1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers Sign Robert Meachem to a 4 year deal

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Brundlefly, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +297
    Per Twitter.

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Link? This is a nice recovery for a dissapointing day if its true.

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +911
    One of my good friends here in Big Bear wanted the Chargers to draft Meacham so bad, he'll be thrilled now.

5. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +297
    I can't get excited about this because of all the holes that won't get filled. Admittedly I don't know much about Meachem but don't believe he's a number 1, I'm just disappointed they let VJ walk and unless there's some serious hits in the draft and FA we're definitely going backwards.

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    There was no way to go UP after losing VJ, but Meachem was my #2 choice in this FA period. He's 6'2 215 and has 4.4 speed, he has the upside to be a lower level #1 reciever, although I don't think he'll ever be VJ.

7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Too soon for the #s per year?

8. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    4yrs 25.9M per Bill Williamson ESPN

10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Not bad then. Lets give him his chance to contribute. And lets get another in the 3-4 a year range.

11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Oh and dont kno where I saw it, but someone was worried about Tolberts visit to KC. I got home today and heard from the KC fan friend that Hillis is in KC now and actualy is probably very likely already to sign up a deal.

Doesnt guaruntee we can get Tolbert back, but can we maybe think about a RB like Michael Bush to be another offensive piece?

12. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +297
    That's what I mean, it was definitely going to be a downgrade. The upside is that it definitely leaves a lot more room to work with for the other holes but... you know AJ. I'm really bummed about this team because it constantly seems like a step backwards

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    I think the money needs to go elsewhere now. Gates, Floyd, Meachem, and Brown should be good enough for now, we can add another WR in the 3rd or 4th round.

Now go lock up Gaither, and hopefully Garay.

14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Meh.

25 starts in 5 NFL seasons is not exactly #1 receiver replacement.

Do the Chargers save a little $$ with this swap? Yes. Enough to warrant
    the downgrade from VJ to Meachem? I think it's too early to tell.

I HATE losing VJ...but the Chargers may have had too many needs to
    justify a huge payday like the Bucs (unwisely, in my opinion, given their O) gave him.

Sad day for me as a Charger fan...only way I can cope with it, is to remember
    how well Rivers played in '10, when he didn't have VJ.

As Lloyd Bentsen said, "Robert Meachem, you're no Vincent Jackson."

p.s. Pretty impressive: 3 weeks ago Rotoworld predicted VJ to Bucs, at 5 years, $56 mil

http://boltbeat.com/2012/02/22/rotoworld-predicts-vincent-jackson-to-tampa-bay-buccaneers/

15. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +502

I know these are highlights, but I see a pretty good receiver.
    1. He's fast
    2. Gets separation (because he's fast)
    3. Runs good routes
    4. A lot of YAC
    5. Attacks ball
    6. Good size

Will need to get a different jersey number, someone
    already owns #17 in San Diego.
    Go Chargers!

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642
    It's not like Meachem couldn't crack the starting line up when given the opportunity; he never had the chance playing behind Henderson, Moore and Colston. He got a little playing time in a rotation but because of all the firepower in front of him, he was never given a full chance to play.

Is he VJ now? No he's not. VJ wasn't VJ until at least 2007 (two years after drafted, and a rookie year he basically missed all of). I'll also note that VJ wasn't the #1 receiver until mid 2008 either, remember in 2007 we not only drafted Buster Davis but had to trade for Chris Chambers who became the #1 receiver. Meachem was a guy we were targeting in 07 and when the Saints grabbed him, we ended up with Davis. He will be given a chance to start, to be the primary downfield target and to play full time. I have every faith he will be an outstanding receiver in the Chargers system.

Robert Meachem Scouting Report - Scouts, Inc.
    [​IMG]
    Grade: 74 | Key

Comment: Meachem is a good-sized receiver with excellent straight-line speed and adequate agility and route-running skills. He is a downfield receiver that does a good job of eating up the cushion on defenders and can use his stride length to sneak by them. He needs work on his hard cuts because he is not great sinking his hips to get in and out of breaks with quick feet and burst. He is best when running under the deep ball and catching it in stride.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,375
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Averaging salary of $6.5M and after Hardwick's average salary of $4.5M leaves us with about $9-10M (contracts can be back loaded and what not, hopefully Hardwick's is).

Don't mind Meachem, also won't mind if we bring in Seyi Ajirotutu back and draft a guy in the 3rd, 4th or 5th rounds.

Floyd, Meachem, Brown, Ajirotutu and a Tommy Streeter, who needs to be drafted in the third round if he lasts then and hopefully he does. Don't mind it at all..

Reason why I'm giving Ajirotutu so much attention is I won't be surprised if he's back here in SD cause he knows Rivers and Norv's offense. We also have to lock up Gaither which most likely will be in that $8-10M range. Seyi would serve as a back up to a fragile Malcolm Floyd and I believe Meachem has had his injuries as well so.. it would be a good investment to have atleast 5 WR's because we all know Goodman is nothing as a WR.

Defiantly need to invest in a receiving TE behind Gates either via draft or FA. Not much in FA though..

19. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    I was thinking of looking it up, but I can tell you with confidence if you go look at the scout reports on VJ when he was drafted the shortest and most common word that was pinned to him was: Raw.

20. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Bills were pretty confident they'd have Meachem and Williams locked up by tomorrow.. I have a feeling AJ offered a few more dollars due to this WR class of FA's just got ate up and is in desperate need for one.

21. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Charlie Joiner did a fine job of turning that doughy ball that was VJ into a solid rock, and im sure he approves of taking on Meachem.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    We'll see how this experiment turns out.. he'll be 28 heading into the 2012 season..

23. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    younger than VJ. ;]

24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    yes, by a year? lol

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642
    Most of the reports I've red and seen (I have some of my old draft books from a few years ago) state that Meachem had all the tools but wasn't consistent in his routes or his catching. on the positive he did make great strides by the time he was drafted at the end of his junior year

He's probably had some work done and has become a better receiver but he's never been fully tested as a starting WR. He has all the makings of being a fantastic deep threat but he has to step it up and play well. He has done such in limited doses and I don't see any reason he couldn't step it up. If not as a #1 then definitely as a compliment to Floyd (who can go deep and medium) and with Brown who is developing.

26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Just pointing out, Colston signed for 8 million a year, and Meacham signed for 6.5. I'm still roflcoptering at someone saying we could sign both for what Jackson wanted.

27. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Yea you pretty much posted what i was thinkin of looking for for clarity. What I am saying tho is that Meacham will do well with Joiner to tutelage him and mold him to the perfect fit for this Offense.

IMO #1 receiver is about as crucial a cog as a Featureback. Its always Sweet to have one, but in NFL general they arent mandatory to sucseed.

28. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Not at all. A receiver doesn't have the Oline blocking for him, and has to beat the most athletic guy on the field (usually) for the ball 1 on 1. Featurebacks are a crappy investment in cap dollars, quality WRs are not.

29. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Your not tryin to hint around to anything there areya? "}

30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Like LBC said, Colston gave the Saints a hometown DISCOUNT. Colston certainly could have gotten VJ money but knows he is nothing to the numbers he puts in the N.O. system if he was to go elsewhere. Also the fact the organization put trust into him as an UDFA and he won a ring with them. He has a great relationship with Brees as well so he could of easily gotten $2-3M a year more.

Patriots made it to the Super Bowl without a dynamic #1. But there offense again plays to their players strengths. Something we don't do well. The double headed monster of Gronk and Hernandez and Welker running slants along the middle was too much for defenses.

If we can re-sign Gaither, I think this offense will be just about set. Unless we can get Tolbert for $2M a year which is VERY doubtful as he's good as gone.. Deff need another receiving TE, Ladarius Green seems to be growing on all of us.. Green & Gates, Meachem, Floyd & Brown would be great targets for Rivers. Mathews will be asked to catch it more as well..