1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers stay calm , Fans aren't

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Spanos still has 'confidence' in 1-3 team, coaching staff

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

October 2, 2007
    No one is selling the team, resigning, getting fired or saying they are sorry.
    Anyone who expected or hoped for any or all of those things in the wake of this dreadful start by the Chargers is, well, a fan.
    And those fans might not know a deep-six route from an out route, but they know a few things.
    They know General Manager A.J. Smith and team President Dean Spanos fired a coach who at least won regular season games, hired a coach with a losing record, got rid of Donnie Edwards and didn't sign any free agents this offseason. They know ticket prices got raised and still every home game was sold out, uniforms were changed and the team wants land for a new stadium. And now they know this wonderfully talented team, which lost just twice last season and brought back almost every starter, has lost three of its first four games and is closer to earning the No. 1 draft pick than a playoff berth. Things are so ugly around here that the woman who answers the phone at Chargers Park was pushed to tears yesterday by irate callers. Upstairs in the front office, however, there remains a calm. “The fans have got passion, and they're day to day,” Smith said yesterday, some 18 hours after the team he assembled and the coach he chose finished the first quarter of its season with a 1-3 record. “But you don't operate that way as an executive.” Spanos later was asked for what might have been the most premature vote of confidence in NFL history. He provided one. We're four games into the season,” Spanos said. “I'm very disappointed like everyone else. I still have confidence in this team and this coaching staff. There are still 12 games to go. A lot can happen, and I'm looking forward to it.” Spanos believes Norv Turner put the Chargers in position to win against both Green Bay and Kansas City the past two weeks. He has questions, and he will get answers. But he was emphatic in his support. Contrary to the opinion and desire of seemingly 99 percent of the football-speaking world, it is too early for a management mea culpa, because that would be an unfathomable admission at this point.
    And while the situation is dire – “We have to find a way to win one game; we have to do it this week,” LaDainian Tomlinson said – it is unquestionably too early to call the season a failure.
    First, the Chargers are one game out of first place in the AFC West.
    “I am very thankful at this point, as we look up from the bottom of the division, that I do not see a 4-0 team or a 3-1 team,” Smith said. “That's a good thing for the Chargers, considering the way we're playing. We have lots of football left and plenty of time to start playing good, consistent football.”
    Since the current playoff system was adopted in 1990, 20 teams have made the postseason after starting 1-3. The 1992 Chargers lost their first four games before winning 11 of 12 to reach the playoffs.
    But that this team is struggling seems mind-boggling – even to those who preach patience.
    “There is no question in my mind that adversity has officially arrived,” Smith said. “We need to find a way out of this hole we're in. I believe in the players and coaches we have.”
    Turner, for his part, believes in what he is doing but accepts his role.
    “I'm ultimately the one that's responsible,” he said. “It's my job to get the things done we're talking about – the inconsistencies, the problems we're having with turnovers, giving up big plays. That's what I've got to do. I've got to get those things eliminated.”
    Players, as they did Sunday, defended Turner and his embattled defensive coordinator, Ted Cottrell.
    In fact, some said Turner's pregame speech Sunday was as emotional and inspiring as anything Schottenheimer delivered. One player called it “Marty-esque” and said it seemed genuine.
    Players pointed out they outgained the Chiefs by a margin of almost two to one in the first half, were ahead by 10 points and would have led by more if not for two second-quarter turnovers.
    Players also say Turner isn't going to change. He isn't going to rip them up and down after a loss. Some are of the opinion the lack of “fear” he instills, in contrast to Schottenheimer, could prove detrimental. But it is too early to tell. And even those players believe it is incumbent on players to motivate themselves.
    Last week, a brief players-only meeting in which Philip Rivers, Lorenzo Neal and Shawne Merriman spoke got rave reviews. In it, the trio, led by Rivers, reminded players to practice hard and stay focused. Players roundly maintained that is what they did.
    But it simply is not translating to an entire game of good football. The Chargers have turned the ball over 10 times, two-thirds as many times as they did all last season. They have been held scoreless in three of the eight halves they have played. Only two teams have given up more long passes than the Chargers. They have lost a fourth-quarter lead in each of their past two games.
    “We started off good in Green Bay and against Kansas City,” Rivers said. “We just haven't put a whole game together. There are a bunch of factors that go into it. “This world is (about) what's happening now. That's the news. But we have to keep fighting. We can't let that affect us and make this skid continue. The bottom line is we can be where we want to be still. Every goal is there still to achieve we had when we were 0-0. That's hard to see right now because of what has happened. But you find the character of your team and the guys you have in situations like this.”
    [​IMG]

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Fans are usually nuts. Thats there job.

The chargers really aren't that far off from being a good team. They just need for the pass blocking to improve. Whats lost us every game so far were errant passes by Rivers cause he just didn't have any time to pass.

And possibly when glass whilhelm gets back that he can help with the short inside pass coverage. Dobbins and polk are not doing well with their short coverage. And if someone will tell hart to just be more aware of where the ball might be headed.

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Of course Deano has confidence, he's the one who fired Marty and gave AJ the go ahead to hire NorvTed.

He's not about to say "I facked up!" just yet. :yes: :icon_tease: :lol:

4. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    I wish the NFL were so simple it was all about the OL just not pass blocking.

The Chargers are calm??? lol Fighting on the sidelines, mouthing in the press, calling PLAYER'S ONLY meetings. None of that **** was happening last year when we went 14-2.

5. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Well... remember after the Baltimore loss last year we had LT himself wishing that they would unshackle Rivers and pass a little more?

That's about as bad as it got during the season I think.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I'm perfectly calm, I'm just calmly calling for Norv Turner to be run out of town on a rail along with Ted Cottrell

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    lol. I'll lighten up if the beat the Broncos.

8. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I'm calling bullshit. :tdown:

9. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Well, the Chargers did have a lead in each of those games, especially versus KC.

It's not like they were trailing by 7+ the entire game.

10. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    If they come out and play like they did this weekend against a bad KC team, we are in for an *** wooping in Denver.

11. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I don’t care what a coach calls , it’s up to the players to go out there and make plays...:bolt:

12. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Same here. Gameplans (or lackthereof) can also cost you leads and games altogether.

13. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Denver might go back to their winning ways at home again.

:unsure: