1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers sign DT Ian Scott, Release Tribble.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 23, 2008.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    http://www.chargers.com/news/press-releases/press-release-2008092386942.php

Bolts add veteran defensive tackle
    Send to a friend Print Page Adjust font size Tuesday, Sep 23, 2008
    The Chargers made a move Tuesday to bolster their interior defensive line when they signed veteran defensive tackle Ian Scott.

A six-year NFL veteran, Scott, 6-3, 302, was drafted in the fourth-round of the 2003 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears where he spent three seasons with Chargers inside linebackers coach Ron Rivera, who was Chicago’s defensive coordinator at the time. Scott’s best season came in 2004 when he started 13 games and recorded career highs in tackles (77) and sacks (2).

Prior to the 2007 season, Scott signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as an unrestricted free agent but suffered a knee injury in training camp that caused him to land on “Reserve-Injured” for the season. Scott joined the Carolina Panthers last April but was released prior to the start of the regular season.

In six NFL seasons, Scott has started 33 games and appeared in 49. He also has four-career postseason starts, including Super Bowl XLI with the Bears.

In order to make room for Scott on the 53-man roster, the Chargers released rookie cornerback DeJuan Tribble. The Chargers also released linebacker Eric Bakhtiari from the practice squad Tuesday.

2. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    What a stupid worthless pick Tribble was, the kid may be talented, but we didn't need him.

But I'm glade to see our DT problems arn't being ignored.

3. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    hope that don't mean Castillo is dinged up:unsure:

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    You know Ian Scott... of "Ian Scott" fame? :icon_shrug:

...And Dejuan Tribble. The guy p88f touted as the next great DB... the one who would take Cason's crown and replace him in the defensive backfield! You know... Dejuan Tribble!!! Poof's BOY!! :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14232&highlight=tribble+CASON[​IMG]:icon_rofl:

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Scott was most successful in 2006 when he teamed in the middle with Tommie Harris/Tank Johnson on that powerful Bears DL. Even if he had his best year in 2004, when combined with a speedy UT Scott's best ability shows; He's a space eater, known for clogging up holes, he doesn't show up much on the stats but can occupy two blockers.

I don't know how well he fits in at NT but I'm thinking other people are worried about Jamal Williams too

7. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    when u have like 3 open roster spots before a draft i dunno how worthless a pic can be

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Kinda agree......... it'll b a complete waste if Tribble pulls a Marcus Thomas and doesn't make it to the PS.

As for Scott, where's this replacing McKinney coming from?. If McKinney isn't panning out how come we have no Divens now?. Surely we shoulda gone with him over McKinney if he is not gonna make it. Funny how things turn out.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    You guys have to realize we have a pretty good roster these days.

In the old days, we needed all kinds of players. Now, we have seven draft picks each year (barring trades and such), but we might not have seven roster spots. We're going to draft guys who don't stick.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    the chargers have apparently no faith in McKinney because he hasn't been active even when the team knows that Jamal is not going at full speed yet. Bingham apparently has more value as a NT/DE and has done more apparently then McKinney.

Look for McKinney to get dropped when Cooper comes back

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Yep agree.. no doubt we have a v talented roster but I really think we need to draft guys who can come in and backup a weakish position like O line for example. We are a bit thin there. Heck if there was an O lineman out there in round 4 say, why not package all the picks u have left to go get him?. We didn't need another CB after drafting Cason and having guys like Cletis come on a bunch.

It still amazes me how later round guys fly under the radar and then appear as starters around the league. Look at Lowery mon night, I thought he looked great and yet guys like Rodgers Cro rides the pine.

12. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    This is what they did for Jacob Hester and Eric Weddle. Took a bunch of raft picks and swapped them to move up to get the guy the want.

And for now on, we could trade picks to get 4 or so a year. that way we only get guys we want, without wasting time on guys who have no spot on the team. With the great UFAs we ALWAYS get, it's like we get extra picks anyway. Not to mention conditional picks for FAs that leave, like Donnie Edwards and D-Flo.

13. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    All players coming out of college are a gamble - some more than others obviously. Until you get a close look at them in TC and pre-season games, you only have college games and combines to base assessment on.

How AJ decides on which players to take a punt on in later rounds vs waiting for them to be an UFA must be a real science.

My main worry going forward is the immediate investment our DL will need next year and having only the 32nd pick available on the first day of the draft.

14. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Sources said the deal was for two years.

Scott replaces cornerback DeJuan Tribble on the roster, but within the next couple of weeks will probably force the release of Brandon McKinney.

The Chargers likely will not carry three nose tackles, especially since Ryon Bingham can double as a tackle and end. McKinney has yet to be active this season.

