1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers the Spurs of the NFL?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Antonio Gates compares Chargers to the San Antonio Spurs
    by Ernie Padaon

Antonio Gates was talking about his current team and the makeup of the roster. He was speaking on how everyone on the team knows their role and they will not step out of that role. He was speaking about the veterans that keep getting their job done and the young guys that follow suit. He talked about Philip Rivers running the point on the offense and that is how the team has been successful.

Here is what he said via UT San Diego:

“I like to view it like the San Antonio Spurs,” said Gates, the former college basketball player, referring to the defending NBA champions, who are known for their unselfish play. “The guys who have been around the longest understand our roles without feeling we have to step on anybody’s toes. And vice versa, the young guys understand they’re playing a role. That’s what makes it all go

“I’m the post man, and if they dump to me, I’ve got shooters on the wing who can make jump shots. Philip is the point guard, putting everything together. He throws it in the post, I kind of work it in the middle of the field, and if that’s something you want to take away, we’ve got guys who can hit the three. Kind of like the Spurs.”

The one piece that he forgot about the San Antonio Spurs is that coaching staff. Gregg Popovich is one of the best in the business and he gets that team focused to come in every game and put their best effort out onto the field. He is the reason why that team has the professional attitude and is the reason why that team is competing for the championship every year.

Mike McCoy has become that Gregg Popovich in this locker room. He has been able to round up the vets on the roster and get them all to play to the level that they need to play at. He has been able to get the rookies to buy into the system and get them to work as a team. He has been able to give the keys to John Pagano and Frank Reich to allow them the control they need to make this thing a success.

Mike McCoy is as big a part of this puzzle as any one of the players that is on the field. He hasn’t gotten much recognition around the league with his quarterback tearing the world to shreds and his rookie running back catching people’s eyes. Soon enough, the world will be talking about him in high regard. He has to be one of the leading candidates for coach of the year. After we win the division, there should not be any arguments on who should win it!

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I kind of really hate the Spurs, but I certainly respect them and can understand Antonio's point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I like the comparison, but it's not a fair assessment. The San Antonio Spurs have not missed the NBA Playoffs in 17 years, and are a top notch -franchise- from top to bottom, from the General Manager down to the 12th man on the bench. A little hard to make the comparison given that this is just the beginning of our new culture and coaching/management's regime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Not to take anything away from the Spurs but it's not as hard to make the playoffs for 17 years running when you barely have to break .500 to get there because they let practically half the league in.

• Like Like x 3
  5. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Yeah, but the distribution curve is unfair. To make it in the West, you need to actually have a quality team to crack the top 8.

In the East, you pretty much can duct tape a team together from table scraps, and if they show ANY signs of cohesion, they are probably a 4-seed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    No hocus pocus with this team, they just go out and play football. Bobby's team did that also, albeit, they did sneak into the Super Bowl and it was a great time in Dego.

7. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +29
    Its even easier than that, 16/30 make it which is more than half

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I like to see the Chargers in general and Rivers in particular get the recognition they deserve but part of me is uneasy about this much attention

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +117
    Agree with you. I wish the press would leave the bolts alone, and go fawn over Peyton.

10. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    And Tom's lap...

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Media attention comes with success, which means to be able to continue to succeed that's yet another thing they have to be able to handle.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Winner! I think this as been the season of cliche cleansing for the chargers. Beat bad teams? Check Hold down the 4th quarter . Check

I love the Spurs comparison and I think they should take that all the way.

13. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Maybe in the East, but out West you sometimes have to crack 50 wins to make the cut. Let's also not forget that the Spurs don't roll in as an 8 seed, they're usually up there.

I like the comparison from a standpoint of creating a team first, share the ball, no dominant egos approach, but to be truly accurate, you have to win a lot more before you can compare yourselves to a San Antonio team that have 5 rings in the last 15 years. To be honest, just trying to emulate that type of team culture is a great sign though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I'll grant you that they play in the tougher conference but the fact remains that more than half of each conference gets in.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    The Bolts under McCoy is like watching Chuck Noll build the Stillers into winners 69-72 then he just kept on going. This team still has weakness in more than one area but keep on chugging away no matter what's up ahead. In the next few weeks some front liners should be rejoining the ranks for the playoff push,only the Bolts won't be a secrete then.

16. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    8 out of 15 as opposed to the NFL's 6 out of 16. 2 more teams in a conference that has 1 less team. Also, as I mentioned, they aren't just making the playoffs every year, they've won 5 championships and been to the finals 6 times. They've also won their division 7 times out of a possible 10 since the formation of it, averaging well over 50 wins a season.

