1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers sign former Bears D-Lineman Tommie Harris, Sanders to IR

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by bigmike.x.09, Sep 28, 2011.

1. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    The former Bears defensive lineman agreed to a one-year deal with San Diego and will fortify the defensive line. Safety Bob Sanders also will be placed on Reserve-Injured.

SAN DIEGO – The Chargers signed defensive lineman Tommie Harris to a one-year contract Wednesday and placed safety Bob Sanders[​IMG] on Reserve-Injured with a knee injury.
    Harris, a two-time All-Pro, provides reinforcement along the injury-riddled defensive line. Luis Castillo[​IMG] (tibia) andJacques Cesaire[​IMG] (knee) aren’t expected back for a period of time and the team was uncertain of Corey Liuget[​IMG]’s status this week (calf).
    Harris spent all seven of his NFL seasons with the Chicago Bears, making the Pro Bowl each year from 2005-07. He started double-digit games at defensive tackle every year until 2010, when he played in 15 games (six as a starter).
    Harris made a career-best eight sacks in ’07. His Bears team lost Super Bowl XLI to Sanders and the Indianapolis Colts after the ’06 season. The Bears released Harris in February after he lost his starting job during last season. Indianapolis signed Harris in August but released him as part of final cuts Sept. 3.
    Sanders was signed by the Chargers this offseason after seven seasons with the Indianapolis Colts. He made 14 tackles in two games before being injured. Steve Gregory[​IMG] started last week in his place.
    “All we wished for Bob was good health and hoped to turn him loose to do his thing, which was being one great, physical, highly-competitive player,” General Manager A.J. Smith said. “It didn’t work out for him or us, and we wish him the very best. He was with us a very short time, but made a positive impact with our team in many ways, and I’ll always appreciate that.”
    The former NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2007 built a reputation with the Colts as one of the hardest-hitting players in the league, earning Pro Bowl selections in ’05 and ’07. The Associated Press made Sanders the fourth safety in NFL history to claim Defensive Player of the Year honors. He recorded 96 tackles, 3.5 sacks and two interceptions that season, a year after he helped the Colts to their second Super Bowl championship in franchise history.
    Sanders’ physical play forced him to the sideline due to injuries much of his career. He has played in just 50 games in eight seasons.
    http://www.chargers.com/news/articl...-reserve/e7b8db4a-bae5-4250-aeb4-91edbbea092b

2. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    This is straight bs!

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    No ******* way. :(

I'm speechless.

4. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    not the tommie harris part..

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I hope Sanders just bows out of the NFL. It's obvious that he just can't stay healthy.

Time for Stuckey to step up.

6. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Bob Sanders Could Have Been One Of The All-Time Greats... I Really Wanted Him To Revive His Career Here I Did... But His Body's Not Durable Anymore.. When He Mentioned All You Can Wonder Is What If.. How Good Would He Have Been If He Could Stay Healthy, His Career Is Over... Every Year Injuries Pile Up For San Diego :unsure:

7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Who??? :confused:

;)

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Check your "caps lock" key........ #imjustsaying ;)

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Ironic that we replace a high motor guy like Sanders with a soft putz like Harris.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You know - yet another DB that AJ drafted. :cool:

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Wait........ what??? They're moving Harris to safety?!?!? :roflmao:

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    He has to beat out that stud Oliver first. ;)

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight ..... but wait ..... Oliver came in after Mouton was IR'd .... doesn't that mean he's an ILB? :roflmao:

14. BoltFanDan

BoltFanDan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +95
    Injuries aren't just piling up for us...it's every single team. Goes to show...no ota's and just 4 weeks to get ready was a recipe for disaster....I blame the lockout myself. It is cleary obvious it's having a disastrous effect on this NFL season for all teams.

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Since he was sitting on the couch eating Ho-Ho's when the Chargers called, that doesn't surprise me. ;)

16. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Good depth on the line. All he needs is to have one more good 1/2 season in him.

17. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I really like Stuckey, I'm actually kinda happy that he got hurt early and not later at least we can't blame the injury if we don't get the defense together. Give Stuckey a chance, he can play!

18. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Good thing I didn't waste my time converting my CRO jersey to Sanders. :-x

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Very unfortunate and at best it was a shot in the dark. Hopefully one of the young'uns can step up and make a name for themselves.

20. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I'm sad about Sanders :(

He's a good dude and it's disappointing to see he's down for another season, especially so soon.

21. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +943
    Gregory will deff start instead.. I'd like to see Stuckey and possibly Gilchrist in the future there.. Tommie Harris wasn't a bad signing for the defensive line.. but yet again another new face in the defense..

Really unfortunate for Bob guy had 14 tackles in 2 games.. he was deff on pace for a career year.. its too bad he won't be returning next year for sure.. last one we need to lose is Gates! :mad:

22. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Bummed about Sanders, but the Harris signing is curious when Travis Johnson was still out there. They must really be down on old trapj99.

23. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Jesus Christ

24. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Travis Johnson was worthless. I'm not a fan of Tommie Harris because of his low motor, but when the guy turns it on he can be dominating. Some of AJ's best pickups have been mid-season due to injuries, lets hope he knows what he's doing now.

At worst he'll be Travis Johnson, just playing patty cake with the O-line.

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    That's what makes me scratch my head about the pick up of Harris. He hasn't shown any motor, driver or determination since probably the Bears super bowl season when he was damn near unblockable. He has been injured and hasn't been able to be of use to even more defense deprived teams like the Colts (who have been weak at DT for years). Further more he's always been a UT in a 4-3, never played in a 3-4 and never shown any ability to hold up against tackles

So why in the world did we sign him unless either A) there's something in him we don't see or B) He really was the best option out there? I'm hoping for A but expecting B and nothing of worth there

26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    :mad:

Bob Sanders =

[​IMG]

27. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Me too, but when we signed him I was crossing my fingers hoping we could get one whole season out of him. But after 3 games and he's done. At least we got him cheap:(

28. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Fixed it for ya.

29. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I think Clinton Hart is available.

30. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    This is really sh!!Ty!