1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers | Team attempting to acquire extra draft picks

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by boltmanbz, Apr 14, 2008.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080414/news_1s14chargers.html
    Chargers made 3 key draft picks a year early

By Kevin Acee
    STAFF WRITER

April 14, 2008

A.J. Smith will proudly and with a deep sense of satisfaction display the names of Chris Chambers, Eric Weddle and Paul Oliver on the Chargers' draft board two weekends from now.

Those are the three players already on the Chargers' roster, acquired via moves that cost the team its second-, third-and fourth-round picks in this year's NFL draft.

Advertisement
    “That's what we did to help the San Diego Chargers win,” Smith said. “That's all that matters.”

But he can't help himself. He is, after all, a man who staunchly swears by the draft as the primary tool with which to build a consistent winner.

“I knew this would happen to me come draft time,” Smith said.

At several moments in a recent conversation, he abruptly interjected: “But I want a two, three and four, too.”

Now, Smith knows that's a tad greedy, perhaps a little unrealistic and entirely a matter of eating his cake and still having it. But it doesn't mean he won't try.

League sources have said the Chargers have been involved in talks about trading for extra picks and indicated the club will remain engaged in such attempts until it's on the clock on April 26.

Smith will only say, with a coy smile, “I still can wheel and deal.”

What the Chargers have to deal is the 27th pick in the first round, which could bring them selections in the middle of the second and third rounds.

With offensive line and a third cornerback as their top needs and deep draft classes at both positions, moving down would seemingly make sense.

The Chargers also have at least two compensatory fourth-round picks in the 2009 draft, their presumed reward for losing Drayton Florence and Michael Turner to free agency. Depending on how Turner and Florence perform in 2008, one of those picks could become a third-rounder. A team cannot trade its compensatory picks, but having them allows Smith the leeway to trade his original third-or fourth-round pick.

“I'm open to everything,” he said.

If he can't acquire more picks, Smith won't be terribly disappointed. He has prepared himself and his staff.

“It's what we're calling a light year, an off year,” Smith said. “I feel it's worth it for what we got. I'd do Chambers again. I'd do Weddle again. I'd do Oliver again.”

Chambers, the receiver acquired in trade for this year's second-round pick, might have been the single biggest reason the Chargers' offense turned around the second half of last season. Weddle, for whom the Chargers traded up to select in last year's draft, was a strong role player and will start at free safety in 2008. And Oliver, a defensive back taken in the fourth round of last summer's supplemental draft, is expected to play a lot in '08.

But the draft is Smith's baby.

And this certainly is an odd situation to find him in, this man who has with astute drafts the past four Aprils built the Chargers into a perennial contender, winner of the AFC West three of the past four seasons and an AFC championship participant in '07.

After that 27th pick, the Chargers do not select again until 160th. The draft will go a full 24 hours without the Chargers being on the clock between early Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon (April 27).

“I don't know if I have less to do,” Smith said. “Anything could happen. I could have more to do inside 10 minutes.”

Chargers coaches and scouts have been directed to attack this draft as if the team has a full complement of picks. They don't want to have to be scrambling if a trade comes down during the draft. Their homework needs to be done.

“We could get creative,” Smith said. “I like our team. If we stay where we are and there is a first-rounder, we're going to add a good player.”

Regardless, the Chargers' draft board will be full.

When Miami picks in the second round, Smith will put Chambers' name up. When Chicago selects in the third round with the pick it got for the trade with the Chargers in last year's draft, Smith will post a card with Weddle's name. And when the Chargers' spot in the fourth round passes, Oliver's name will go on the board.

“I'm happy with what we got,” Smith said. “I want Chambers, I want Weddle, I want Oliver, and I want a two, a three and a four.”

2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    Igor is on the block!!

:abq2:

3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +629
    This was on the ESPN:NFL front page.
    Igor looks good compared to those 3 wastes of human flesh, but that doesn't change the fact that Igor needs to improve his game.