1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers sign WR Mark Jones

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jun 20, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txchargersjones&prov=st&type=lgns

SAN DIEGO (TICKER) —The San Diego Chargers signed wide receiver and punt returner Mark Jones to a one-year contract on Friday.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed for Jones, who played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last season.

Jones returned 12 punts for 143 yards, with a long of 35, with Tampa Bay in 2007 before having his year cut short with a knee injury that landed him on injured reserve on October 24.

“Mark’s versatility was very attractive to us,” San Diego general manager A.J. Smith said. “He’s an experienced NFL punt returner and a solid player who will raise the level of competition in our camp.”

Jones, 27, has 117 career returns for 1,017 yards - an average of 8.7 yards - since being drafted in the seventh round in 2004 by the Buccaneers.

2. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    :icon_wtf:
    did Sproles, Cason and Cro all go down...

nice gig for Jones tho... exposure and cash...

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Training camp fodder

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    It's official: SUPER BOWL!!!!!! :icon_banana::icon_banana::icon_banana:

5. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Still nothing in the Headline/Press Release area of the news section at Chargers.com.

I posted this in "Chargers Articles" earlier ...

Chargers Sign WR/KR Mark Jones - RealGM.com

20th June, 2008 - 5:23 pm

Shologan was that Canada dude, drafted #4 overall in the CFL draft.

6. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Could this guy be part of a trade package for Haynesworth:icon_huh:

7. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    :lol:

Yeah ... forward that to Lombardo before he claims it as an original thought.

:icon_rofl:

8. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Say goodbye to Eric Parker. :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yeah. Don't see where they'll have room for him now.

10. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    That's what Acee is speculating ..... not sure how valid it is to speculate that from signing a scrub out of Tampa.

Signing of Jones could signal Parker's departure - UT Acee

11. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    What a load of crap

1. Who would want to trade for Parker?
    2. How does moving him 'shake up hte receiving crew'?
    3. Even if by some miracle Jones makes it on this team, he doesn't affect the depth chart being 1) Chambers 2) VJ 3) buster and probably 4) Legedu

13. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Acee(hack) said the same thing in this article.

The only reason I could see for Parker getting released would be due to him not fully recovering from his injury, otherwise, it seems like pure speculation building off of the signing of training camp fodder. But, since we're speculating, maybe he was brought in to take over for KO?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    He has already fallen down the depth chart. Also he hid like a ***** in an equipment locker after that choke job of fumbled punt return and had himself a good cry. Couldn't even face his team mates after the game. Some in the org/locker room might be questioning his heart. :icon_shrug:

Sproles is a better PR then he is.
    Cason was a PR in college.
    and they just signed Jones another PR.

WRs after 1&2:
    Davis, Legedu(listed as a WR on the roster now) are ahead of him and maybe even Floyd as well.

Parker is expendable.

Start the clock. Parker's Charger Career Dissipation Light just kicked into high gear.

(yeah I know, another fuking red bomb from his mommy)

• Like Like x 2
  15. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I expect this is a signing to create competition. I fully hope that Eric Parker makes the cut because I think he is a much better receiver than this signing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    1. because these writers have a way of getting info from insiders.

2. because EP isn't as good as Floyd, although, he is quick and we could use a quick receiver.....but I think Davis should play more in that role. Floyd has great hands and I don't know why he's not part of the WR corps more than what he's been. Is it his speed (or lack of it) or his route-running? I don't get it.... this kid catches anything that comes near him.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    another thought.... if sproles is going to be our number 2 RB, then they probably don't want to get him banged up returning kicks. Not sure if you want to waste a roster spot for just a kick return guy, though.

Most likely this guy is fodder, unless he really excels in camp.

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Just one item to quibble about in your campaign platform. Davis could be a alive and hooked up to machines in the owner's suite. I prefer thrive to alive. That being said, WTF? It would seem to me that acquiring a guy whose major attribute is that he "will increase the competition in training camp" to replace a guy who could in reality actually compete for a roster spot lacks a certain logic. It would seem to me that Parker's trade value would be enhanced by his presence in training camp, especially if was up to his normal snuff-even as cheap a brand of snuff as some people suppose. If Kassim has a good camp and performs well in his accustomed role, both he and Floyd are now more secure on the roster. If Buster has emerged as a realiable receiver, then we have been improved by him. I would prefer that this decision be made mano y mano, but Jones!? The ways of Gawd are indeed mysterious. If Cleveland gets its mits on a HEALTHY Parker, he most likely will have his best year as a receiver and my opinion of their status as over rated will change a bit. Parker will have real value there. Gotta go. TTFN.

19. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    • Like Like x 1
  20. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Well even Cleveland I mean their entire WR corps has issues with injury (Jurevicius and Stallworth especially, but Edwards too) and still those are their top 3 so Parker would be an immediate #4 unless they really believe Jurevicius is not and will not be healthy.

And again my point is that the Chargers, i'm betting, were thinking about dumping parker way before this. Even without him they've got 5/6 WRs (Floyd/Osgood depending).And adding Jones, unless he just goes off on training camp, will not change the 1-4 depth chart.

Teams that need WRs: Jets, Tampa, Bears maybe, Titans (won't be traded here). The Browns really don't need WRs as far as I know

21. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    UT: Signing of Jones could signal Parker's departure

the title of this thread should be "BEST FREAKING NEWZZ EVER!!!!" or "IT'S ABOUT GD TIME"

Kevin please prepair to get some red love from u know who real soon:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

:icon_banana::icon_banana:
    :abq2:

22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Not anytime soon.

• Like Like x 1
  23. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    y not ? where he @

24. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    he and I are going at it someplace else LOL

25. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    :icon_eek::icon_eek:
    :icon_eek::icon_eek:

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    They're not looking for a top guy, but Cleveland could use someone handy in the slot. I have the feeling that Jurivicius is starting to fade. Parker appears to be a good fit to a specific need of the Browns.

27. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106

[​IMG]
    i dont think this is what he meant by going @ it
    :icon_eek: :icon_rofl:
    well @least i hope not
    "not that there's anything wrong with that"
    jerry seinfeld & george costanza :lol: