1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers still looking for ILB and WR

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Sunday status update: ILB and WR
    Written by
    Kevin Acee

The Chargers are getting their young inside linebackers ready to start.

But that is not Plan A for 2011.

What is the plan? It’s not Lofa Tatupu, but it likely is another player who has been or will be released in the coming weeks.

The Chargers signed Travis LaBoy, Bob Sanders and Takeo Spikes and brought back 11 of their own free agents in the frenetic week that was. That’s it for now. The guys on the field (practicing or not) this afternoon are the Chargers. Not the entire team, but close.

The team remains in talks with first-rounder Corey Liuget, and while there is no "progress," according to people familiar with the non-negotiating going on right now, Liuget is expected in camp without much further delay.

Beyond that, what will happen is that A.J. Smith will sit back and wait for the dust to settle on the releases around the NFL.

As Norv Turner noted on the first day of camp: “Our team won’t be together for another three or four weeks.”

It may or may not take that long. This isn’t any other year. In this post-labor war lead-up to the season, months of offseason transactions are condensed to weeks, weeks to days, days to hours and hours to minutes.

Smith usually dabbles (if that) in free agency in March and then makes a couple moves in June. He made the most ripples he’s ever made in the free agency pool over the past week, and what usually occurs in June with released veterans getting snatched up will now likely happen between now and the start of the preseason.

The primary positions the Chargers are looking at on the waiver wire are inside linebacker and wide receiver.

Let’s address the big question at inside linebacker:

Tatupu was released by the Seahawks but is coming off three injury-plagued years and asked for his release when Seattle requested he take a pay cut. The Chargers are not looking to pay someone more than $4 million a year. If they were, they would have been able to work something out with Kevin Burnett. He wanted to stay. Burnett on Friday fired long-time agent Ricky Lefft and ended up getting a four-year, $21 million deal with the Miami Dolphins that was negotiated by agents John Rickert and Peter Schaffer.

Several other linebackers have hit the market, and more will follow. The Chargers already have young linebackers Jonas Mouton and Donald Butler, both of whom they expect to start some day.

Adding a veteran receiver could happen soon or could happen after the season starts. The Chargers feel good about a wide receiver corps that goes – and pay attention to the order – Vincent Jackson, Patrick Crayton, Vincent Brown, Kelley Washington and Seyi Ajirotutu. But, depending on how things progress with Brown and others, there is a good chance they look to add a player before the trade deadline in October.

As for the big question at receiver:

Yes, there is still a chance Malcom Floyd will be a Charger in 2011. A slim chance that is better than none only because of how the market has fallen.

Floyd is waiting for a call many expected would come in the first couple days after the free agency negotiating period opened. Floyd will end up somewhere, but likely for about half what his agent was initially asking, according to people around the league.

That initial asking price topped $5 million. It would need to come down even further for Floyd to return to the Chargers.

2. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    ILBs that I think are still available that might be good replacements.
    Kirk Morrison played in 4-3 but should be able to make the switch.
    Barrett Ruud same as Morrison.
    Maybe Rocky McIntosh, he played inside in a 3-4 base.

3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Ruud signed with Tennessee.

4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Going over rosters - and news of who may or may not be on roster bubbles, here's who I've come up with:

ILB:
    Kirk Morrison - Honestly, I think it all depends on how much money he asks for; he can compliment Spikes well. And he's not drawing a ton of interest from what I'm seeing.
    Ben Leber - We all should remember Ben. He was miscast when he was first here, and he's not quite the player he used to be, but his skill set can still be useful to us as a stopgap. Everything points to his first choice being going back to Minnesota, but the Vikings have moved on from him.
    Keith Brooking - He was already going to be seeing more of his normal snaps this season go to Sean Lee in Dallas, now he's missing the first two weeks of the preseason because of being hampered by a hamstring injury. Not necessarily anyone's first choice because of his age and the fact he's already nursing an injury, but he has experience in as close to a twin of Manusky's scheme as we're going to find, having played in Wade's 3-4 for the past 2 years.
    Channing Crowder - Not a great pass-rushing presence. Pretty terrible in coverage, which was why the Dolphins sought to replace him with Burnett. He's a solid run-defender and he has experience in a 3-4. Pray to God he's not who AJ settles on because he'll have us wishing for Mouton ASAP.[/b
    Tim Dobbins - Another familiar face. I'm not quite so sure the Phins are ready to let him go, but with their starters set in Dansby and Burnett, and second-year man AJ Edds in the wings, Dobby is little more than depth for them. If he gets beaten out by one of their younger guys in camp, I won't be surprised to see them let him go. And being that he knows the scheme, I'd be pretty sure he'd be AJ's first choice.[/b]
    Gerald Hayes - Similar to Crowder, I'd be upset if he was the signing. He's coming off a back injury, he isn't particularly athletic, and about the only thing he's got going for him is that he's played in a 3-4 before, but it was 3-4 scheme that's wholly different from ours.[/b]
    Brandon Chillar - Coming back from a knee injury, and I really don't like his chances to make any immediate impact. Kind of an average level jack-of-all-trades (master of none) type. But the knee injury concerns me. Experience in the Lebeau 3-4 in Green Bay.[/b]

