1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers sign safety Tony Burnett

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Chargers sign safety Tony Burnett
    QB Mike Hermann waived, CB Kenny Okoro waived-injured
    By Michael Gehlken
    6:21 P.M.J ULY 30, 2013
    Tony Burnett left a positive impression on the Chargers.
    It just took a couple months before he fully realized it.
    The team signed the former Southern California safety to a three-year contract Tuesday after he participated in the team's May rookie minicamp on a tryout basis. In a corresponding move, the Chargers waived Mike Hermann, leaving Philip Rivers, Charlie Whitehurst and seventh-round pick Brad Sorensen as the only quarterbacks in camp.
    Rookie cornerback Kenny Okoro was waived-injured with an undisclosed injury. He'll be placed on injured reserve Wednesday afternoon should he clear waivers.
    San Diego needed help at safety.
    Jahleel Addae suffered a muscle strain in his left leg toward the end of Monday's practice. Addae, an undrafted rookie out of Central Michigan, has worked with the second-team defense at strong safety opposite Darrell Stuckey.
    Burnett was a strong special teams player for the Trojans. Listed at 6-foot-1 and 205 pounds, he finished 2012 with 28 tackles and an interception.
    Following Tuesday's off-day, the team returns to practice Wednesday at 3 p.m. The session is closed to the general public but open to invited season-ticket holders.

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,218
    Dang! And I just got Addae's autograph on Saturday... Let's hope this Burnett kid can put a knock or two on a receiver.

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    I doubt a "muscle strain" is a serious injury. There's still some time before the start of the season.

4. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,218
    Oh sorry, thought we were talking about Mathews... Never mind.

5. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Not surprised about Mike Hermann, he looked horrible in camp on Sunday. Really lacked arm strength. All his passes toward the side line(not all the way to the side line, like 3/4 of the way) were coming very close to hitting the ground, and the passes lacked zip. Comparing him to Sorensen was like night and day. They never ran a play with Hermann that allowed him to show off his legs though, which is supposedly his strong suite. Right now I would say Sorensen looks better than Whitehurst. Sorsensen has a cannon for an arm, and looked pretty accurate. Whitehurst threw a couple INT's, although he was consistently under more pressure. Think he was up against a better defense.

6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +449
    WOW!!!. Time for clipboard Jesus to depart!!.

7. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +479
    I agree. From what I saw Sorenson looked stronger and more accurate than CBJ. But how well does he hold a clipboard, that's the real question and Charlie rocks the clipboard better than anyone hands down.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,218
    ^^^ The only way that Charlie can get more women to chase him is by doing underarm deodorant commercials...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    Burnett is a likely practice squad candidate but a good guy to stash given his physical ability

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    I like the fact he's played linebacker and corner, as well as safety. That shows he's a good tackler, and fairly quick. A good candidate to develop as a safety.