1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers, their RFAs not alone

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]
    A.J. Smith - Its my way or the highway

Kevin Acee
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 a.m.30 9:58 a.m.

In my never-ending quest to provide perspective, I submit this.
    Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill are evidently not the only restricted free agents prepared to go down the holdout road. And the Chargers are not the only team that will reduce their salaries.
    As of this morning, 13 RFAs around the league had not signed their tenders, and six of them are in the same boat as McNeill and Jackson. They will face a pay cut that lowers their 2010 salary to 110 percent of their '09 salary.
    Even though the deadline for players to sign was midnight last night, teams have until tonight to officially notify the league they will replace a player's original tender. The Chargers will certainly do so.
    McNeill and Jackson will face the biggest cuts -- at $2.685 million for Jackson and $2.568 million for McNeill. Tampa Bay's Donald Penn faces a $100,000 reduction.
    The other RFAs facing reductions are New England guard Logan Mankins, New Orleans safety Roman Harper, Kansas City safety Jarrad Page and Green Bay safety Atari Bigby and cornerback Tramon Williams.
    Mankins is the only other player who has said he will hold out. But it's difficult to fathom any of them besides Penn would let the deadline pass and then take a much lower tender and show up for training camp.
    New England, Green Bay and Tampa Bay have sent letters to their RFAs. It is believed that New Orleans and Kansas City did as well.
    Of the dozen or so agents I have talked to that have had their RFAs sign their tenders, none agrees with the route VJ and McNeill are taking. They and their clients are frustrated, too, but they don't feel there is anything to gain by not playing.
    Nonetheless, as many of them believe the teams have colluded in threatening to replace the tenders, they wish the two Chargers well and will be fascinated to watch this play out.

2. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Of the dozen or so agents I have talked to that have had their RFAs sign their tenders, none agrees with the route VJ and McNeill are taking. They and their clients are frustrated, too, but they don't feel there is anything to gain by not playing.

This is the part that has me wondering what is really going here. Things just dont make sense. Why these players? Is it their agents or what the heck is it? I am so curious to this answer.

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Some will say they're being selfish pricks holding out for money.

Others will blame AJ Smith and say he's bullying them.

I'll refrain from answering the question because I do not have all the facts. (and neither does anybody else posting here no matter how much they pretend to)

The only thing we do know is that it sucks for us as fans.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I have all the facts, they just may not pertain to the topic at hand...

5. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers not Super without two stars

ESPN
    By Bill Williamson

With possible holdouts by San Diego offensive stars Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill on the horizon, I caught up with Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. to get his view of the situation.

Predictably, the astute Williamson believes if Jackson, a Pro Bowl receiver, and McNeill, a standout left tackle, stay away from the Chargers well into the regular season, it will severely hamper the team’s Super Bowl dreams.

“It would be crippling," Williamson said. "I still think the Chargers would have enough to win the AFC West, but they wouldn’t be a strong Super Bowl contender without these two guys. It’s early and a lot can happen, but if these two guys actually bypass their paychecks, the Chargers’ offense will be greatly affected.”

Williamson thinks Jackson is the team’s best receiving option.

“Tight end Antonio Gates is close, but Jackson is a stud," Williamson said. "He’s the go-to guy. Malcom Floyd is a good No.2, but Legedu Naanee would be a starter with Jackson out and I like Naanee as a No. 3 at best. They would have to hope Buster Davis can finally stay healthy and show something. But that may be a lot to ask for a guy who has never put it together.”

Williamson thinks options such as Tra Thomas (who is expected to sign Wednesday) and backup Brandyn Dombrowski would severely hamper the Chargers’ line.

"McNeill is a strong point on a line that isn’t that strong," Williamson said. "San Diego would suffer without him.”

Still, Williamson believes San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers could succeed without his blindside protector and his top receiver.

“Rivers is one of those rare guys. He makes people around him better," Williamson said. "He gets rid of the ball quickly and he doesn’t take many sacks. He finds his receivers fast. He’d be relying on Gates a lot, but he could get away with it. ... Still, overall, the Chargers are weaker without those two guys.”

6. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    VJ has been caught driving drunk TWICE. And then, on the day of a playoff game, he's driving without a license and has to be 'rescued' by his team mates in order to get to the game. Does this sound like a guy who has the clearest thought process?

And McNeil.... who knows. I sit and wonder if maybe I just don't understand the whole CBA thing and technicalities of the salary cap, etc. And, I will admit, I don't understand most of that stuff. But, sometimes it's really not that hard to figure out. And this is one of those times. You sign, play for 3 and a half mil and then sign a big contract later. Simple. You make lots of money and everything should be fine. This is like watching five year olds trying to do algebra. I wonder if these guys have ANY real reasoning ability at all. Have they been so babied and pampered all their young lives that they really are incapable of seeing a logical, good solution?

When you see all the stupid things these players do outside of football, you have to wonder if anything goes through those heads of theirs. I sometimes think what it would be like if we had a whole team full of the Philip Rivers type of mentality, work ethic and character.

7. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Interesting take in this article. And that's one of the biggest "WTFs" that I can see here..... these two guys are going to throw a huge monkey wrench into the Super Bowl aspirations of their whole team. Nice. Welcome back in November.... make sure nobody ties your laces together..... during the game.

I'm hoping that Dumbrowski (sp?) can really step it up and surprise everyone. He seems like the opposite of these two "me-me"s. He'll come in and give it his all for the team. Let's hope our other guys can step it up and go. Do we even want to see these guys come back in November?

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It is probably a little of both

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Maybe. Maybe not.

We don't have all the facts.

All I know is these two are being offered millions of dollars to play a game for a living and they're turning it down and are refusing to help the team because they want more money.

10. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    This.

11. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22