1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers - Team Free Agent Priorities

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Looking at San Diego’s free agent priorities
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 27, 2011, 4:26 PM EDT

We haven’t done a post-lockout checklist for the Chargers just yet. When that happens, we’ll have to address the large quantity of expected free agents on the roster.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune has given us a head start on our homework.

Writing about the team’s priorities in a mailbag Monday, Acee wrote that the Chargers intend to re-sign linebacker Kevin Burnett, tackle Jeromey Clary and safety Eric Weddle, but know they will have competition for all three.

We’re a little surprised to hear Burnett in that mix. He and Clary should be relatively easy to keep if the Chargers want them. With so many teams needing a safety, we suspect Weddle will get paid huge bucks elsewhere. (And we think Weddle is worth the dough.)

For role players, Acee writes the team will ”make a run” at defensive end Cesaire and Billy Volek “but that will be contingent on both accepting the money and the role.”

Beyond that, Acee mentions reserve cornerback Dante Hughes as a guy the Chargers would like to keep.

Notably omitted by Acee are free agents like running back Darren Sproles, wide receivers Malcom Floyd and Legedu Naanee, and linebacker Stephen Cooper. That group sounds likely to leave, with Sproles and Floyd making interesting pickups elsewhere.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Needs are to dig to the bottom of the bargain bin and find a mean, angry LB with something to prove!

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Both ILB and OLB, please. :)

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And please make sure they are starting caliber players. We need a couple Foley, Goff, Godfry type FA signings, not a bunch of Ian Scott, John Runyan, Alfonso Boone, Nathan Vasher, where we get nothing more than a role player/has been/scrub.

We need a couple guys who can actually start. They don't need to be big named guys, or cost a ton, just be legit starting caliber players like we got with Goff, Foley, and Godfrey

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Manny Lawson is a free agent, and he knows Manusky's system.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    so this guy goes unblocked and gets a int against our offense and we should sign him?

gonna need more before I get on his bandwagon

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Who asked you to get on any bandwagon?........ just putting out affordable options. We all know AJ isn't going to chase any big dollar free agents. The question is...... do we have anybody better?

8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    not sure. gimmie more info on this guy.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    His stats may not be eye popping, but he's a versatile player, which the Chargers need in their scheme. He can rush the passer, but he can also drop back in coverage, and he makes tackles in the open field. I still believe the Chargers are hopeful that English will make an impact, but we need a player who can at least be solid, if not spectacular opposite Phillips.

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    makes me wonder even more about our front office. they throw that hopeful word around

a lot

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Lets get him. I wouldn't mind getting Spikes if we are unable to re-sign Burnett

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    What's left if you don't have hope...... despair? ;)

13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    No, you have the raydurs...

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    ILB - I want Kirk Morrison, simple as that. Resign Burnett, pair him with Morrison. They want to be here, they'll both work great in this sytem
    OLB - Lawson not a bad idea but might command too much money. Resign Barnes and backup wise I'd pair him with another SF LB, Travis Laboy. Just need a good backup in case English craps out for good
    S - No idea what we do here if Weddle leaves, not thrilled with Gilchrist or Stuckey being our FS
    RT - Ryan Harris from the Broncos, that's a BIG improvement

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Manny Lawson can't rush the passer well. They tried and tried to put him in a position (moving him around pre-snap, working different match-ups, bringing on delay versus straight up blitz, etc.) in every which way possible in San Fran and he was always mediocre at best. That said, he's Shaun Phillips but less prolific as a pure pass-rusher - great in coverage, good in run defense, works extremely well in space, just don't ask him to wreck a guy off the line and sack the QB. Thing is, he's still probably going to get paid like a top tier OLB if for no other reason than with a rookie OLB as raw as Aldon Smith the Niners can't afford to lose him. And Manny Lawson isn't worth excess of $7-8 million a season to us when we already have a guy like Shaun Phillips on the roster.

Morrison I do like, but I hope no one would be expecting him to be the big, nasty enforcer type ILB that so many are calling for because that's not "Hollywood." He's another coverage guy that's an effective wrap and drag tackler, but he's not the type that sticks his guy and knocks him backwards into last Tuesday. If Burnett (or Mouton, though I'm not necessarily holding out hope for an immediate impact out of him) can play that enforcer role then Morrison make a great pairing with him, but we still will have a guy in the interior LB's at that point that is capable of doing the Stephen Cooper 'get bowled over onto your backside' move against big, nasty power-runners. As veteran guys go, assuming AJ ever gets over his aversion to signing LB's over age 30, Ben Leber would be an ideal signing for us. The guy is capable of playing all three LB spots in a 4-3, so I don't foresee a difficulty with him moving inside in a 3-4.

