1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers sign eight free agents

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007

The San Diego Chargers have signed eight players to one-year contracts, five of whom they’ll allocate to play in NFL Europe this spring.

Offensive tackle Jeromey Clary, tight end Kelly Griffeth and running back Tyrone Gross each spent time on the Chargers’ practice squad in 2006 and each re-signed with the team for 2007.

Quarterback Brett Elliott, cornerback Gabe Franklin, linebacker Kurt Kahui, tight end T.J. Cottrell and offensive tackle Tony Pape will represent the Chargers in NFL Europe.

Elliott, Franklin and Kahui all have practice squad experience with the Chargers. Elliott went to training camp with the Bolts last season as an undrafted free agent and spent the first three weeks of the season on the practice squad. Franklin was signed to the practice roster on Oct. 10 and remained there for the balance of the season, including playoffs, while Kahui was signed Dec. 13 and he too remained through the postseason. Elliott will play for the Rhein Fire, Franklin will join the Cologne Centurions and Kahui will play for the Amsterdam Admirals.

Cottrell is the son of new Chargers defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell. He’ll make his second trip to NFL Europe this spring where he’ll play with the Frankfurt Galaxy. In 2005, the younger Cottrell played for the Rhein Fire.

Pape was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the seventh round of the 2004 NFL Draft. The former Michigan Wolverine will join Kahui with Admirals. A year ago, Pape played in Europe for the Berlin Thunder.

http://www.chargers.com/news/press-releases/press-release-20070227.php

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Im a big fan of Brett Elliot. I met him at a football camp one time in Linfield. He won 3 strait D3 national championships and practically shattered every QB record.

He was supposed to start in front of Alex Smith at Utah before he got injured.

3. TCHDNSD

TCHDNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    I would like to see Franklin make the team. He's from our local school.
    Boise State.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Seems no matter what we do, the Chargers cant get away from Nepatism...

5. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    And who says AJ won't go out and sign FAs!!!!!

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Admin, I thought I would start him out as the mod of the leisureworld mock draft frist, then promote him to forums moderator.

7. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Why did I think Clary was a DT/DE in a 3/4??

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    you're thinking chase page another of our draft picks

i'd keep my eye on tony pape, i was very high, along with alot of other guys, about this guy in the 04 draft, maybe he could be another olivea

9. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    THANKS Ant!! I was thinking of Chase Page

10. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    The scumbag Dolphins poached him last year!:censored:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Page is now on the Dolphins?
    I know Ball went to the Jets but I don't remember Page jumping to the Dolphins

12. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Yes, they stole him off our PS and Tampa stole the center Milhouser.

13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    oh well
    always thought he WAS a PoS so its fine he's a POS on a POS PS

14. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    How? He didn't get to play any in preseason, so we never really got a look. The fact the he missed virtually all of trainning camp and the Dolphins signed him to their active roster, not practice squad bothers me. He may not be anything special, but I think he could have developed into a nice 34 end with us.

15. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Thank you Johnny Lightning for the news. I can't await a Charger
    player coming to Frankfurt. Of course I'll try to see him playing with
    Galaxy