A decision on who to cut does not have to be made until Oct. 4, the day before the Chargers play Miami. That's because after linebacker Stephen Cooper returns from suspension Monday, the Chargers have all that week to decide how to make room for him on the roster.

Scott, 26, injured his knee in training camp before the 2007 season and spent that year on injured reserve. He was cut by the Carolina Panthers last month because he was not healthy yet.

He played in Chicago under current Chargers linebackers coach Ron Rivera, who was the Bears' defensive coordinator. Scott spent the past three weeks rehabbing, and the Chargers had been watching him.

In the likelihood Tribble clears waivers, he will be signed to the practice squad. The Chargers cut linebacker Eric Bakhtiari from the practice squad.

15. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    6'3" and 300 lbs tell me that if he gets snaps they are most likely at DE. I know that Bingham has played both NT and DE. My guess is that he would rotate in the middle.

16. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    This is exactly why AJ has been bundling picks up to get guys he wants in the draft. When you have a loaded roster, you don't need as many picks. You will see many draft picks come and go in the near future.

17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    will the additional pick (for Michael Turner's departure) be awarded this coming draft? if so, the way he's playing should net a 3rd rounder (of course since the NFL loves the Chargers:no: it will probably be a fourth rounder)

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm still pissed about keeping Tribble over Divens. I thought the kid showed promise. He's athletic for a big man, moved his feet well, & at times during the preseason was the only guy on the DL stuffing people. Good eye, DB. :tup:

Bingham is a better b/u for the middle than McKinney. He's quicker, stronger, & uses his hands better. I see McKinney getting pushed out before long. This won't be AJ's last move on D.

It will & could well be a 3rd-rounder the way MT is playing. I love his success - as long as it doesn't affect the outcome of our meeting with Atlanta. Turner's numbers so far & his contract warrant a third.

19. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I can't imagine Scott as anything but a NT

1. He was the NT in the 4-3 and has always been a NT
    2. He doesn't have the speed, the hand placement or the moves necessarily to play outside
    3. Bingham has better value as a DE then as a NT
    4. McKinney's lack of playing time combined with Jamal's trouble suggest he's brought in to play NT

20. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    The is no such thing as a NT in a 4-3. Do you watch the game? :icon_rofl:

Plus, why does everyone say McKinney sucks a still biatch that we kept him over Divens? I don't think that AJ is that much more clueless than Joe fan.

21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    There's a NT and a UT - nose tackle, undertackle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose_tackle

In a traditional 4-3 defensive set, the nose tackle (NT) is one of two defensive tackles, usually on the weak side of the offensive line. His job is to take up the center and weak-side or pulling guard so that the smaller 'rush' end has a 1-on-1 matchup with the offense's blindside tackle. The second defensive tackle sometimes referred to as an 'under tackle', takes up the strongside guard and the strongside end takes up the strongside offensive tackle. More modern, cover 2 schemes include either four smaller, athletic linemen, like Tony Dungy's scheme, developed in Tampa Bay; or two small, athletic ends and two nose tackles, like the scheme used by the Baltimore Ravens during their 2000 championship season.

SUCKA

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Rams just released Fukier Brownpants, I bet they pick up Tribble.

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This is one reason I'm pissed off at Merriman and questioning AJ's judgement in handling his situation. Pupping Merriman, or putting him on IR, would have put Divens on our roster instead of in Baltimore. Stone is a guy who can't stay off the injury report. He's small for a NT to boot.

24. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    The best you could come up with is Wikipedia? :icon_rofl:

The 4-3 employs two one gap defensive tackles. There are plenty of variations, some of which would constitute one of the DT's lining up over the center, but the NT is a position unique to the 3-4. I would think that the resident podcast expert would know that. :yes:

Also, a very common piece of knowldedge, most 4-3 DT's translate to DE's in the 3-4. I guess your insider didn't hip you to that fact. :icon_shrug:

25. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

For all you Rep Hoe types. This biatch red bombed me for this post.

:abq1::abq2::abq1:

The fat phuck is more concerned about his "rep" than about facts. :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  26. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    not all employ one gaps, as that article suggest there's many variations of the 4-3 and one (the most common) has a NT and a UT. The basic nose tackle, regardless 3-4/4-3, is to take on blockers and clog up the middle. That a 3-4 NT is different than a 4-3 NT does not change the fact that the phrase means something similar. That you can't deal with the fact you are wrong is your own business and the red bomb was a joke more then anything else, if you took it another way then I'm sorry.

27. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Looks like Tribble has cleared waivers and made it to the PS as per Kevin Acee spotting him on the field wednesday.

Phewwwwww.