If Weddle gets a huge offer (i.e. Adrian Wilson or Eric Berry money), the likelihood is that we'll do what needs to be done to secure Oliver long-term. Oliver's natural position is FS and while he's not as effective as Weddle, he's useful enough to be a stop-gap until Gilchrist claims the spot for his own. If nothing else, he'd be needed as a will-be-used backup to Brittle Bob unless Stuckey's made some tremendous strides in the offseason.

Ryan Harris is a zone-blocking OT. He does not perform well in iso-schemes like what we ask of our linemen. He's a tremendous combo-blocker, but then again... so is Clary, so that's not saying a ton. I also expect Harris to be practically in the pocket of Washington and Shannahan already... and it's not like Dan Snyder will have any problem with overpaying a free agent. To be honest, I'd actually prefer the guy that Washington would be bringing in Harris to replace, who is also a free agent... that being Jammal Brown. Wayne Hunter, formerly of the Jets, is also a nice option, but not one I honestly think AJ will go after. Unfortunately, and probably because it's the position that gets paid greater dough, Brown wants to play LT, not RT. The tackle market, unless we see some releases, is pretty bad. Making matters worse is that Dombrowski is probably going to get a decent-sized payday from some team that thinks he can be their answer at LT. A guy like Ray Willis or Zach Strief could be worth a look - but I'm not sure either has the ability to blow the doors so cleanly off Clary in camp and the preseason to give the coaching staff (who will forever have Clary's back) no choice but to bench the Human Revolving Door for them. I am holding out hope for an Evan Mathis signing though; he's not terribly young, but he also doesn't have much wear on his tires and is a better run-blocker than anyone we've got on our line not named Kris Dielman.

16. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    as far as Linebackers, we stil have Donald Butler. We did not get to see him play last year.

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Which is why we shouldn't be looking at a guy to meet our needs 5 years from now. But getting a guy who can be a solid starter for a year or 2 until Butler and Mouton prove they are capable of being a solid starter.

I really don't like the practice of letting them learn on the job. We did that with Vasqez, and our line as a unit struggled because of it. I would much rather get know commodities on the team, and let the young guys develop over a year or 2 playing part time.

18. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Why wouldn't they make a run at M80? I can't imagine he will warrant a huge salary and is a good fit in the Chargers system.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Do you mean Floyd? If so, I agree. If not, who is it you are talking about?

20. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Butler went on the IR just before the start of the 2010 season after sustaining an Achilles tendon injury.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I know that, which is why I am saying to to expect him to make an immediate contribution this year, and bring in a veteran that will allow Butler and Mouton to develop over a season or two, rather than expecting them to start and work through their struggle as the expense of the team like they did with Vasquez, and even Clary to a certain extent since he wasn't ready to start for at least a year after he was moved into the starting lineup, and the team struggled as they did

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Lawson won't get you a bunch of sacks, that's true. He does get hits and hurries on the QB though, which do have an effect. Not all QBs are like Rivers and will hold the ball to the last second knowing they'll get hit. A lot of QBs will get gun shy after taking a few good shots and dump the ball or rush a throw.

The question is, what OLB free agent can the Chargers afford to pickup when they have a number of their own that they want to retain. The pickings are a bit slim.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The problem is that an achilles injury can leave permanent effects, and Butler is essentially a rookie, not having played at all last season.

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Been ages since I've been on here. I can't believe Weddle could be gone. I hope he does a Dielman and stays for less. As far as I can make out nobody is ready to come in for him. Weddle will become a great leader back there (if he is not already). Also surprised to hear they are being blase about M80. I would have thought he'd be brought back. Glad to see no mention of Coop, adios amigo.

25. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    which in turn depends on how much the cap will be...

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    And how much of it they have to spend....... word is the new deal may require teams to spend 90-95% of the cap in real dollars (no funny accounting).

I found this comment on Lawson......

27. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Top 50 free agents: New rules could fill up deep pool - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

Not a bad list of available players.

I find the Floyd comment pretty nitpicky, when right on further down Braylon Edwards gets the same descript of his ydg avg but unlike Floyd him being 30 isnt a concern. I thought Edwards was older if not 30...

28. Malcom Floyd, WR, San Diego Chargers: At 6-5, he has the speed to stretch a defense. He averaged 19.4 yards per catch last season, which shows his big-play ability. He will be 30 when the season begins, which is a bit of a concern.

30. Braylon Edwards, WR, New York Jets: He averaged 17.1 yards per catch last season, which shows his big-play ability. He also had seven touchdown catches. He has improved on cutting down his drops.

28. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    So looked it up Braylon is 28... What a big diff.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The concern with Floyd isn't his age, it's his ability to stay healthy and play an entire season.

30. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    yeah, too bad he cant be like Bob Sanders...