1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers' start has Foley smiling

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Chargers' start has Foley smiling

By: JAY PARIS - Staff Writer (North County Times)

SAN DIEGO ---- The ear-to-ear grin was familiar, if the limp wasn't: Steve Foley was back at Chargers Park.

"He's full of smiles, and he's in there laughing and joking around,'' teammate Randall Godfrey said. "He's walking around like an old man with his cane saying, 'Get out here, boy.' "

Foley on Thursday made a rare Chargers appearance. Foley was wounded Sept. 3 by an off-duty police officer near his Poway home. Foley was placed on the nonfootball injury list, ending his ninth season before it got started.

Foley was shot three times, and his left leg remains heavily bandaged. He can't walk on his own, instead relying on a cane, which he playfully swung at visitors with regularity.

"It's great seeing the guys,'' Foley said.

When pressed for comment, Foley flashed his toothy grin and declined.

"I can't really do anything like that right now,'' Foley said.

But he could talk football, and it was obvious he enjoyed the opportunity. He especially enjoyed bragging about his teammates, who are replacing him and suspended linebacker Shawne Merriman.

"The guys that are filling in there, you know what, we haven't really missed anybody productionwise and all that,'' Foley said. "I think that is what has been asked ---- fill in and do your job and they have been doing a good job.

"That is always exciting to see. That and where we are sitting at 6-2.''

Godfrey said Foley can always idle in the Chargers' locker room. The two are close friends, and Godfrey is amazed how far Foley has come.

"I saw him a few days after it happened,'' Godfrey said, softly. "And just to see how much progress he has made is something. He is improving every week.

"It's a great feeling to see him out here and having him here because he is such a great leader. I hope he can stay with us the rest of the year. Just put him out there as a coach or something ---- just let him be around. He still brings a lot of energy.''

Foley has started his rehabilitation and is hopeful of resuming his career with the Chargers next season. He hinted about bringing his cane out on the playing field to whack offensive linemen.

Read the rest of the article here.

2. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I bet he hyped the boyz up!!!!

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    They'll need it for the next two games.

:tup:

4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I think he should go to cleveland with the team :tup: that would be cool.........................

:foley53: :bolt:

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Why would he go to Cleveland when we play Cincinnati? :icon_shrug: :lol:

6. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Oh sheet I meant Cincinnati :lol: I need some sleep :icon_sleep: I can't even keep my eyes open any longer......................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz