1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers shuffle roster

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Chargers.com
    10-5-2010

SAN DIEGO – The Chargers signed outside linebacker Cyril Obiozor (SEER-uhl OH-bee-AH-zer) from the Arizona Cardinals practice squad and re-signed cornerback Dante Hughes[​IMG] on Tuesday. The team also placed linebacker Jyles Tucker[​IMG] on Reserve-Injured.

Obiozor, 6-foot-4, 249 pounds, played in five games for Green Bay last season, primarily on special teams, after transitioning to outside linebacker out of college. The Arizona Cardinals claimed him off waivers in September. He was inactive for their first game this season, played in their second and spent the last two weeks on the Cardinals’ practice squad.

Hughes has spent most of the last two seasons on the Chargers’ 53-man roster but has played in just one game.

San Diego placed Tucker (chest) on IR for the second consecutive season. He played in seven games last year before an ankle injury ended his year prematurely.

Tucker joins linebackers Donald Butler[​IMG] (Achilles) and James Holt[​IMG] (shoulder) on Reserve-Injured. Larry English[​IMG] (foot) and Shawne Merriman[​IMG] (calf) also missed Sunday’s game against Arizona.

The Chargers signed rookie linebacker Nate Triplett to the practice squad as well.

Triplett, 6-foot-3, 247 pounds, was a fifth-round pick by the Minnesota Vikings in 2010. He made 105 tackles as a senior for the University of Minnesota at middle linebacker, his only year as a full-time starter, after earning his reputation as a special teams ace for the Golden Gophers. The Vikings released Triplett after training camp.

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers sign safety

[​IMG]

By Kevin Acee
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Chargers have signed safety Tyrone Carter for depth while Steve Gregory is serving his four-game suspension.

Carter spent six seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers , including their championship seasons of 2005 and '07. He spent time this preseason with the Washington Redskins.

Carter was originally drafted in the fourth round by the Minnesota Vikings.

The roster move the Chargers will make to clear a spot for Carter is not known.

3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Interesting. More time for Applewhite imo.

Also funny how AJ keeps grabbing these potential players every time any time he needs to reach. This LB sounds like a good potential convert OLB. Maybe needs to bulk up 15-20, but could end up sticking you never know. This team is never 100% home grown, tho I am sure its in the top ten of talent from within teams.

And it sounds like a good pedigree S from out of nowhere. Doubt he cracks the team.

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I trust just about every move AJ does. He finds these gems out of nowhere and makes them fit the scheme and system. The Pats have been doing that for years now. Not super star types and marquee names. Just hard working, blue collar types that get the job done and aren't "me first" type of guys. I mean, AJ's just plugging holes and creating depth. I love how AJ has assembled this team. Remember how he picked up "scrubs" like Travis Johnson, Garay and others? D-Line looks pretty damn good to me so far, esp. the run D. Goes to show you that you don't need a ProBowl type to get the job done. AJ makin it work and STILL some of you criticize him......amazing.

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Wow so many changes it is hard to keep up. Whatever about us keeping track, wonder how Dante feels, me must be in and out of the team so many times he probably doesn't know if he is literally coming or going. Wonder who gets let go for Carter?. CJ Spillman has got to be on thin ice with the special team's nitemare he has had. I've heard good things about Triplett, new place, fresh start and all that for him. That guy plucked from the Cardinal's PS goes straight into the 53 right?. He might see action sunday. I'm hoping Brandon Lang can take advantage of this opportunity. We might never see Tucker play another down as a Charger.

6. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I agree, I don't ever remember seeing this many roster moves 4 games deep in a season. It is amazing how many moves have been made.

7. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

The Sports Xchange

Oct. 5, 2010

Paul Oliver will replace Gregory, with recently signed Quinton Teal serving as the primary backup.
    This comes after the Chargers talked up rookie safety Darrell Stuckey throughout training camp, saying how ready he was to contribute early in the season. But it was clear the fourth-round pick was in over his head, and then he hurt his hamstring. He's been active for all but one game this year.
    Oliver, a fourth-year pro who has three career starts, forced a fumble near the goal line against Seattle on Sept. 26 to turn a touchdown into a touchback.
    "I'm looking forward to the opportunity," Oliver said. "Regardless of the circumstances, you have to be ready to take over at any moment. It's a chance to show that I can play consistently well over an entire game, which is something I haven't had a chance to do.
    "Steve's earned a starting spot with his production on the field and consistent play. I think I've done a good job of taking advantage of my opportunities, and I'm definitely excited and looking forward to this one."

8. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I feel bad for Dante Hughes - he gets signed and released like every other day. Who has the guy last year that we kept doing that to? I think he was a DL.

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Boone gone for Carter. I guess it means we might see Cam Thomas or Vaughan Martin one of these days.......

10. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Im finding it difficult to keep up with all the roster moves. Poor Dante Hughes, hes been cut more times than my hair.

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Brilliant!, been trying to think of a line like that ref Dante. Right now at 10.40PM Irish time Dante is still a Charger. Come back in 10 mins for an update!.

12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    injury's and poor special teams play.

13. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Christopher Smith
    Chargers.com
    10-7-2010

SAFETIES: After signing 11-year veteran Tyrone Carter[​IMG] on Wednesday, the Chargers now have a handful of players that could handle the strong safety position.

Turner expects Paul Oliver[​IMG] to start and voiced confidence in the former supplemental draft pick, now in his fourth NFL season.

“The biggest thing is not the two starters (Oliver and Eric Weddle[​IMG]), because that’s easy. It’s how you handle it when you go to all your sub packages and that’s what we’re working on right now,” Turner said.

Carter is insurance in case one of the safeties gets injured, Turner said.

“We try to stay a step ahead of it,” he said. “We’re fine at safety right now but if we had another guy get banged up we don’t want to be trying to get a guy ready in two days.”

14. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Thank god Oliver is getting his chance! He is by far our best S and hopefully next year, hes the starter and stuckey takes that bum weddles job, and if not stuckey, AJ uses one of those 5 1st-3rd round picks on a S that will takes weddles job

15. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    When Dante gets cut then signs again, does he get a signing bonus each time?

16. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Weddle isn't a bum. He is a great safety and will probably remain our starter for at least 3 more years

17. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl: