1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers sign T Adam Terry

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    JasonLaCanfora

Chargers sign T Adam Terry who had been cut by Colts 22 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® Retweeted by BFTB_Chargers and 5 others

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He's not a particularly good tackle. Not sure this is the best we could have done. He couldn't crack or improve the colts poor tackle depth Nor the ravens who drafted him prior to acquiring gaither and oher.
    Wonder if we could have found a better player

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    He is brought in for depth only, not as an answer for McNeil.

4. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Can't say I know him... so I don't know if there is a better option available. At least they are trying to add some depth, lets just hope it is good depth.

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Did we release someone to sign him?

6. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I have to assume it will be Otterson.

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    This smells of desperation to me. As far as I know SD top brass has always wanted to sign big Mc long term and their arsing about has meant they are putting a 'Otterson' on the 53 then 24 hrs later picking up a cast off and most probably dumping Otterson. So feckin unnecessary. Just sign big Mc and stop the pricking about.

EDIT: confirmed, Otterson dumped from the 53 to the scrap heap.

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Chargers add Adam Terry, pick up eight for practice squad

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 5, 2010 4:32 PM ET
    The San Diego Chargers have added one offensive tackle, released another and assembled their practice squad.

The Chargers announced today that they've signed veteran offensive tackle Adam Terry to a one-year contract and released tackle Ryan Otterson to make room for Terry on the roster. Terry was cut by the Colts yesterday.

The Chargers also announced that they've put together their eight-member practice squad, consisting of wide receiver Seyi Ajirotutu, running back Curtis Brinkley, quarterback Jonathan Crompton, tight end Dedrick Epps, wide receiver Richard Goodman, center/guard Jeff Hansen, tackle Nick Richmond and linebacker Kion Wilson.

ProFootballTalk.com

9. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    As usual, you have no idea about the player or what your talking about. The Colts wanted to bring him back real bad after week one because of the money situation. Dude isnt a star player but neither is Dombro or Clary. I like the pickup and at this juncture, is the best we could do. He missed all last season with a knee injury.

10. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    I hope this more about a Backup only and less about Dombrowski not 'Doing it' it Left Tackle!

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Desperation would be trading draft picks for a fringe back up on another team in a farce attempt to find another legit starter.

This is just adding depth in case that have to go with Domb (which they probably will)

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    so Otterson went from the 53 man roster to not even in the practice squad? gotta suck for him, unless someone else picks him up, looks like the Chargers are very high on Richmond (dude really looks the parts)

13. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I like our practice squad guys and I am glad that Ajirotutu and Brinkley didn't get picked up by anybody else. If the Chargers find a way to come to terms with McNeill, Terry is toast. Right now, I don't think MM will be playing for the Chargers anytime soon (if ever) so it is Dombrowski and the guys backing him up at left tackle.

14. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    What he said

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Dombroski is already dinged up with a back and neck ailment.

AJ needs to keep finding more tackles.....D-tackles as well.

My read is that the Colts wanted this dude back if he cleared waivers after the season opener and as someone said earlier, it was because of money.

16. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Good signing. According to Boltjolt, the Colts only "released" him to avoid singing him for big bucks so they did like what they see in him, not some kind of scrap to throw in the trash. Maybe he won't start over Dombrowski but he'll surely get in the mix and provide some relief.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    The colts wanted him back but he wasn't considered a potential solution at left or right tackle even with their situation and released him to save money. Clearly he's not a star but I can't see how the chargers could not do better. Guy hasn't done squat in his career especially being drafted in Baltimore to be a starter. He was cut from the ravens after they replaced him and decided he wasn't worth keeping as a backup then couldn't crack a weak tackle depth chart with the colts and then released him But yeah your just right.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Does anybody really think we'll find a star in the scrap heap of players who were cut by other teams?

This guy was signed for depth. Nothing more. let's move on.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    History of the league is full of stories of some cast off becoming a star on a new team. AJ has found his share also. But this guy is depth. Quality, veteran depth, but depth none the less. Come December we will need him!

20. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Not liking what I'm reading about him but yeah there's potential for that

2010 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
    Grade: 64 | Key

Comment: Terry was acquired in the offseason to bolster the Colts' offensive line. He missed the 2009 season but has 18 starts during his four years in the league. Terry is an intelligent player who works hard. He is tall, but he doesn't have the power to properly man the right side and isn't quick or nimble enough to play on the left against upper-tier pass-rushers. His size is an asset but his aggression to finish is inconsistent. Too often, his opponent gets under his pads and moves him off the ball. For as tall as he is, Terry plays too short-armed and can struggle to gain inside position with his hands.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I didn't mean to suggest it can't happen, but I think it's a stretch to expect it. (Not saying anyone is, but some posts give me the impression)

I think it's a given that any signing off the scrap heap of cuts is not going to look good at first glance if you're expecting star power/impact player, or at the very least come with big question marks.

22. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

If you cared to look at the cuts by the other teams you would see there isnt much out there. If there was a better option, im sure AJ would of made that choice. And he wasnt cut by the Ravens. He played out his contract and was signed by Indy in March. He was on IR last year with the Ravens and the Colts released him two days ago so they wouldnt have to pay him some guaranteed money when they brought him back after week one. The Jets just did the same thing to FB Tony Richardson to save money.

Terry isnt a fix, but he is depth and he isnt any worse than Dombro or Clary if he is inserted in there.

23. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    Why are we buying up OL scrubs at this late stage?!!!

Why didn't we add to the depth of the OLine through the draft or early in Free-agency?? It makes sense that this should be our MAIN priority, espicially when your entire season rest soley on the Arm of one man...and his ability to stay standing the whole season.

I hate to throw this out there...but what happens if (GOD FORBID) Rivers gets nailed early in the season and can't finish...we are toast!!

HOPE THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN!!

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I never understand responses like this.

They made their bed with the draft a long time ago. If you felt wrong decisions were made then that's for another discussion, but either way that bed has already been made.

What do you want them to do? Sit on their *** and let someone they feel might be a quality depth signing go to another team because they possibly could have gotten someone else 5 months ago in the draft?

This move doesn't make what they did in the draft any better or worse and sitting on their *** not signing anyone now wouldn't change anything so I don't get bringing up the draft.

25. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    All I'm saying is that our OL depth is not very good (hence we are have to scratch around for glorified scrubs to fill the holes that we obviously have!) and I don't think it was address appropriately in the draft...this is viable question to ask now in light of recent developments and how it effects Phillip Rivers.

Paying closer attention to this earlier (say around draft time) would have left us with a hellova lot more options to choose from than say...Adam Terry now!

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Perhaps on draft day they didn't anticipate McNeil holding out all year.

27. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    After week 1, the $ isn't guaranteed, I think that was the sticking point for Polian...makes sense for AJ to roll the dice and offer him the guaranteed $. He was a 16 game starter for the Ravens punishing running game in 2006...injuries have derailed him since then. Hopefully the knee is "fixed" after Microfracture. I am ready for the Dombo era to begin, he has a chance to improve our running game.

28. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    There are no deals out there on the cut down list- even though Terry adds some needed depth.

Time for AJ to swallow a little pride and sign McNeil to a deal. WTF already? He made his point that he is the toughest SOB General Manager in the NFL so let's move along. Just sign the big guy to a one year deal (original RFA tender) and do a long time deal during the season. This BS has gone on long enough. I though we were shooting for a Super Bowl this year... not biggest prick in the league.

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    They should have, he said he would. Whether he did or not, they should have planned for worst case scenario

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Don't you think that AJ will think that by caving in, he is no longer going to be perceived as the tough guy? I don't think AJ will cave in at all, and it will hurt the Chargers that he is putting his ego over what is best for the team.

We should have done what ever was needed to get VJ traded and MM re-signed so the team could move on and not deal with the distractions all year