1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers sign OL Orlando Franklin???

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Mar 8, 2015.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
  2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    They can't yet, not until tuesday

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    As for where he would fit, maybe

LT Dunlap
    LG Watt, FA or rookie
    C Watt, FA or rookie
    RG Fluker
    RT Franklin

4. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    Seen that report too. Being touted as working the right side with Fluker. Hope it is right. Significant upgrade on the OL.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    • Like Like x 1
  6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    If this is a done deal, it'll be very interesting to see what they do with him. He's 6'7 320 with 35 inch arms, and he's got better feet than Fluker. I think the move to LG was more out of necessity after losing Beadles last year.

I expect it's an expensive deal, but that can be mitigated a little by releasing Chad Reinhart.

7. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Bring on Iupati.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Orlando Franklin (RT)
    2014 Grade (LG): +15.4
    2014 Snaps (LG): 1195

Franklin showed flexibility this season, moving from his traditional right tackle position to left guard. The drastic move hardly made a dent in his overall grading between 2013 and 2014, decreasing from +16.4 to only +15.4. He played 96.9% of the Broncos’ offensive snaps, allowed only 11 total pressures, and excelled in both pass (+9.0) and run blocking (+9.8) . Regardless of O-line position, in each of the last three seasons Franklin has finished in the Top 7 in Pass Block Efficiency (PBE). His only drawback is his penchant for committing penalties. Franklin’s stamina and versatility makes him an attractive free agent.

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The fact that he made the transition from tackle to guard means he can help Fluker do the same, if that's the way the team decides to go.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    As I understand, if he was a UFA, they could 'agree' to terms, but cant officially sign the contract until Tuesday. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ework-of-deal-in-place-with-orlando-franklin/

Report: Chargers have framework of deal in place with Orlando Franklin

The Chargers could be poised to sign one of the Broncos’ starting offensive linemen away from Denver.

A deal between offensive guard/tackleOrlando Franklin and the Chargers is “unofficially done,” an unnamed source told the San Diego Union-Tribune‘s Michael Gehlken on Saturday.

The 27-year-old Franklin has started at right tackle and left guard for Denver. He kicked inside in 2014 after playing his first three seasons at tackle. It’s unclear whether the Chargers would be signing him to play tackle or guard.

• Like Like x 1
  12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    While I like the idea of building a bully along the O-line, and Iupati is definitely a bully, I just don't think you can pay that much for a mediocre pass blocker when Philip Rivers is your QB.

I'm very interested in Rodney Hudson, he's extremely consistent, doesn't have any real holes in his game, and he's only 26. Plus it'd allow us to move Watt back to OG, where I think he belongs.

Added bonus, it takes a key player away from the Chiefs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    You say "mediocre" pass blocker, Hardwick says "roastable." :D

14. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Franklin's value is higher because of his versatility. He can play either guard position or tackle. It will be interesting to see where Franklin and Fluker play.

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Another impressive fact about Franklin: He's started 63 out of a possible 64 regular season games since entering the league.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Orlando Franklin was rated the 5th best LG in 2014. And people want him to play RT :cry:

The left side would be complete with Dunlap (6'9, 330) and Franklin (6'7, 320), Watt at C. Keep Fluker (6'5, 340) at RT, grab somebody in the draft to play RG. Plenty of options there. But man looking at those numbers, this is a jumbo sized OL.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Hardwick scoffs at such piddly numbers. ;)

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Maybe, we can convert Wilfork to RG. ;)

19. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,409
    Regarding what can and cannot happen right now, teams have been able to legally talk to FAs since Saturday but they can't officially sign anybody until Tuesday.

So they likely came to some kind of verbal agreement with Orlando but nothing is official until Tuesday, meaning theoretically something can still happen between now and then that makes him change his mind but that's probably unlikely if it's already hitting the press.

Same thing with Suh and the Dolphins.

20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    On a side note:
    Take away CB and O line as of today. Where do you think the Chargers go first in this years draft? RB? OLB? or D line?

I feel they're focusing heavily on the O line to go RB.
    I also think they can bring back Freeney on a 1 yr deal to be a situational pass rusher as well as continue to help develop Attaochu

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,409
    I'd take BPA in the 1st round regardless of position (with maybe some leeway favoring positions of need if two players are close).....but that's my blanket answer every year. (And QB is the obvious exception to that rule)

Any rate, they should probably draft a running back somewhere, but I would likely not go there round 1.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Same, but I wouldn't eliminate QB from the conversation anymore. If Mariota or Winston falls for some reason I'd keep the Aaron Rodgers/Brett Favre grooming scenario open for consideration.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    There was no Aaron Rodgers/Brett Favre grooming scenario. Favraaaah refused to work with Rodgers at all, in one interview he said it was Rodgers' job to figure things out... Favraaaaah went full jerk on Rodgers... You never go full jerk...

But I imagine TT has to be looking for the next franchise QB. Who knows how much longer PR17 will be willing or able to play?

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Actually the move to LG was because they felt Chris Harris (the OT) broke out while playing in injury-fill for Clady after he went down in 2013 - so they moved Franklin in order to get Harris into the starting lineup.

Still won't be shocked to see Franklin on the left alongside Dunlap. Denver ran heavy zone concept on their blocking scheme - not the Shanahan "dive for the knees" style, but still heavy zone emphasis - Joe D pushes a bit more emphasis on power with zone concepts (kind of the difference between comparing Oregon's blocking scheme to Alabama's). Who plays guard among Franklin and Fluker will come down to who operates best in space and at the second level.

The nice part is that if something does happen to Fluker, like an injury, we've got a player who has extended positive experience at the ROT position to cover now - which is something we haven't had in what... more than a decade?

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Yeah, the only situation in which I realistically see TT drafting a QB is if a high-ceiling guy like Brett Hundley drops well past his value point into like the 3rd or 4th round.

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Bull! This is the Chargers. He will spend a first on a 6th rounder! Wait... That was the last GM, wasn't it? ;)

27. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Or was it the GM before that?

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    The only constant will be that we don't spend a high pick on a SS, because... "well... Rodney was a 5th rounder, so surely you don't have to spend higher than that to get an All-Pro caliber player at that position, right?"

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,409
    I was calling QB the exception to the general rule independent of our actual situation....meaning I typically prefer BPA in round 1, except if BPA is a QB I'm not taking him unless it makes sense to.

30. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    BPA is a myth. Why not just draft future SBC (Super Bowl Champions)?
    Every year it gets done but no one knows which team drafts them...until the
    end of the season.

• Funny Funny x 1