1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers sticking with G.M., coach

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Dec 27, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Chargers sticking with G.M., coach

Posted by Mike Florio on December 27, 2010, 8:03 PM EST

As expected, the Chargers won’t be firing their head coach simply because they failed to make it to the playoffs for the first time in Norv Turner’s four-year tenure.

Owner Dean Spanos said Monday that the team will keep Turner and his boss, G.M. A.J. Smith.

“I’ve learned the hard way,” Spanos told Nick Canepa of the San Diego Union-Tribune. “Your G.M. and coach have to be two individuals who work together. It’s very difficult for some teams; I’ve been through it. I like the working relationship at this level.”

By saying he’s “been through it,” Spanos is referring to the Marty Schottenheimer experience. He and Smith clashed, and Spanos was surprisingly fired in February 2007, after a 14-2 regular season and a one-and-out playoff run.

“We’re as disappointed as anyone,” Spanos said. “But I look to 1996 to 2003, when we couldn’t even get [beyond] 8-8. We’ve turned it around, to where we’re a good team and a good organization. There’s a lot of continuity, but we’re still short.”

The reason they’re short in December is that they routinely don’t show up in September or October. And that’s the challenge moving forward — figuring out why the team has struggled in the early stages of the season under Turner, and getting the players to play in the first six or seven games like they ordinarily do down the stretch.

“The easiest thing in the world is to start over,” Spanos said. “Who the hell do I go hire? Blow the whole thing up? We’re a pretty good team but we have to make the right moves. We’ve fallen. It could have been our draft picks or our free-agent moves. But we have a good core, and I don’t care what anybody says. I’m not afraid to make changes. If I thought it was warranted, I would do it. We have a good foundation here.”

Though many think that better handling of the Vincent Jackson contract dispute by Smith could have made a big impact on the season if Jackson had been available for more than a handful of games, Spanos doesn’t seem to be holding any grudges against the G.M. who dug in both with Jackson and left tackle Marcus McNeill.

“I like A.J., even though he’s a bit goofy,” Spanos said. “I trust him. He’ll tell you he’s made mistakes. Who hasn’t? But he takes chances. Sometimes you lose the bet, but if you’re going to win a world championship, you’ve got to take chances. I learned that from my father in our business. A.J.’s committed 100 percent to this organization.”

Smith reiterated that Turner isn’t leaving.

“When you have a coach that is competent, loyal and trustworthy and you believe in him, you stay the course,” Smith told Canepa. “Norv Turner will be leading this football team.”

So what went wrong in 2010?

“It wasn’t coaching,” Smith said. “Sometimes the best thing in the world is to make very few changes. There’s an image out there that Norv is my puppet. Just the opposite. [Editor's note: Wait, so Smith is Turner's puppet?] The man knows what he’s doing. People may have the opposite opinion. The coach is coming back. Other teams make decisions to go in another direction. I did — four years ago. I know it’s frustrating to the fans, but I believe in this coach.”

In the end, the opinions of Spanos and Smith are all that really matters. And they surely realize that, as long as they have Philip Rivers at quarterback, the Chargers will be contenders in a watered-down AFC West.

But there’s a reason that they’ve gotten the word out today, one day after the Chargers were eliminated from the playoffs. To the extent that any speculation regarding Turner or Smith may have blossomed, Spanos and Smith have pre-emptively stomped on it.

Chargers sticking with G.M., coach | ProFootballTalk

2. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Spanos: No changes at top for Chargers

What Dean Spanos can do that many of his football team’s fans can’t do, is remember. It doesn’t take much for the Chargers president to recall the not-so-long-ago, when he was boss of the worst team in the NFL, when even he admits his organization lacked organization.

It was a loser.

So, when Spanos, who has been in charge of the franchise since father Alex handed him the wheel in 1994, says head coach Norv Turner and General Manager A.J. Smith will return in 2011, he almost seems incredulous, amazed that he has to be asked.
    Public opinion aside, it’s his team to run. Turner and Smith will return. This is not an election ticket. One vote matters.

“I’ve learned the hard way,” Spanos said. “Your GM and coach have to be two individuals who work together. It’s very difficult for some teams; I’ve been through it. I like the working relationship at this level.

“We’re as disappointed as anyone. But I look to 1996 to 2003, when we couldn’t even get (beyond) 8-8. We’ve turned it around, to where we’re a good team and a good organization. There’s a lot of continuity, but we’re still short.

“The easiest thing in the world is to start over. Who the hell do I go hire? Blow the whole thing up? We’re a pretty good team but we have to make the right moves. We’ve fallen. It could have been our draft picks or our free-agent moves. But we have a good core, and I don’t care what anybody says. I’m not afraid to make changes. If I thought it was warranted, I would do it. We have a good foundation here.”

