1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers still control Jackson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Sep 3, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Video of the coaches meeting at AJ's house!!

2. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Just heard Schefter's report on ESPN.

Unnamed team, unspecified 1 yr contract amount, unspecified trade parameters. What a pile of **** put out by VJs agents.

Schefter is supposed to be the almighty god of insiders and he couldn't one single detail?

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Even if it is not. There are teams the Chargers will not trade to. Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos, Colts, Pats, and perhaps a few others. The Chargers have the right to refuse to deal with certain teams. This is not some smoking gun. Anyone who tries to use it as one should think twice.

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Yes...why don't we just take a the self rightous Steelers path, and trade his *** for a 5th round pick which we'll use to draft a 4th TE who will eventually end up on our practice squad until he's forgotten about.

5. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Exactly and if AJ traded him to one of those teams or for anything less then a 2nd peeps would be bitching about that.

VJ and his agents had plenty of time during the RFA signing period to explore options with other teams when they were FREE TO TALK WITH ALL 31 teams and there was not one peep about it. His agents failed imo because they were focusing on Revis and the Jets.

6. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    The unspecified team was Seattle. I'm certainly glad a trade with them was foiled, but this is all further evidence as to who's responsible for this charade continuing. This information is in addition to what I posted earlier.

"Presumably, the team had received permission to talk to Jackson's agents about a trade. Otherwise, it would have been a blatant case of tampering." Vincent Jackson's agents blame Chargers for failed trade | ProFootballTalk.com

mati: You are assuming what the compensation was, then basing an opinion on that assumption!

7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Until we know what the value of the trade was, all of this is a pile of pasture droppings. If VJ is as valuable as his agents are pumping him up to be, then anything less then a 2 and a 3 is the chargers getting ripped off in a trade.

Quoting PFT is like quoting the National Enquirer.

8. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Kwak:

Fair enough but a 2nd & 3rd on a one-year deal is steep compensation. It is the demands of the maniacal AJ Smith that nobody is willing to match...hello! Oh, and PFT isn't the only source. Pretty lame

9. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    The question is why only a 1-year deal?

Put on your Seattle GM hat for a moment. The Chargers want a 2nd and a 3rd (supposedly) for VJ. That is all fine and dandy for a WR that we can use for the next 5 years.

Who was pushing for a 1-year deal? Wanna guess? VJ's Agents I bet.

So Seattle goes ahead and makes a 1-year deal hoping that AJ will lower his asking price. Maybe VJ will like Seattle and we can extend him after the 1-year.
    If you are the Seattle GM would you now give up a 2nd and 3rd for VJ with only a one year guarantee? NO! Since there is no guarantee past 1-year we will offer AJ a 3rd and a 6th.
    The 1-year contract is not AJ's problem. He wants the 2nd and 3rd. So what if you only have a 1-year deal in place. NOT MY PROBLEM.
    Another question.. What good would a 1-year deal do for Seattle? They are not on the cusp of a Super Bowl?

This one year deal is ALL BS manufactured by his agents. WTF good is VJ to a team for 1 year unless he can get them over the hump and into a playoff?

10. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Doug:

That's pretty slick thinking, 'cept you're speculating that the 1-yr deal was advocated by Schwartz. Every source has indicated that Jackson's camp sought a multi-yr deal, but were flexible. Nevertheless, a convincing enough argument. So, it's a 2nd & 3rd or bust, is that it? I don't see it happening and it's time for some other team to give it a go, wouldn't you agree?

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Since you seem to think AJ is a maniac, then tell me what do YOU think VJ is worth in a trade? Do you think it should be less because the team can only get him on a 1 year deal?

12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814

If the 1-yr deal was NOT advocated by Schwartz then what would Seattle gain by a 1-year rental? As for a 2nd and 3rd or bust, I do not know. Maybe Seattle only offered a 3rd. Until this info is leaked we are just speculating. I bet the offer was lower because of the 1 year deal.

13. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Kwak:

You're right, there's no judging until we know what form of compensation was offered. But if Smith was offered a 2nd rd pick, he may have made a big mistake. I'd say for sure if 20 other teams had already come n gone. You forget that if nothing happens, it is the San Diego Chargers who lose! Six weeks is still plenty of time, no doubt. As for Vincent Jackson's worth, I'm sure there are a number of contributing factors. His price-tag, eligibility and access are three. Another is the timeframe which, contrary to what many here seem to think, will only work in Smith's favor up until Jackson becomes eligible. Another factor is that the Chargers never made use of the fact that Jackson wanted to stay. When you're just as likely to bring that Pro-Bowl player back, that increases your leverage. Simply put, Jackson doesn't mean much to the Chargers and I believe that bluff is being called.

After the trade deadline, the Chargers will still have a problem on their hands and then, a compensatory pick at best to show for it. It is Smith who is limiting access and other offers, you'll have ask him why he doesn't know whether a one-yr deal is something he should compensate for. However, and this point addresses Doug as well, Seattle was not going to invest so much of its future when they couldn't secure Jackson for more than one year, and a shortened season at that.

14. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    You're still fondling VJ's sac? Has he taken you to dinner at least? :tdown:

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Can you just answer the question? You are laying this all at the feet of AJ. All this you just posted is more of the same thing you have been saying for days.

What do YOU think is fair trade compensation for VJ? Numbers not speculations. Give me draft picks.

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I think AJ is trying to provoke him into not reporting at all.

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Not really.

Next year, VJ gets to approach the league again as a RFA since he does not accrue a season of credit.

