1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers set to waive Merriman

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    San Diego Chargers set to waive Shawne Merriman - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN

Vikings WR Randy Moss may not be the only Pro Bowler who will hit the NFL’s waiver wire this afternoon.

Chargers LB Shawne Merriman is scheduled to take a formality physical with the team today and provided he passes for his injured calf will be waived by San Diego, FOXsports.com has learned.

Merriman was placed on special injured reserve list earlier this season that called for the team to release him upon him passing a physical. If he fails it then he’ll remain with the Chargers until he can pass a physical. Like Moss, because Merriman will be released after the NFL’s trade deadline he is required to go through the waiver process rather than become an immediate unrestricted free agent.

If a team claims him, he is owed approximately $1.7-$1.8 million in remaining salary for this season. The former Pro Bowler will become an unrestricted free agent after this season.

The NFL waiver order as of today would be Bills, Panthers, Cowboys, 49ers and Broncos. The 49ers nearly had a trade worked out for Merriman this offseason and the Cowboys went back and forth between choosing Merriman and DeMarcus Ware during their NFL Draft. The next two teams are the Lions and then, ironically, Moss’ most recent former team, the Vikings.

When Moss and Merriman are placed on waivers this afternoon, teams will place a claim in for each and whoever has the worst record of those participants will be awarded the player.

2. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I would like to see him go to the bills.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't see any of those teams claiming him. He is a free agent after the year, so any team bringing him in would be gambling that he would help them in a playoff run this year, and none of those teams have even the slightest chance of making the playoffs.

I expect Merriman to go unclaimed, the Chargers to take on his salary, and for him to sign as a free agent with a contender

4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Awesome, I've been terrified that we might actually get compensation for one of our ex-stars leaving.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That won't happen. AJ would rather get nothing then take less then the price he sets. If he ran a business like that, he would be out of business. Could you imagine a car dealer saying "This car is $20,000 and I would rather take nothing, than lower my price". He would be out of business.

6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    What I see to be really interesting would be if Merriman does pass the exam, then finds himself on another team and miraculously cured of his ailments and starts playing like he did in his prime... Two weeks from now for that miracle cure...

Pointy

7. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Funny. Since I eluded to this weeks ago. Hopefully you get the same response I did.

8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    It will be interesting to see what happens when he gets off the AJ Piss©. Trumpy may have some explaining to do.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Merriman is gone.

10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    And Buster to IR, F me, the lad is either soft or jinxed or both.

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Merriman to the Broncos perchance?.

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    They are one of the favored teams. Supposedly the Ravens said nah....

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yeah, who snuck the team on the cover of the f'in Madden game?!

14. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
  15. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Again, just wanna reiterate... this is why you don't buy player's jerseys before they are cemented here.

If you need an update, here is a list of current Chargers players jerseys that are ok'd by the dept of random approval of all things random:
    #17 Philip Rivers
    #85 Antonio Gates
    #23 Quentin Jammer

That's it. Only 3. Take your pick... Home, Away, Authentic, Throwback, etc.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No kiddin. If I buy a Jersey it is a death knell to the player...

notice a trend. PR's good livin must be shielding him from the Conc-curse...

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Sad that it came to this. Fricking jeff fishers paid hit on merriman still needs to be looked at by the nfl. But they won't.

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    No. 21 was fine. The guy cemented himself as a Chargers legend before he left. Maybe your timing was off a little, but he'll be out of the league soon and you'll be able to wear it again.

Merriman had one great year. Rivers has now had several plus he's got his LTC. Gates the same. Jammer the same... because he'll prolong his career by moving to safety **ducks kick in the head** McNeill is still too early, because of his potential health risks. Shaun Phillips is on the bubble. If he gets to the Pro Bowl and then signs a LTC with the team you could buy a #95.

But that's about it for now. Don't waste your money people. Put it towards the NFL Ticket... or more beer... or both.

19. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Intersting. SF would keep him close to his favorite home.. Hollywood. Hope part of CBDs IRing, also is a sign that Legs will be back on the field soon. And Floyd I would imagine is gonna be a week behind him since he got his hamy injury after Naanee had his. Also good sign we like what we saw from Crayton Tutu and even Banks.

20. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    And he might not be the only one. Bad moon rising I'm afraid. Player wants to be cut, fake injury..

A great big FU? Cause that's what I would expect.

21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Rest assured people. Shawne Merriman is not going to be a superstar ever again. He's toast.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well then allow me to give you the GREAT BIG FU, you are expecting...

:lol: :D

23. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Got lucky and only paid 25$ for my 56, so no real big loss I was mainly goin for some SD blue to wear and rep. Glad I got my 17, I deffinatly need to get a Jammer and Gates. Personaly I said this year I spent my share on NFL Charger gear and would only get my next jersey after the SB... So looks like I got some time to save up and find a deal.

As a big fan of the player in additon to the team they are on, I would get a Siler and a Naanee jersey if they were 20$ rather than 70+ O and deffinatly would get a Scifres jersey.

24. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:D

25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Merriman was more mouth than action just not as big a bust as the Boz.

26. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I was pissed at the time, but the team did me a huge favor by switching to the sh.t unis we currently have. Since I have no desire to buy one of the current jerseys, I can't get burned!

27. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    he was never really here to begin with

28. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I did not want the Chargers to draft this guy. Then he went Lights Out and I thought I was wrong. Maybe I have this long term kind of "shining". Maybe I should consult with Kaeding. :D

29. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I will not buy another current players jersey again.

Fouts

Alworth

Joiner

These are the Jerseys I will now wear.

(Except for my all white throwback Rivers)

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I have an old mesh Winslow practice jersey and new River's and a Merriman, I reckon the Merriman can go into regular duty now.