1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers team bowling contest

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Day at the lanes

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 1 hour ago
    6-7-2010

Trio of rookies win team bowling contest; accept good-natured ribbing

SAN DIEGO – Even in victory, the Chargers’ rookies couldn’t escape a bit of teasing.

Veteran inside linebacker Brandon Siler[​IMG] and three of his first-year positional teammates claimed the championship at the team bowling outing Wednesday at Kearny Mesa Bowl.

Boris Lee[​IMG] (178), Siler (163), Mike Nixon[​IMG] (131) and Brandon Lang[​IMG] (96) combined for a 568 to beat three other teams in a bowl-off.

As they accepted their trophy, Philip Rivers[​IMG] spoke from the back of the crowd.

“Put that thing up in the (hotel) on top of the TV,” he said in reference to the rookies’ current living arrangements, drawing a healthy laugh.

Fellow rookie Cam Thomas[​IMG] didn’t make the final, but Lane 33 wasn’t far enough from Head Coach Norv Turner to hide the color of his bowling ball.

“Cam, you’ve got a pink ball!” Turner said moments after picking up a spare in his first warmup frame. “It’s pink!”

But none of the one-liners trumped Running Backs Coach Ollie Wilson, who sprayed heckling darts across all four finalist’s lanes.

“Certain individuals need to work on handling pressure,” he explained later.

Many of his barbs, spoken with an infectious grin, aimed at Director of Business Operations John Hinek.

Hinek flexed a taut right biceps after one strike, suppressing a grin. That drew a chuckle from Wilson, who took credit for a subsequent gutter ball.

Teams played two preliminary games with their best score determining four finalists, which bowled 10 more frames to decide the champions.

The final four groups included two teams of players and two of staff members. Director of Player Development Arthur Hightower, bowling in his own shoes trimmed in gold, collected six consecutive strikes in one game and twice eclipsed 200, including the day’s high score of 220. But in the finals, it wasn’t enough to lead his team past Siler and company.

The veteran linebacker, bowling in a sleeveless white muscle shirt, resembled a heel-clicking leprechaun on his consistent quest for spares, hopping into the air and drawing his feet beneath him in a unique move that drew plenty of curiosity.

“It’s my accuracy ball. When I jump, it straightens my (bowling) balls out,” he explained.

Lee was named MVP for leading his group to the win..

“Everything you do, you’ve got to show your stuff,” a jovial Lee said. “Even at the bowling alley you want to give them something to talk about.

“I guess today was just my day. It was very fun. I really enjoyed coming out and doing it. All the team communicated together and everybody got along and had a good time. That actually means a lot for a team.”

Sporting a ball cap and T-shirt depicting a surfer, Rivers cringed as he saw his first-game score of 158 jotted into a notebook. Billy Volek[​IMG] notched a 162 in the same game.

“That was a warmup game. Come back; we’re going over 200,” he said with a hint of seriousness.

Turner edged his second score above 170 after a respectable 154 in his first effort.

“It was a fun event for the team and the staff,” Turner said. “Everybody enjoyed it.”

Although Nixon’s reserved fist pump and Siler’s bouncy antics proved dramatic, one of the day’s classic celebrations belonged to Director of College Scouting John Spanos.

Spanos broke out the double-handed shooter after a strike in the first game.

Scott Mruczkowski[​IMG], last year’s individual high bowler, won a trophy for wearing the best bowling shirt.

Thomas was named “Scariest Bowler” and also left with a trophy.