1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers sign two, 10 receive offers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com

Ogemdi Nwagbuo and James Holt signed contracts Wednesday while others, including starters Malcom Floyd, Eric Weddle and Jeromey Clary, received tenders from the team.

SAN DIEGO – The Chargers signed Ogemdi Nwagbuo and James Holt to contracts Wednesday and made contract offers (“tenders”) to 10 other players. Teams must make a contract offer (“tender”) to maintain negotiating rights.

“We’re moving forward under the current agreement, which is what we have to work with at this time,” General Manager A.J. Smith said.

San Diego placed tenders on nine restricted free agents, maintaining rights to the players as outlined in the current collective bargaining agreement. Malcom Floyd received the highest tender, described as a first and third-round tender, which is what the Chargers would get in compensation under the current rules should another team sign the receiver. San Diego would have to elect not to match another team’s offer.

The Chargers placed a first-round tender on safety Eric Weddle. Others that received tenders include linebacker Antwan Applewhite, tackle Jeromey Clary and running back Mike Tolbert (second round); cornerback Dante Hughes (third round); linebacker Antwan Barnes and safety Paul Oliver (fourth round); and linebacker Brandon Siler (seventh round).

Exclusive rights free agent tackle Brandyn Dombrowski also was tendered.

Linebacker Darry Beckwith, fullback Billy Latsko, receiver Legedu Naanee, long snapper Ryan Neill and safety Pat Watkins were not tendered. They will become free agents following the expiration of their contracts on March 3.

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Uhhh, Under the current, soon to expire, CBA, Floyd would be an unrestricted free agent. He has been in the league 6 years, and last years rules stated players were restricted free agents until they have 6 years of service time, which Floyd has.

Also, there is no way any new CBA ends up with players needing 6 years to be a RFA. In all likelihood, it will revert back to 4 years, if not drop to 3 as a concession for a rookie cap. So almost everyone of these players will be free to walk and these tenders are totally pointless

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  4. Shumway

Shumway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Interesting to note the priorities that the team has placed on the players though. Floyd higher than Weddle and Tolbert only receiving a 2nd rd tender. Applewhite a 2nd rd tender, but Siler a 7th.

No major suprises that Naanee was not tendered.

Can someone remind me, if RFAs reach an agreement with another team, do we have the right to match that offer, or are they gone and we get the draft pick?

Also, can you assign any tender to any player, or are you somewhat restricted by what round they were drafted in? Only a 7th rd tender for Siler suprises me. Why tender him at all if that's all you value him at?

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I think the tenders are: 1st and 3rd, first, second or round he was drafted in

The 7th for Siler was very surprising, I wonder if they think they're just going to completely change who they had at ILB next year. All we have now is Butler

Tolbert was a big surprise too, I could easily see another team making an offer for him and we could very well lose him. When you think of it, a 2nd for a former UDFA is a good value but still he was an important component. It almost suggests that AJ isn't ready to believe he could duplicate his success and instead is willing to gamble some other team wants him.

6. Shumway

Shumway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks. Do we have the right to match offers for RFAs?

The tenders may also signal impressions the front office has of others we have. If we're not too keen on Siler, it may be that we're prepared to pay what it takes to keep Burnett.

Agree on Tolbert - maybe they view him more as a commodity than an integral part of the team. It may signal how keen they are on Mathews but durability would have to be the concern.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Floyd was signed to the same tender last year, and they are basing these new tenders off the the old CBA, and under the old CBA the RFA tender guarantees a player a 10% raise. So since he got the same tender last year, no matter what they tendered him this year, he would get the same amount, so why not put the highest on him? If the 1st and 3rd will cost the team the same as a 3rd round tender, they might as well put the 1st and 3rd on him.

What it comes down to is that these tenders are totally pointless. Only the tenders on Tolbert and Applewhite will hold. The rest will continue to be unrestricted free agents.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    When does the Stupid Bowl between the players and owners kick off??

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Perhaps I am not seeing your point. What does him being a free agent have to do with the team offering him a contract?

So.... As I understand it, a team offers a tender to a player. That is a contract offer. It is not necesarrily a tag. Floyd has the right to say "No thank you" and try to go elsewhere. So I am not seeing your point, unless it is that you believe the term 'tender' is locker to free agency.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The team offered tenders in a "just in case" situation knowing that they will likely to be meaningless. But in the crazy chance that the RFA time stays at 6 years, which no one expects to happen, they tendered them just in case.

If everything goes back to 4 years, or possibly 3 years as many speculate as a concession for a rookie cap, these tended will be totally pointless, the team will get nothing for these players and the players will be unrestricted free agents. The only 2 tenders that mean anything are Tolbert and Applewhite because they still fall within that 4 year window.

As for Floyds tender, I was responding to the comment about that it shows how much the team values him over Weddle because they were tendered different offers. I was pointing out that whether they tendered Floyd with the 1st and 3rd tender, or the 3rd round tender, it would cost the team the same amount. So in the off chance that the RFA time stays at 6 years, these players would be retained by the Chargers under RFA rules (assuming they don't change).

Basically, when the CBA gets done, if the time for RFA drops back to 4 years, only 2 of the players tendered would be under control, the rest would be unrestricted free agents

11. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I'm bummed about Legedu. Always liked him. Am I the only one that thinks a 4th rounder for Antwan Barnes seems like a steal?

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Gotcha, thanks for the clarification...

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No problem.

Althought Acee doesn't outright explain it, he does touch on it article.

The only RFA tenders that likely will ultimately mean anything are the second-round tenders given to running back Mike Tolbert and linebacker Antwan Applewhite, both of whom have three years of experience.

Malcom Floyd (first and third), Eric Weddle (first), Jeromey Clary (second), Dante Hughes (third), Anwtan Barnes (fourth), Paul Oliver (fourth) and Brandon Siler (seventh) were also tendered but have four or five years in the league. It is anticipated those players will all be unrestricted under a new CBA.

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'm with you man. Barnes was a great pickup. Dude is relentless with a high motor and was pretty cheap. Gotta keep him on the team.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Barnes is a crucial rotational olb but I find siler to be an equally crucial rotational ilb. Keep em both

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree. But it will take more than a tender since those tenders will be deemed invalid once the new CBA is in place

17. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    All this talk of tenders is getting me hungry....:lol:

[​IMG]

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Wow!! the Bolt's are really beefing up for next year,if there is a next year.