WR:
    Derrick Mason - Depends on how much we're willing to spend and how open he is to moving. Mason's still a dependable possession receiver as a #2 or #3 option. Also might be a quality, hard-working, calming presence to have around Jackson.[/b]
    Laurent Robinson - It just feels like an AJ signing. Capable of being a deep threat; needs to refine his route-running, but that's typically Joyner's specialty. Displayed quality hands, he's just struggled to use his tools to get open and separation.[/b]
    Hank Baskett - OK, mostly on this list because of Kendra, but you don't think she'd freak out if her husband was playing for her favorite team? Hank's nothing spectacular, but he's got his head on straight and doesn't do anything particularly bad. And Rivers has a habit of making those type of guys look way better than they are.
    TJ Houshmandzadeh - He's lost a step whether he wants to admit it or not; it was evident enough last season. But Baltimore also lacked any sort of ability to stretch the field to free up Whosyourmama on the short and medium routes that's he's typically most effective at producing on.
    Randy Moss - Never gonna happen. I'm not even sure AJ would bring him in on the vet minimum; and we all know Randy would sooner retire than play for that little straight cash, homey. But a guy can dream, can't he?
    Malcom Floyd - If the market sucks enough, he will come... back.[/b]
    Bryant Johnson - I'm not the biggest fan with respect to our brand of passing game; Johnson doesn't fit the Coryell as well as he does the West Coast Offense. But the guy got a raw deal in Detroit because when he was healthy, his first string QB wasn't, and the other QB's on the roster basically keyed in on Calvin Johnson and not much else.
    Chris Chambers - He should retire, but I doubt he's willing to accept that yet. He knows the offense and if he's willing to come on the vet minimum, it's entirely possible he's the desperation grab for someone who could probably hit the ground running. (The question is if he can still actually catch while doing that running.)
    Antonio Bryant - This is my dark horse who I think could surprise from folks. He broke out in Tampa two years ago, signed a deal as a UFA with Cincy last year, got injured, got cut, got re-signed... and Carson Palmer turned into a noodle-armed 6th grade girl in terms of throwing the ball. If he's healthy, he's one of those potential quality 2's that could spot-start as a 1 (particularly in an offense that flows through Gates as the primary receiver anyway) in the event of an injury.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    LBC, you left out Rocky McIntosh who plays the middle as well or better than most you mentioned.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Lofa Tatupu was released. Any interest? He was a good player a couple years ago, but he has never played in the 3-4

7. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I remember Antonio Bryant. Do want if he's still got it.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Lofa can't stay healthy. Just what we need, another guy everyone will cry about because he gets injured. PASS.

I'd sure like to see Morrison in a Bolts jersey though. Wouldn't mind seeing Leber or Dobbins back either. The only guys on that WRs list I want to see here is Malcom and Bryant, maybe Housh or Mason. The rest can go **** themselves.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    LOL Moss just retired. HAHAHAHAHA

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'd be willing to give Lofa same deal Sanders gets, both show they can be healthy and playmakers, we benefit and we can try to resign them. I'm good with Leber but why no love for Kirk morrison? Think he would love to be here

As far as WR, I'm not in a massive rush to get someone. To be honest outside of Floyd I don't see anyone really better then Crayton.

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Maybe it was subconscious. McIntosh was pretty pedestrian in Washington's 3-4 last season compared to his play when they ran a 4-3. Much as I'd like to just assume that Haslett and Shanny haven't got a damn clue how to properly field and run a 3-4, the son shines on a dogs you-know-what every now and then. The fact that Washington would even pursue him for depth pings pretty heavily with me. I'm actually truly shocked that Tennessee pick Ruud over him, because he's a more well-rounded 4-3 Mike than Ruud is (Ruud doesn't possess run defense... it's not a case of it not being bad... he gets steamrolled and carried for extra yards; that's the "Speed Bump" technique if I recall, right?).

Edit: He also went to Miami, and other than Dedrick Epps who lasted all of a preseason on our roster, we know that AJ just has it in for The U.

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Mason's the only one that truly intrigues me. I really don't want any part of Housh, but I knew someone would probably rail me for leaving him off. Mason's old, yes. But his body has miraculously managed to avoid major injury throughout his career. He's crafty and just an incredibly smart WR - you only need to watch Flacco's second season in Baltimore to see that (Mason bailed him out when Joe was missing windows on read right and left).

I'm not saying bring the guy in on a huge, long-term deal. Chuck him $1.5-2M/season on maybe a 2-year contract (and guarantee year one... that's reasonable). I look at it this way. If Rivers can make Kelley Washington look like the 3rd Down Whiz Kid... with Gates and Jackson assuring him single-coverage on every snap he takes, Rivers can make Mason look at least as good as Floyd did in '09.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I said I would love to see Morrison in a Bolts jersey.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Lofa had one year where he missed more than 1 game due to injury. He played in all 16 games last year, was injured in 2009, played in 15 games in 2008, and 16 in 2007, 2006, and 2005. I wouldn't really call that injury prone

15. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Then I stand corrected. My bad. If that's the case I wouldn't mind signing him.

16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    It's not that he can't stay healthy, it's that his injuries have made him a shell of his former self. Both knees have been surgically repaired. He doesn't have the sideline-to-sideline speed that made him special before. He was never particularly great in coverage, but he had the athletic ability to at the very least run with guys and be a pesky sort to make it difficult to make the reception difficult (which also led to where a solid 50+% of his INT's perpetually coming off of tipping balls to himself rather than actually plucking them out of the air).

Last season with Seattle, his limitations showed and he benefited from having a number of extremely athletic LB's playing around him (even discounting Aaron Curry because his play hasn't been all that great since coming into the league TBH, David Hawthorne and Will Herring are athletic freaks with speed and agility for days). Lofa was effectively asked to just QB the defense, sit back in a close-to-the-line rover role, and collect tackles of runners that managed to break through the line. For what we need him for, he doesn't IMO have the tools to succeed anymore.

17. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    jets are shopping J Cotch.. Dudes underrated i'd love to have him on our squad.

• Like Like x 1
  18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I wouldn't pay anything more than a 7th for him. We could pull a comparable receiver off the market for the same ~$2M/yr average he's due over the next two seasons.

19. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Like who??

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Antonio Bryant, Laurent Robinson, and Derrick Mason all come to mind.

Also, Dolphins released Tim Dobbins today... methinks this might have been what Acee was expecting and projecting. Team familiarity, scheme familiarity, he'll come cheap, even after he's passed up on the DC by Mouton/Butler he'll still be valuable ST contributor.

I realize he's not a "major name" signing that so many folks get hung up on that we should be bringing in, but every championship team (save for the 2000 Ravens) was made up of more roleplayers who had a job and executed it well than big name superstars.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Remember, Acee said that Dobbins was a "bad guy"...... #imjustsaying ;)

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Did he? I don't remember that. Then again... I'm pushing 30; that's about when the memory starts to go... isn't it Conc?

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The pisser was Acee never explained what he meant by that, which is chickenshit. Bad mouth a guy after he gets traded, but don't say what he did...... weak. :tdown:

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I wish we had kept Siler but would take Dobbins back at a bargain price in a second.

And Acee is chickenshit.

• Like Like x 2
  25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Do you expect more from Acee? I don't. Dude has zero journalistic integrity, which is why he will be writing for a failing new paper and not for a real publication, for a long time

26. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    I'd take Cotch in a heart beat over any but maybe Bryant depending on health

27. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    No, that's just hair ;)

28. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Kirk Morrison would be a good addition next to Spikes

• Like Like x 1
  29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Morrison is too much like Spikes...... we need a cover guy more than another run stopper.

30. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I thought Morrison was more coverage then thumper