It’s not often I can sit across from Dean Spanos and agree with much of what he has to say. I’ve had go-rounds with dad and go-rounds with son, but if he were to tear this thing up now and start all over, it just might be the biggest mistake he’s made. And he’s made a few, which he also admits (and, no, firing Marty Schottenheimer is not one of them; yes, firing Bobby Ross is).

From my standpoint, given the weakness of their schedule and the optimism that preceded training camp, this is the most disappointing season in the team’s history. The brutal loss Sunday to hapless Cincinnati that doused the Chargers’ playoff hopes was their entire season played out in 60 minutes.

But there are things to consider before ripping and slashing, given the labor unrest in the NFL. There are no guarantees there will be a season in 2011. There may be a quarter-season, a half-season, no training camp, no minicamps, no offseason workouts.

If this happens and you bring in a new coach or a new GM, with new systems and philosophies, good luck in 2011.

Smith and Turner both have made mistakes. If the Chargers get off to another bad start in 2011 — or whenever the next season begins — that it isn’t going to get fixed under Norv, enough will be enough. It’s asking too much to continually rise from the dead. This year, for many reasons, it didn’t happen, but the early season bungling has to stop.

“I like A.J., even though he’s a bit goofy,” Spanos says. “I trust him. He’ll tell you he’s made mistakes. Who hasn’t? But he takes chances. Sometimes you lose the bet, but if you’re going to win a world championship, you’ve got to take chances. I learned that from my father in our business. A.J.’s committed 100 percent to this organization.

“Norv took over a good team and I think he’s done a good job under some trying circumstances. I hate to make excuses, but I don’t (care). It’s hard to win without players. Last year we lost six players in our opener at Oakland and Norv won 13 games. This year, I’ve never seen anything like it. I know injuries are a (bleep) excuse, but we started 2-5 and could have caved and we didn’t.

“These players respect Norv Turner. I think they have great admiration for him. If the players don’t have confidence in their coach, you’re not going to be successful.”

Smith often has said all that matters is getting to the playoffs and winning playoff games. Under Turner, who inherited 11 Pro Bowlers, there were two postseason wins in 2007, one in 2008, none in 2009 (loss to the Jets) and, of course, there won’t be a chance now.

Norv has not been good enough to coach this team to a championship. A.J. has not been good enough to manage this team to a championship. But I do know that, just seven years ago, it was the worst team in football.

“When you have a coach that is competent, loyal and trustworthy and you believe in him, you stay the course,” Smith said. “Norv Turner will be leading this football team.

“It wasn’t coaching. Sometimes the best thing in the world is to make very few changes. There’s an image out there that Norv is my puppet. Just the opposite. The man knows what he’s doing. People may have the opposite opinion. The coach is coming back. Other teams make decisions to go in another direction. I did — four years ago. I know it’s frustrating to the fans, but I believe in this coach.

“As far as I’m concerned, I haven’t been good enough. We have failed this year. It’s devastating to me. But, if you believe, you stay the course. And I believe. As for my job, talk to Dean.”

So I did. No changes at the top. And, all things considered, that’s not a bad thing. For now.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/...rs/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Dean loves LA.

4. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    NONE of the UT writers have the balls to call any of the Chargers staff out.
    “The easiest thing in the world is to start over. Who the hell do I go hire? Blow the whole thing up?"
    This idiot does not deserve to own a team. Looks like he is just waiting for the sale.

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Well, now we know shy AJ keeps him. nice lap dog you got there AJ

and there it is folks, the only thing this ownership cares about is winning the afc west

• Like Like x 1
  6. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    "loyal and trustworthy " are fine traits for dogs but you are trying to win championships.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    “I like A.J., even though he’s a bit goofy,” Spanos says. “I trust him.

[​IMG]

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Therein lies the problem.....

YES!
    (well.....just Norv)

• Like Like x 1
  9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Like it or not, this is the reason. It would cost Dean $15+ mil to buy out the final 2 years of AJ and Norv's contract. He has the team for sale, why would he spend his money to make the change when the new owner can spend his money

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    The rest of the AFC west just erupted in celebration.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Chargers confirmed for last place in AFC West in 2011.

Also, thanks Dean, you probably just saved me $1800.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    If there is a god there won't be a 2011 season. Please spare us the embarrassment!

Really…I think the Chiefs and Raturds will give us a run for our money again next year unless we have significant changes…and don’t forget the Donks…they have a running quarterback which could give us fits.

No changes, no good for Charger fans.

I will still watch every freaking game and irritate my ulcer! I watch every Padre game too…damn I must be sick!