As a Laker fan, I don't like the Spurs, but you gotta respect their consistency and acknowledge them as a successful franchise that knows how to operate at a high level for a sustained period of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Regardless, 17 straight years is no easy feat especially with no top 20 players, and
    Yeah, pretty much this. They have a winning culture and our success has been mixed over the same span.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Like I said I'm not trying to take anything from them. They're a model franchise. My posts are more a slight against the NBA than the spurs.

And those two teams are huge.

19. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    In European football (soccer) there are no playoffs. The team with the best record gets the trophy. I think the playoff system is a bit of a blight, but it is necessitated through having too many teams to make running a balanced schedule impossible.

So the question becomes, if you are stuck with this flawed situation, is less better? It draws interest, creates revenue and forces teams, who are there having enjoyed an easier schedule, to face the music in an earlier round.

I have never heard Chargers fans complain about an 9-7 or 8-8 team of theirs making the playoffs, let alone winning a game under that scenario.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Well no one is ever going to "complain" that their team made the playoffs. :rolleyes: That's silly.
    But I myself said numerous times that the Chargers didn't deserve to be in the playoffs last year:
    That only an officiating error and a humiliating "victory" over a KC team that phoned it in
    pushed the team from 8-8 to a 9-7 playoff birth...so I can't really pretend to agree with your last point.

There are good and bad things about the playoff system, but I wouldn't call it a "flawed situation"
    unless the good and bad of the Euro system is also called a "flawed situation."
    I like the idea that the "best" teams have to beat the other "best" teams in multiple games--under extra pressure--to hoist the trophy.
    Yes, it occasionally leads to an embarrassment like a mediocre Giants team getting healthy, hot,
    and just lucky enough to beat a superior Patriots team...but hey, every system puts up a bad result once in a while.

Oh, and Europeans are weenies.

21. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    I consider you a leading expert on weenies Lance.

22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Well, I don't like to brag...

Screen Shot 2014-10-11 at 8.30.35 AM.png

23. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    Of course not! :D

24. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    What you forgot to mention is that in the system which Soccer employs to determine its seasonal champions, every team twice plays (home + away) ALL the other teams in the table (division) which they are in. There are no multiple divisions of the equals (they do have multiple divisions based on relegations and promotions) and different conferences. That system is almost impossible to implement in the NFL simply because they will end up having a 30+ week schedule!

The other point which I would like to make is that there is a playoff system in European Soccer and those are the annual Championship Cups among the club champions of each country which participates in European Cup Championship ;)

25. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I like how wary the team seems to be this year. Mike McCoy not giving them Monday off, Gates saying they're preparing as if the Raiders were the defending champs, Rivers saying they've prepared for disaster, Dwight Freeney giving speeches the night before games....

I like that they are looking for the trap door, these are definitely not Norv's Chargers anymore.

26. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    “It’s about consistency,” Freeney said. “If you’re a really good team and have the ability to beat the best teams, then you should destroy the not-so-good teams.”

• Like Like x 1
  27. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Would that make San Diegans tantamount to San Antonians? :eek:

Ted Cruz our congressman? :mad:
    Rick Perry our governor? :rolleyes:
    The proudest point in our state a memorial to a battle we lost...trying to defend slavery? :oops:

Well, at least Schlitterbahn is only 25 miles away! :D

Fuck Texas!.png

28. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    You forgot to add:

- Secured borders against Ebola carrying ISIS fighters ;)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    Nice post Herr Blitzschlag, except if you would have read mine more carefully you'd have stumbled onto the "too many teams to run a balanced schedule" part.

30. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I saw it SandyBob but if I remember correctly, back in the days when I was a mere nipper studying in London, there were roughly the same number of teams in the then First Division (renamed the Premier Divi) as there are now in the NFL. In order to utilize the whole 52 weeks in the year to arrange 2 games in between each team (home + away) so that the team with the most points gets the Lombardy Trophy, allowing for all the pump and circumstances, draft, FA, training camp, etc; albeit much more condensed, will necessitate 3 divisions with like 10 teams in each...

This type of system will make fans so indignant that we may end up having Civil War II in here ;) Although the though of the Turds belonging in the bottom of the 3rd division year in and year out with potential of relegation to division 4 held in Mexico, sounds deliciously justified to some of us Chargers fans :D