1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers Team Report - 11/01/10

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by ChargerRay, Nov 1, 2010.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Source: USA Today

Antonio Gates is turning into the poster boy for leadership among the Chargers.
    The Chargers were feeling good about themselves Monday after snapping a three-game losing streak in disposing of the Titans on Sunday, 33-25.

And many talked of the example Gates showed, when playing with a throbbing toe injury. Still, he had five receptions for 123 yards and a score in leading the Chargers back to the victory.

"He knows how I feel about him," quarterback Philip Rivers said. "I tell him I appreciate him all the time."

This was a critical time for the Chargers' season. Already with five losses to their credit, they could ill-afford to fall another game behind in the AFC West — especially with the Chiefs and Raiders winning Sunday.

So Gates, with some medical pain-killers, ignored his pain and put the hurt on the Titans.

"I've been in situations, prior to this one, where I've had to play through injuries," said Gates, who has an NFL-high nine touchdowns. "So I think you get accustomed to doing things. Mentally is where I have to get everything through the week. One thing I've learned in this league is that 90 percent of it is mental."

If Gates and the Chargers can get through one more week, a bye awaits. That will give Gates and others time to heal as the Chargers try to make a frantic second-half push toward the playoffs.

In addition to Gates, the down time will help wide receivers Malcom Floyd (hamstring) and Legedu Naanee (hamstring) get right.

But first is a date with the Texans and that includes a trip to Houston.

To date, the Chargers are 0-4 on the road and unless they prove they can excel away from Qualcomm Stadium, it won't matter.

But when things matter — and seasons are on the brink — the Chargers know they can count on Gates.

"Guys feed off what he does," Rivers said. "It's very clear in the locker room why he plays and what it means to him. He's a leader and obviously a captain. He doesn't have to lead vocally."

NOTES, QUOTES

—How does TE Antonio Gates continue to play at a high level despite a painful toe injury? The wonders of modern medicine allow him to do just that for three hours each Sunday and that is about it. "On Saturday I told the guys I was going to give them 80 percent and I was going to give that all of the 80 percent I had," he said.

—LT Marcus McNeill is getting his legs back after three games. He missed the first part of the season in a contract dispute. "My comfort level gets better and better each week," he said. "I try to pick up my level of play every week."

—The Chargers finally held a team at the end to win a game - although it helped that Chris Johnson dropped a pass on the final play at the San Diego 10. "We knew it was going to come down to us," S Eric Weddle said. "For us to make that stop was really huge for our confidence and huge for us as individuals."

—Newly signed WR Vincent Jackson will have a full week of practice this week, his first since signing his contract on Friday.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

PLAYER NOTES

—ILB Brandon Siler (foot) will attempt to practice this week.

—PK Nate Kaeding is expected to miss this week with a groin injury. He probably won't kick until after the bye week.

—WR Malcom Floyd might be down one more week with a hamstring injury.

—WR Buster Davis is hoping to practice this week after sitting out Sunday with sore ribs.

—S Steve Gregory can return to practice and is eligible to play in Sunday's game after serving a four-game suspension for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs.

REPORT CARD VS. TITANS

PASSING OFFENSE: B-plus — Philip Rivers did throw another interception but he also sped past 300 yards and delivered two touchdowns. Antonio Gates, again, was sensational and that is while playing with a bad toe> he had five receptions for 123 yards and a score. Protection was good with just one sack; Rivers did take some scary hits.

RUSHING OFFENSE: B — The Chargers had 156 rushing yards, their second-highest total of the season. The combination of Ryan Mathews, Mike Tolbert and Darren Sproles had 147 rushing yards and two scores. The run-blocking was good, and that was against an aggressive Titans front.

PASS DEFENSE: D — More than 300 yards allowed and that was from two quarterbacks - neither one of them at 100 percent. Too many big plays and too many guys wide open from busted coverages.

RUSH DEFENSE: B — The defensive line was stout in not letting the blockers clear much of a path. Antonio Garay is getting more productive in the middle. The linebackers were freed up and it showed: Kevin Burnett had seven tackles. The run defense is on an upswing with consecutive solid performances.

SPECIAL TEAMS: F — Oh boy. Another blocked punt, a botched hold on an extra point, a 36-yard punt return. You get the idea. This remains a critical reason why the Chargers have reached the halfway point with only three wins. Mike Scifres did get off a 63-yard punt.

COACHING: A — Norv Turner gets emotional in the locker room at halftime and to a man the players say his message hit home. Turner gets high marks as well for leaning on the running game with such force which made things easier for Rivers when throwing the ball. Ron Rivera's run defense schemes were good, but what's with the pass defense? Not only did it get abused, but there was little pass pressure as the Chargers didn't record a sack.