• Like Like x 1
  13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555

It was clear in the after game press conferences there was no urgency early in the season. Maybe missing the playoffs entirely (and embarrassingly) is what this team needs to get its *** back in gear next season.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If embarrassment worked we should have a couple of Lombardi's by now.

This is certainly no surprise. It's just even more in your face now how dedicated to winning this organization really is.

This is a "smokescreen" worthy of Washington DC.

15. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    NOTEWORTHY PARTS/QUOTES:

Conclusions: Spanos wants harmony at all costs, loyalty at all costs. They are in denial if they don't hold Turner responsible for the patterns of inconsistency, flat play, delay of game penalties. Who the hell else is to blame for that? Spanos is in denial if he thinks Smith has been better than mediocre in the draft.

Final conclusion: Spanos is just holding it together for sale, no reason to go through the headaches of change a year before someone else assumes control.

16. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    He better hope he sells the team now, because after reading between lines, this situation a loose loose for the fans.

17. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13

I'm really exhausted with the troika of Spanos/Smith/Turner and want a clean sweep. Wiith Alex's 36% on the block for imminent sale, that's almost certain to occur soon. Question is, does it mean LA or not?

With a tougher schedule next year, and the improvements at KC and Oakland, I don't see this team being in a better position next season under this leadership. AFCW will be a serious dogfight and everry team will come out of it bloodied.

18. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    The ownership has taken on the personality of the majority of its fanbase. Spanos knows that he can get by with this without any damage. If this team were in a real football town then the fans and the media would have his head. The Sd media will not print anything negative because they know that they will not get any more info from the team. The fans will not protest because it is just football to them. I am disgusted with this organization.

19. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup.

And this is why our payroll is at the bottom 1/3rd of the league as well.

20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    This is the other half of the reason I stick around. Maybe there is a sugar daddy billionaire locally willing to continue the quest to build HERE. If that happens, the tailgaters are back on !!!! If the new owner asks for PSL's - he can go F himself.

21. HUN

HUN Y'all can call me HUN!

Ratings:
    +64
    Ding ding ding..... we have a winner!!!!!!!

22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Don't owners give their HCs a vote of confidence like this right before they fire them? I'm not ready to lose hope but still it's disappointing

23. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Hoping Nxt year we start off fast instead of going 2-5 again

24. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    These assclowns will fire a coach after going 14-2 but will not fire one for missing the playoffs and years of slow starts?

• Like Like x 1
  25. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Ross Beathard.....conflict led to Ross being fired. Beathard sucked really bad and turned us in to a doormat.

AJ Marty......tried to keep it going even with Conflict. Finally had to let Marty go.

Norv and AJ equals no conflict and a good team that is missing the playoffs for only the first time in 5 years and may end up with a winning record.

What in the world are your peoples expectations and for pete's sake why are they so high? How many times has this team been to the playoffs in 4 straight seasons? Once from 79-82(a strike year). That Air Coryell Team was clearly strongest in 79 and was getting worse.

This is the first time this team has ever gone to 5 straight playoffs...they failed to make it 6 and you guys want everyone fired? The team was 13-3 last year....this is not a case of being great in 2006 and progressivley getting worse. That 13-3 team was totally different and had Norv's fingerprints all over it. Gates is really the only constant from 06 to now. 2006 was Merriman the unblockable and LT the unstoppable....we haven't had that since and we have been successful. It's an up and down, year to year kind of league. We went from 8-8 to 13-3 with this coach and this GM. This year has sucked, for many reasons, including injuries. Would you be shocked if this team in 11 was more like the 09 team? Why can't it be? Will Mathews be better year two? Will our WR be healthier? Will Gates be healthy? Will McNeil be here all year? Will Binn be back? Will Our Special Teams be better? I would say their is a good likelyhood that all those questions are Yes's and I think that could be very good.

26. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  27. gb911

gb911 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4
    C'mon Dean!!!! You're killing us. Your reasoning is nothing short of insanity. If firing Marty was a mistake, than keeping Norv is even a bigger one. And your buddy AJ is going to bring you down. You've heard the fans speak, don't forget without them you don't have a team. It sounds like you want to leave SD. If that's the case, shame on you.

28. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  29. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Tim Leiweke will fire Norv.

30. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    How is it insanity?

The Spanos family bought the team in 84.

They sucked for 8 years. from 92-95 they were good (8-8 in 93 and 9-7 in 95). 4 years and then they sucked for another 8 years.

That is 16 out of 20 years of crappy football.

AJ technically started in 2003, but Butler was there most of that off season.

2004-2009 The team has not had a single losing season. 7 years of not sucking. First time in franchise history going this long with no losing season. First time ever making 5 consecutive playoffs (ends this year).

Would it be more insane to Fire Norv and AJ now or to keep them?

• Like Like x 1