1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

CHARGERS: Star Chambers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    Chargers wide receiver finally gettting back to full strength after ankle injury

SAN DIEGO ---- Chris Chambers cut left, cut right then caught a long pass from quarterback Philip Rivers early in Thursday's practice.

But it was at the end of practice that Chambers had reason to celebrate.

From the session's opening to closing whistle Chambers was on the field.

No big deal? It was to Chambers, who has been nursing a sprained ankle.

For the first time since getting hurt on Oct. 5, Chambers went through a full practice as the Chargers continue preparing for Sunday's game with the Steelers.

"When you are in and out of practice, it does make a difference,'' Chambers said.

Chambers was a difference-maker when the season was new. He had three touchdowns catches through the initial four games, five scores in five contests.

But he twisted his ankle in Miami fighting for another touchdown ---- in his homecoming after coming from the Dolphins to the Chargers last year. That forced him to miss two games before returning Oct. 26 to catch five passes in the loss to the Saints in London.

Still, Chambers wasn't right. A bye week was helpful, but when the starters trotted out Sunday, Chambers wasn't among them.

That changes this Sunday.

"I would imagine I would be that much better this week and start and play the whole game,'' said Chambers, who has 16 catches for 273 yards and five scores.

"Even though I wasn't practicing I was still running good routes in games, but it carries over sometimes. Now I'm able to get into a little more of a rhythm with the quarterback and hopefully get a chance to get more involved."

But to gauge Chambers' impact with his Sunday stats is a mistake. So say his teammates.

"He's meant a lot to me,'' said wide receiver Malcolm Floyd, who took advantage of Chambers' absence. "I've learned a lot from him, I look up to him and I try to learn as much as I can from him ---- on and off the field.

"It's just how he carries himself. He is really mature and knows how to really handle himself as a professional and that's one of the main reason why I do look up to him."

Rivers was eyeing Chambers Sunday but wasn't able to hit him.

For Chambers, it was only the third time in is eight-year career he didn't catch a pass.

While some Pro Bowl receivers would pout and point fingers, Chambers just shrugged.

"He would never said a word," Rivers said. "But I told him 'I wanted to get it do you a couple of time and I should've, I could've, but I didn't.' And I think the way he approaches it makes him that much more special."

Rivers is in an enviable position. Among his targets are Antonio Gates, Vincent Jackson, LaDainian Tomlinson, Floyd and Chambers. It's as tough distributing the ball to everyone as it is for defenses to cover them all.

"There are so many guys to throw the ball to that you never know each week who is going to get the ball,'' said Rivers, who has a NFL-high 21 touchdown passes.

Having Chambers back among those options is a plus.

"He seems to be starting to come around and feel good,'' Rivers said. "I think that is going to be huge as we hit this home stretch."

Chambers can produce the home run. And he appeared en route to his second Pro Bowl season before his ankle went one way and his body the other at Dolphin Stadium.

"I want to be out there, I want to make plays and I want to score touchdowns,'' Chambers said. "I got off to a good start and I really wanted to keep that going.''

Coach Norv Turner notices his No. 1 wide out's get-up-and-go.

"He is considerably better this week,'' Turner said.

But even during the weeks he wasn't, Chambers appreciated his fellow wide receivers. That made being idled easier to swallow.

"It hasn't been as difficult because our receivers have stepped up big and it was very encouraging,'' Chambers said. "And that will make us stronger as the season goes on.''

Chargers notes

DT Jamal Williams didn't practice Thursday, but coach Norv Turner said he was just resting his Pro Bowler for Sunday's game. … S Steve Gregory (neck) was limited in practice, in his first work since Sunday. … Those not working, in addition to Williams, were OLB Marques Harris (hamstring), WR Craig Davis (groin) and CB Cletis Gordon (knee). …The Chargers most recent High School Coach of the Week was Rob Gilster of Valley Center. The Jaguars football program receives a $1,500 donation.

• Like Like x 1
  2. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    He just puts our receiving corp to the top of the list!!!! :abq1:
  3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Jesus, I hope he's healthy!! :yes:

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Jul 11, 2006
    Good news, the Stillers have something else to worry about.:tup: