1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers shopping Cromartie for RB

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4920302

With LaDainian Tomlinson's career in San Diego declared all but over and Darren Sproles facing free agency, the Chargers are exploring possible trade scenarios that include dealing cornerback Antonio Cromartie to acquire a running back, according to league sources.

Cromartie is a four-year starter, a former first-round draft pick and was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2007 when he intercepted 10 passes. Sources have said he has fallen out of favor with the Chargers, who also have a pair of corners in Quentin Jammer and Antoine Cason that were first-round picks.

The Chargers' most pressing offseason need is in the offensive backfield. Tomlinson declared shortly after the season that he believed his nine-year career with the Chargers is finished. He expects to be released shortly. Sproles is a pending restricted free agent who would be due $7.3 million in 2010 if the Chargers tender him a contract, a 10 percent increase over his 2009 franchise-tag salary of $6.67 million. Sproles has said he intends to test the market but expressed a preference to remain in San Diego.

Among the teams that have running back depth are the Dallas Cowboys with Marion Barber, Felix Jones and Tashard Choice at the position. Several teams are looking for cornerback depth, including the Green Bay Packers, sources said.

The Chargers may be willing to trade Cromartie for a draft choice that could give them more flexibility to select at least one running back in this year's draft, sources said.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    1st round pick! Even if we have to package a 4th or 5th with him.

Something to help us land Dan Williams or CJ Spiller.

3. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Dream big. :lol:

I don't know which team is in such desperate need of a corner that they would give up a first for a guy who can't tackle.
    We would probably have to give up more than just Cro in order to get Choice.

4. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
  5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Would they give up a 1st round pick for a 25yr old physical freak who has proven he can play at a pro bowl level in the past?:icon_shrug:

In a league where passing is becoming the name of the game, and BIG WR's are the targets, CB has become the 'left tackle' of the defensive side of the ball. Trust me there will be a team that doesn't care if he's a cowardly tackler, or if he can't cover a small slot reciever.

If we settle for Tashard Choice I'm going to be pissed.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Some of the names in that list I'd like to make a trade for; namely Matt Forte, Marion Barber and Brandon Jacobs.

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    That means we have an extra draft pick for a kicker! :icon_banana:

8. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    L Maroney's name has been thrown into the mix also. I cant say I know too much about him not sure if thats the kind of back we want.

9. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Jerry Jones will not trade his boy toy Felix Jones. He is more likely to trade Barber.
    The Packers may want to part with Brandon Jackson or DeShawn Wynn. I don't see either of them being a featured back.
    Either way we may need more than one back depending on Sproles. Hell we may need three, what's up with Michael Bennett??

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    We're not the Raiders. We're not going to use a 1st rounder on a kicker then make him the highest paid kicker in history. :lol:

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    [​IMG]

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am not sure that Cromartie right now has a lot of trade value.

13. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Yes!! TAKE CJ SPILLER!!!!:tup:

14. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Well, since Cro was a first round pick, and has played in the pro bowl, anything less than a first round pick would be a waste...he's of more value to us than a 2nd rounder.

And when Tashard Choice is the best name being floated, and even that one has been dismissed already...I put no faith in this.

15. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Those comments are pretty ridiculous. Why would we want Lawrence Maroney or Marshawn Lynch? Especially some of the people who are saying trade Cro for one of them straight up. Cro might not be worth much but NE or Buffalo would be getting a steal for that...idiots.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    If we could get a good running back in the deal, we could still draft a complimentary back in the draft. The best pairing I could think of would be to get Brandon Jacobs from NYG (and I have heard that he's disgruntled and wants out) for Cromartie and then draft a Spiller or a Best (more likely) or someone who could be a faster back. Get a great thunder/lightning combination.

Now if i'm REALLY dreaming

Cro for Matt Forte & then draft Toby Gerhardt or another big running back - we can use our first two picks on DL and then grab Gerhardt/whomever later.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Good logic.

While we're at it, we should trade Craig Davis, but not settle for anything less than a 1st rounder because otherwise it'd be a waste.

18. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    :lol:

Has he played in a pro bowl? Led the league in receptions (even if it was for only one year?) If he had, I doubt anyone would be in favor of trading him for a backup middle linebacker.

It's a pass happy league, trading a starting caliber corner for a backup running back doesn't make much sense to me.

Call me crazy.

It might happen...but Cromartie has more value than people give him credit for.

19. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Very good counter-arguments.

We should also trade LT and not settle for anything less than two 1st rounders because he's a hall of famer.

in case you're still missing the point behind the rhetoric, we can't trade a guy based on what he once was. His value is what he currently is, and Cro is currently an average at best CB who can't tackle worth ****.

21. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I love the idea of Aquiring Brandon Jacobs and drafting C J Spiler!!!! ...but dreams are free.

We could package Cromartie with our 2nd rounder and move up to get C J Spiller and possibly trade our late first for Brandon Jacobs...thats the only way I see that happening :yes:

22. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    No way. Jacobs sucks now! Blount in the 4th will be better than jabos!

• Like Like x 1
  23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    :huh: Not the same thing bud, Cromartie is only 25 and still has major upside in the right situation. Teams desperate for a #1 CB will surely value him more than we do with Jammer and Cason.

LT is 30, has clearly lost a step, and has little or no upside left after over 13,000 carrer touches.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I know it's not the same exact thing but the base concept still applies.

You can't say he has the same value he did two years ago just because he was once a pro bowler.

The fact remains that he's been nothing more than average and has shown a lack of ability, and even worse a lack of desire to tackle over the past two seasons.

Those facts don't go away just because he had a good season in 2007 and was a 1st round draft pick.

25. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I agree with all of that, but its not like he's lost step like LT, he's shown he's capable of a Pro Bowl season and STILL HE'S ONLY 25!

Its also a question of supply and demand, the NFL has become a passing league, and if you look around there is a real shortage of good CB's.

26. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I want Cro out of here, at this point I don't care what we get for him, his attitude can't be tolerated in this team

27. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    What would be perfect would be to trade cro for a early to middle 2nd rounder. Then we could get our really good rb. And with the first get a really good cb (that can and will tackle). :yes: I really like the cb from boise state. He's a very good one.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I conceded that it's not the same exact situation (even though I was never really trying to say it was) I'm just saying the base concept still fits.

We can't settle for nothing less than a 1st rounder on the grounds that he had a pro bowl season 3 years ago.

29. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    2yrs ago...:yes: He went to the Pro Bowl in Feburary 2008, it is now Feburary 2010. I'll admit the 2008 season (injured or not) was an embarrassment, but his 2009 season was good up until the end.

At worst he's worth a top 5 pick in the 2nd round.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    By the time his importance to his new team becomes relevant it will be 3 years. (In football-season terms)