1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers stadium gets only 25% support in new poll

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Nah nah nah naaaaah, Nah nah nah naaaaah, Hey hey hey....

SAN DIEGO — The San Diego Chargers still face a difficult, if not impossible, task of getting their proposed new stadium approved by voters this November, according to a YouGov poll conducted this past week at the request of USA TODAY Sports.

The online poll showed that a quarter of San Diego adults strongly or somewhat support the proposal for a new, taxpayer-funded $1.8 billion stadium and convention center downtown.

The poll showed more than half -- 52% -- strongly or somewhat opposed the measure, with the other 23% not supporting or opposing it.

The poll was conducted Aug. 19-24 with a sample size of 196 and a margin for error of 7 percentage points.

To win the vote, the team needs two-thirds of voters to approve the project because it’s a tax hike for a special purpose in California.

If the vote fails, the Chargers have until Jan. 15 to decide whether to move to Los Angeles, where they have an optional deal to share a lucrative new stadium with theLos Angeles Rams.

“We knew it was a tough climb when we got started,” said Fred Maas, the Chargers' special advisor on the stadium initiative. “It’s a tough climb today, but I’m an eternal optimistic. I believe that when people really understand that this is about so much more than just football, that it's about who we are as a city and how important this team is to the fabric of our town, hopefully we'll persuade people... We’re not in denial about the climb we’ve got.”

Maas questioned the accuracy of the poll by YouGov, an international firm that conducts polls online. In response, a spokeswoman for the company said its online polls were trustworthy because traditional phone research polls weren’t as effective at reaching younger people. She said YouGov’s results were balanced by gender and age and that Pew Research showed the company consistently outperforms competitors on accuracy.

The overall message from the YouGov data still jibes with what the Chargers already know: They’ve got a long way to go to get to two-thirds approval. Getting more than half won’t be easy, either. But if they at least reach the simple majority threshold, it’s conceivable they would have enough political influence to induce a different stadium solution in San Diego using other public funding sources.

Maas told USA TODAY Sports the campaign’s own polling has found a “healthy Chargers base vote” of about 40% to 44%.

If the vote fails, the team doesn’t have a clear Plan B in San Diego except to play indefinitely at outdated Qualcomm Stadium, the team’s home since 1967. It’s possible the team could keep trying to find a stadium solution in San Diego if the vote fails, though it’s unclear where all the money would come from after losing an election for public funding.

Asked about the team’s options if the vote fails, Maas said team owner Dean Spanos told him he’s only focused on winning this vote.

“I don’t enter this season thinking about next season,” Maas said, speaking figuratively about the election.

The stadium campaign still has used the implied threat of moving to Los Angeles to press its case. On Wednesday, Maas described the ballot measure’s opponents as those who “want to send the Chargers back into L.A.”

The campaign also has run digital ads that attack a local city councilman, Chris Cate,who has said the team’s proposal is a bad deal for taxpayers. “Why does Chris Catewant the Chargers to leave San Diego?” the ads say. “Please call and ask him.”

The team’s proposal seeks to increase hotel room taxes from 12.5% to 16.5% to help pay for the $1.8 billion project. If the ballot measure succeeds, that tax revenue would repay bonds for about $1.15 billion of the stadium and convention center’s costs. The other $650 million would come from the team and the NFL.

The team on Wednesday unveiled a study by a destination real estate consulting firm, Hunden Strategic Partners, that said the project is expected to increase hotel room revenue in San Diego by more than $750 million over its first 10 years and attract more than 900,000 attendees annually with hundreds of new events. The Hunden study was paid by the stadium campaign and commissioned by Conventional Wisdom, another consulting firm that was hired by the Chargers’ campaign.

The Hunden study counters other recent studies from a hotel industry consultant and local taxpayers association that criticize or oppose the measure.

“I think the real risk is folks not educating themselves on what they’re about to lose if they don’t make a positive choice,” said Rob Hunden, president of the firm that did the study.

The Hunden firm received $31,950 in the first half of 2016 as part of the stadium campaign, according to campaign filings.

Of the respondents in the YouGov poll, 34% identified themselves as Chargers fans. Of those Chargers fans, 48% strongly or somewhat supported the measure and 30% strongly or somewhat opposed it.

Overall, the YouGov poll found stronger feelings among those who oppose it. Data showed that 41% strongly opposed it and 11% somewhat opposed it, compared to 13% who strongly supported it and 12% percent who somewhat supported it.

The poll asked to what extent they supported or opposed the initiative after describing the tax increase, the estimated cost and the contribution from the team and NFL.

Maas said the stadium campaign’s own polling numbers improve “depending on what the turnout looks like.”

“It grows … when people understand that not one dime of their money will be used to build this facility if they live here and don’t stay in hotels,” Maas said.

Follow sports reporter Brent Schrotenboer @Schrotenboer. E-mail: bschrotenb@usatoday.com

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    25% of 196 people...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    They need 2/3rd for approval. In a very diverse and transient planted San Diego it is almost impossible to get a 2/3rd public ballot approval for the most nobel of causes and initiatives!

With the way in which the Chargers have been conducting themselves on and off the field of late (say 5+ years), I will be flabbergasted if they could get 1/3rd of the votes, let alone 2/3rd!

I know it, they know it and Y'all know it ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'm prepared to see them move to LA and to still root for them (being from Tijuana I don't hate Los Angeles like some of you do), I just hope (and assume) that they stay the "home" team for TV broadcasting purposes

5. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    Whether you think the Chargers are in the wrong with Bosa or not, I think fans that want the Chargers to stay should be pretty angry at the way they've handled their PR.

6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,406
    A little lower than I expected, but I seriously doubted the stadium vote would even reach the 50% threshold. The project is dead in the water, and the Spanos family knows it.

It's a little late to put on a brave face, when your littlest one is already screaming like a jilted school girl. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    In my view, the last point made by Maas in the article is the selling point of the plan.

If I were advocating on behalf of the new stadium, that message would be front and center 100% of the time.

Having a stadium should seem more popular to voters if they do not have to pay for it.

8. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I think the Chargers got a shot in the arm in terms of their PR when Bosa turned down their increased offer.

I think public opinion went from being split just barely in the team's favor to being heavily in the team's favor.

That aside, the team did not help itself in terms of PR with its threat to relocate to Los Angeles/near Los Angeles and/or share a stadium in the greater Los Angeles area with the Raiders.

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Well the Chargers went all in and was called. Not enough Charger fans show up to the game's in the first place. Then when they said they were working with the Raiders for a facility up in LA was a kiss of doom. Then when the Chargers petitioned to move up to LA was a slap in the face. Then when the NFL said they can move BUT it was into another facility was the Chargers getting bent over. Now they want us to vote for a stadium. The only way this team stays here is if Spanos sells the team.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Spanos is gonna be a little salty today walk'n into that brand new stadium.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,406
  13. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    The public funds are coming from hotel taxes.......why can't people understand that?? :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Goebes

Goebes Loyal and passionate to a fault

Ratings:
    +7
    Because the Chargers aren't doing a good enough job showing the meats and potatoes of the deal. If they truly wanted this to pass, they'd have a team committed to nothing but educating the transits on why this is good for the city they chose to move to.

Now that I've left San Diego for good, I've decided to stay a fan if they leave. This is by far the best way for the city to finally get this done and if they don't, this time it's on the city. Though the Chargers should do more to promote it, any educated person who reads the proposition can clearly see it's not affecting their taxes