OR

Franchise tag....tag and trade

OR

VJ will probably play for us after sitting out the year and offered $11 million for one year (the f-tag rate for WR's).

One way or another, we can wait and watch this stock appreciate and maybe even split a few times.

The VJ lottery is open for bidness..

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    What does AJ gain from that?

19. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Kwak:

As I said, if I were AJ Smith, I didn't just turn down a 2nd rd draft pick. However, Jackson is worth whatever the market will yield, but again, many factors have and will impact the process. We can assume AJ Smith has gotten some measure from all this with Seattle, but if it's low compensation as some of you suspect, that's not a good sign. If moving Jackson before Sept 4th was a priority then limiting access to Seattle has failed, is that not obvious? It's probably fair to assume that the 4th didn't mean anything to Smith. Some believe that Smith's plan is to get Jackson, & McNeill for that matter, in for a stretch run. If Jackson's eligibility doesn't help matters, then Seattle's uncontested offer stands, or you get nothing. Smith may be restricting access because he doesn't want to expose how small a market there is for Jackson, given the circumstances.

Trumpet Man:

That's all nonsense, none of which makes sense for the Chargers nor can you prove it.

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696

And by calling AJ captain ******** for blocking the trade YOU ARE ASSUMING HE WAS OFFERED MORE THAN JACK ****.

And of course his agents are blaming AJ for a "failed trade." As if giving him up for a mediocre draft pick would have been considered a "successfull trade" by anyone but the greedy f'n agents trying to get their f'n paychecks.

21. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    You still have not given a direct answer of what YOU think he is worth in a trade. You think AJ is maniacal. Waste of time to continue.

What Tman said is actually the reality of the situation.

Depending on what is worked out in the new CBA there are 2 outcomes.

1) He stays a RFA.
    OR
    2) He becomes a FA and will get the FT tag.

Either way his NFL rights will belong to the chargers. Those are facts.

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Let V Jackoffson sit and rot. Sure there are teams out there chomping at the bit to land him, like the Dickskins, pay up or GFOAD. The Bolt's control this show and if you don't like it. you too can GFOAD.

23. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    mati:

Seattle may have tried to bridge their risk some, not that that is San Diego's obligation. They may have offered a 2nd rd selection and a conditional pick, or something less, as you say. Remember, the Chargers have granted Seattle access several times. Surely Smith knew that wasn't to go back and present Jackson's camp with the same damn thing. Awhile back I posted numerous articles from late June citing compensation to the Chargers as a key obstacle. I do blame Smith for restricting access. We assumed access had been broadened, when in fact it was another mirage!

Kwak:

:icon_rofl: You can't be serious! OMG! Jackson has already accrued more years than required and his contract has expired. Trumpet Man can't show you the evidence! Good luck wishing the requirement goes from 4 accrued yrs to 6 yrs with the new CBA. And tagging him makes absolutely no sense. Why not just pay him now?

24. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    When did he become an unrestricted free agent???

25. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Read the CBA links I gave you earlier. It really does not matter what happens with a new CBA UNLESS the Franchise tag is eliminated. That will not happen if you have a sense for this stuff. Elimination of the Franchise tag to stroll down that possibility is unrestricted movement of franchise type players. This would seriously undermine the game and fan loyalty. So ask yourself and if needed slap yourself the most likely outcome of the tag system.

If VJ can keep clean for at least one year, then maybe next year he gets an offer but I suspect he gets f-tagged and plays.

Would you offer a long term contract to someone with this baggage ?

I highly doubt it if it was your money.

So what is the recourse ?

See A.J.'s master plan.

26. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Wouldn't he still have to sign the franchise tag, though?

27. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Trumpet Man:

I asked you two questions and your sources didn't answer either one. One was a pdf file of the CBA and I perused the sections that had subtitles relating to restricted free agency. Nowhere did I find anything that expanded on variables such as this circumstance with Vincent Jackson. Did I read the whole CBA? It's over 300 pages, you'll either direct the reader to where the evidence is or stfu! There's no table of contents, no index. No, better still, YOU'LL QUOTE THE MATERIAL DIRECT LIKE! Now, as you say, if Jackson does gain unrestricted status the Chargers can franchise him. They're not going to do that. Just like this year, no team is going to compensate the Chargers with 1st round draft selections. That forces the Chargers to offer serious money. If they thought that highly of the man they'd just sign him now. Indeed, they've given every indication they're willing to trade him. Makes no sense, none!

28. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Did I miss something?

Has a new CBA been agreed upon already?

29. MikeC

MikeC Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I can absolutely see paying his franchise tag for a few years to come. There is no doubt VJ is worth the money, they problem is he is not worth the contract.

Franchising him like they have Sproles the last 2 years makes perfect sense.
    • If VJ falls of the wagon, gets yet another dui, and a subsequent 1 year suspension - you got his services (until the suspension goes into effect) cheap - and you get rid of him cheap.
    • If there is a strike in 2011 due to the CBA - you don't have to pay him anything. - you can wait until the CBA is ironed out.

I don't know about you guys, but If I'm Spanos/AJ - there is absolutely NO REASON to pay this guy millions right now - when I can bank the cash, and still have him for either the end of this season and definitely for the next - and STILL save millions in the process.

The NFL is just like any other business - if you can put off a massive expense and lose nothing, you are going to do it every time.

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Ahhhh bubba... When were you made a moderator?

You have the right to post your comments, he has the right to post his.

Ummm kay thnxbahbie