1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers still control Jackson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Sep 3, 2010.

1. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Just my opinion here is that even next year No Team will want to sign VJ for higher than Marshall money. VJ will need to lower the Amount of his contract drastically to sign with any other team who would want his services.

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Vincent Jackson had one-year deal worked out with another NFL team

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 5, 2010 2:38 PM ET
    Trading Vincent Jackson after yesterday's events is now much more difficult. It turns out that one team nearly completed a deal to acquire him before Saturday's soft deadline.

Florio contacted PFT headquarters from his family reunion to report that Jackson and an NFL team worked out a one-year deal yesterday, according to a league source. But the team and the Chargers couldn't agree on trade terms, scuttling the move for now.

We don't know what team tried to make the move. Seattle showed prior interest, and the Rams surfaced as a potential candidate during the day Saturday.

Yahoo! Sports reported that the Chargers previously asked for a second-round pick in 2011 and a third-round pick in 2012 in exchange for Jackson. That would likely be too expensive a price to pay if the team acquiring Jackson only got him on a one-year rental.

The lack of a move makes us wonder, once again, if the Chargers really want to trade Jackson at all.

Vincent Jackson had one-year deal worked out with another NFL team | ProFootballTalk.com

3. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    If any of you see VJ out in town, buy him a few drinks and make sure he drives home. Call the police when he does.

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,770
    V Jackoff isn't a Bolt, end of story.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    It would cost them negotiating power with Vincent Jackson, it would possibly cost them negotiating power with other players as Trumpy has been telling you over and over, it would cost the other teams their time.

NOTHING in life is without cost.

Even making these posts comes with a cost. We're spending time making them when we could conceivably be doing something else.

Try taking an economics course. And Economics is reality.

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Source: San Diego Chargers at impasse on Vincent Jackson trade - ESPN

Can we move on, now?

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,231
  8. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +326
    Part of VJ 's success is due to the other weapons on the offense. If we had no offense like the Broncos the MAYBE he could get that kinda money. IMHO he has not proven himself to be THE top paid receiver in the NFL and I don't think he wants to leave because he knows how good he has it here. He is stupid to listen to his agents under the circumstances. Just sayin my opinion. He is replaceable.....NO DOUBT!!!

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Exactly, and why would he sign a tender without agreeing to a new contract with the new team? So yes, he does need to work out a deal in order to be traded, and he can't do that without talking to the team

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, there are 2 negotiations that have to happen, the Chargers with the team trading for him, and VJ with the team trading for him on a new contract.

The Chargers cannot trade him until he signs his tender, and he will not sign his tender until he has a new deal in place. He can't get a new deal in place until he is allowed to talk to the new team. Why is this a difficult concept for some of you?

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I think you are right, which means we will get an even worse comp pick since new contract is a part in how they determine the comp pick a team gets. I have a feeling nothing will happen with VJ, he will walk after this season and we will get a 4th round comp pick

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Vincent Jack Danielson

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +498
    Yeah, that's propably it :no::tdown:

ok, let me explain it a little slower:

STEP 1 : team X calls the Chargers

Team X GM : what do you want for VJ?
    AJ : a N round draft pick in 2011 and a N round draft pick in 2012

if Team X GM agrees then
    Team X GM : sounds good, let me talk to him
    AJ : OK
    else
    Team X GM : thanks, but no thanks
    AJ : OK

STEP 2: (if step 1 is agreed upon) Team X GM calls VJ's agent

Team X GM : how much do you want for VJ?
    VJ's agent : N million over N years
    if Team X GM agrees then
    Team X GM : sounds good, let's sign a contract
    VJ's agent : OK
    else
    Team X GM : thanks, but no thanks
    VJ's agent : OK

STEP 3 : (if step 1 and 2 where agreed upon)

VJ signs tender with Chargers, Chargers trade VJ to Team X, Team X gives Chargers draft picks, VJ signs long term deal with Team X

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Why make sense when a convoluted conspiracy is much more fun?

15. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    God Damnit.... I thought this to be true. Knock that S*it off :lol:

16. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    So, there are conflicting reports. A report I posted yesterday suggested that the Chargers made a desperate attempt to work Seattle yet again, this time involving T. J. Houshmandzadeh, a contention the Chargers adamantly denied. Here, a second report saying the Chargers were willing to take anything was cited. They may well have had their fill and want this to end, I don't blame them. This would certainly support DenverBolt67's point that in the interest of the team, this circus act needs to end! I presume "anything" is possible because the Chargers can't just cut the guy and still receive a compensatory draft pick. Then a third source reports that another deal fell through because the Chargers demands were too high. Perhaps all three reports have some merit.

Again, I think these reports undermine any notion that the Chargers are going to maintain any meaningful hold over Jackson after the trade deadline. They are not! Jackson has accrued more years than are necessary and an expired contract, which are the requirements to become an unrestricted free agent. To think that the new CBA will carry such greater restrictions is really beyond belief. Thus, the Chargers franchising Jackson is something that won't be happening, but it wouldn't anyway. Jackson's camp could again opt to not pursue the matter, forcing the Chargers to offer real money. If they're willing to pay him then why wouldn't they just do it now? When's the last time a team franchised a player under these circumstances? They're committed to moving Jackson, but for some reason, formal negotiations are being tightly controlled by Smith.

It can only be assumed that Seattle or any other team that has had some discussion with Schwartz were offering something that would place Jackson in or close to the upper tier of rec'rs. Jackson's precise numbers may not be known but his parameters have been made public. How close any of these teams came to those parameters are never reported. The following is sourced material posted by CoronoaDoug:

"NFL spokesman Greg Aiello recently told us via e-mail that, even though a player who has been suspended under the substance-abuse policy may attend meetings and otherwise be at the facility (but not participate in practice), a player cannot "report" as that term is contemplated by the rules of the roster exempt list. As we explained on August 25, the union disagrees with the league's belief that the roster exemption would transfer to Jackson's new team, if he's traded. The problem is that no team interested in trading for Jackson would want to acquire his rights without knowing whether he'll miss three games or six games to start the season. It makes sense, then, for the union to promptly pursue an advance ruling on an expedited basis, so that a team interested in Jackson (if there still are any) would know before acquiring his rights whether he'll be available as of Week Four or Week Seven."

Trumpet Man remains confident that Jackson's roster exempt status won't follow him to his new team. It's important to note that Greg Aiello's comment doesn't express the circumstance of a traded player who's on the exempt list. However, the quote does state that the league's position is as such and in conflict with that of the NFLPA. As I've said before it may well be that what offers there have been aren't even close to what Schwartz knows the Redskins are going to offer. What we may be seeing is that Washington will make their run at Jackson once he's eligible. Now, when that is, I have no idea.

17. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    DenverBolts logic reminded me of one of my favorite Trek episodes.
    "Now listen carefully. Everything I tell you is a lie. I am lying to you."

• Like Like x 1
  18. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    " a second report saying the Chargers were willing to take anything was cited."

does anyone here think for a second that AJ would try that tack in a trade? Hell no! That report is from VJ's spin machine just think that is what VJ is paying those goofball agents for. Pretty sad.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Potential V-Jackson deal scuttled - CBSSports.com

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Did you just flat out ignore the post that came before these two that linked a story regarding VJ having a deal worked out with another team, but it fell through because they couldn't work out a trade?

While I eagerly await for you to spin it as AJ being too demanding in trade talks, can you at least get off your perpetual now proven wrong claim that he wasn't allowed to talk to other teams when he obviously was?

21. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    The inconsistency in the reports may well be the result of varying offers. Smith may well settle on a low draft pick from a team negotiating a one-yr deal. However, any team that may have worked something long-term w/Jackson, perhaps Smith tried, unsuccessfully, to work some leverage there. Although the article Leo posted suggests just the opposite. As others have already noted, Jackson's short term value, especially now, isn't worth much. I'm really confused as to the motive of this 11th hour rush to make something happen. While there is certainly an argument to suggest a number of teams showed some interest, we still don't know that for a fact. We still don't know for a fact that additional teams were granted permission. If there were new teams granted access, why is their identity necessary to keep secret?

The Jackson camp continues to flatly deny that they're asking for $50M + $30M up front. I would tend to believe them because it really undermines their credibility and ability to get something done if they're adamant about their asking price privately, but deny it publicly. I've seen one report contending that Jackson's league suspension, not his roster exempt, won't begin until he reports to the Chargers. I'm assuming that's incorrect and Jackson's suspension is now in effect.

22. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  23. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    If a team had a 1-year deal worked out, do you think they would give up a second round pick and more for only 1 year of guaranteed service? No way. If there was a multi-year deal in place then maybe. VJ would have taken the 1-year deal and went right back into free agency.

24. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Ok the official word is in. Linda Sez VJ should be franchise tagged next year if we do not get at least a 2nd round pick for VJ. She still thinks all of you are crazy for talking like arm chair GM's.

That is all.

25. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    :lol: :tup:

26. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Vincent Jackson's agents blame Chargers for failed trade

Posted by Mike Florio on September 6, 2010 1:03 PM ET
    On Sunday, we reported that an unnamed team had a one-year deal worked out with Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson, but that the Chargers and the unnamed team couldn't work out the terms of a trade.

On Sunday night, Jackson's agents went on the record to state unequivocally their belief that the Chargers killed the deal.

"The reason the deal didn't happen was because the Chargers were asking for too much," Jonathan Feinsod told Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune.

But agent Neil Schwartz admitted that they "have no idea" as to the specific compensation requested by the Chargers. Thus, it's possible that the other team simply low balled the Chargers, and then the other then complained to the agents that the Chargers made a moon shot.

The agents didn't name the team, and the article points out that Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith refused to comment.

Presumably, the team had received permission to talk to Jackon's agents about a trade. Otherwise, it would have been a blatant case of tampering.

Schwartz and Feinsod (and Jackson) have demanded, via lawyer Howard Weitzman, a retraction of Acee's recent report that the agents are bankrolling the player during his holdout. Under those circumstances, their decision to go on the record with Acee is curious, to say the least.

ProFootballTalk.com

27. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Appears our mystery team was in fact the Seahawks. So again, when will other teams gain access to Jackson?

"Vincent Jackson trade talks are dead Monday with Jackson’s holdout potentially set to continue. Vincent Jackson was in trade talks with only one team since Saturday and that team is no longer interested. Which team was it? ESPN reports that Chargers couldn’t make a deal with a single unnamed team since trade talks started on Saturday. Previous reports on LALATE suggested that team could be the Rams. Vincent Jackson’s trade fell apart on compensation disagreements says the report." Vincent Jackson Trade Talks Are Dead

"It was widely assumed that the Rams were the team hot on the trail of Jackson Saturday, but this report indicates it was the Seahawks all along." [This leads to a report written by Kevin Acee] Fantasy Football Breaking News - Rotoworld.com

"Conflicting reports came out Sunday as to why the holdout Pro Bowler was not traded. According NBC San Diego.com, reports surfaced that the Chargers did not exert effort in dealing the former Northern Colorado standout... One of the teams interested in Jackson was Seattle, but the Seahawks decided to pull out after hearing of the receiver’s asking price, according to the Union-Tribune. The Rams and Vikings have also reportedly explored trade options with Jackson, but publicly indicated recently that their interest on the 2009 Pro-Bowler has waned." Report: Potential Trade Of Chargers' Vincent Jackson Scuttled | AHN

"[PFT] reported over the weekend that Jackson's representatives had a one-year deal worked out with another team (which turned out to be the Seattle Seahawks), but talks are now dead. Smith had granted permission for Jackson to broker deals around the NFL pending his approval of said deals, but given Smith's reputation as a hard-line guy, one wouldn't have been surprised if Smith did that knowing full well that no team would meet his price in trade." Deep Posts: Notable names missing - Shutdown Corner - NFL* - Yahoo! Sports

Where's the evidence that any team other than Seattle attempted to strike a deal. Which, they apparently did, only to have Capt Dickhaed blow it up!

28. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Obviously you are referring the VJ or his management team.

A.J. Smith is god otherwise.

Get on your knees and beg forgiveness or be caste down with the lepers and nazi midget sodomites in the bowels of hell.

29. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I found AJ Smiths wife and this is what she said to VJ (the new sheriff in town) when he asked for a raise.

I bet the conversation went something like this :

30. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    VJ's agents hanging out today with Vincent. Trying to pep him up.

Dean AJ!