego region and in particular our fans, that we will keep working on a solution in the county," Fabiani said. "Although we'll be eligible on Jan. 1 to talk to other cities, we don't intend to do so. There's no ticking clock."

    If cities from outside the county contact the team after Jan. 1, "we will listen to what they have to say, explain our situation, tell them that we are still working hard to find a solution in San Diego County and politely decline further discussions for the time being," Fabiani said.

    Fabiani wouldn't say how long the Chargers were willing to explore local options before listening to any outside overtures.

    "What we've said is we want to take the amount of time necessary to get to the bottom of these sites and figure out if they'll work or not," Fabiani said.

    "We're encouraged by the way Chula Vista and National City have approached this process. They've done so with great professionalism and great energy. That's an encouraging thing. There are a few potential sites that deserve further exploration."

    The Chargers can leave San Diego after the 2008 season if they pay off the approximately $60 million in bonds the city issued in 1997 to expanded Qualcomm Stadium.

    Fueled by LaDainian Tomlinson's touchdown surge, the Chargers are 10-2 and on the verge of clinching just their second playoff berth in 11 seasons. With 26 touchdowns, Tomlinson needs three more to break Shaun Alexander's single-season record of 28 set last year.

Share This Page