1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

CHARGERS: 'This is not fun': Bolts back to searching for answers after loss to Dolphi

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/10/06/sports/chargers/z9f9991b0592ff1b8882574d900754c08.txt

MIAMI ---- In the corridor beneath Dolphin Stadium, there are signs indicating the whereabouts of "Dark Room 1" and "Dark Room 2." Oddly, the Chargers walked past both locations and continued into a different room to shower and dress after Sunday's game.

One of the dark rooms would have been a more apt place to dwell in their disappointment because the Chargers were in the dark all afternoon in terms of how to deal with the Miami Dolphins, the worst team in the NFL just last season.

The label of laughingstock will no longer be associated with the Dolphins after they slapped a 17-10 loss on the Chargers before an announced crowd of 65,063. Miami (2-2) accumulated nearly twice as many yards and controlled the ball for nearly 37 minutes against a team regularly mentioned as one of the NFL's best.

But perhaps that tag should be removed, too. The Chargers (2-3) didn't look like an elite team in losing to the Dolphins, who ran roughshod over New England two weeks earlier in their most recent game.

"They beat two teams that were supposed to be two of the better teams in the conference," quarterback Philip Rivers said. "Whether that's the case still remains to be seen.

"It's certainly tough. Not that we didn't think that the Dolphins were capable, but this is one week that we expected to win. It was obvious they expected to win the way they came out and played. They whipped us."

Left tackle Marcus McNeill and tight end Antonio Gates both said the Dolphins were much more intense when the game began.

"Coach (Norv Turner) said it great ---- they came out like it was a playoff game," McNeill said.

Said Gates: "You can't take a win for granted. You can't take a team for granted. We don't play them every year and we played a team that wanted to win a football game, and it showed."

The Dolphins held the Chargers to 202 yards while piling up 390 of their own. Second-quarter touchdowns by Ronnie Brown (125 yards rushing) and former Charger Greg Camarillo (six receptions) gave Miami a 17-3 halftime lead.

The defeat left the Chargers two games behind Denver in the AFC West race. The Broncos defeated Tampa Bay on Sunday.

Think 2-3 is dismal? If not for a superb final quarter against Oakland seven days earlier, the Chargers would be sitting at 1-4.

"This is not fun," said running back LaDainian Tomlinson, who rushed for just 35 yards. "This is not the kind of football we want to play. We're inconsistent and we need to find some consistency with our football team."

The Chargers have been consistent in starting slow, and they kept that streak intact Sunday. Of course, they failed to ramp things up in the second half this time.

Despite the lethargy, the Chargers had a chance to tie the game on the first play of the fourth quarter. But a fourth-and-goal run by Tomlinson off the left side from the 1-yard line went nowhere, as several Dolphins ---- most noticeably Vonnie Holliday and Channing Crowder ---- stuffed the play and kept the score at 17-10.

"You have to have confidence to run that play," McNeill said. "Our coach had confidence to run that play, and we let him down. That's on us.

"When you have fourth-and-goal like that, you have to be wanting to punch it in.
    "

Miami certainly wanted things more all afternoon. The Dolphins answered Nate Kaeding's 34-yard first-quarter field goal with a 47-yarder by Dan Carpenter.

Then Chad Pennington (22-of-29, 228 yards) found Camarillo, who beat cornerback Quentin Jammer, on a 17-yard scoring pass to give Miami a 10-3 lead with 5:25 left in the first half.

The Chargers gave the ball back to the Dolphins just 64 seconds later, and Miami drove 79 yards in 11 plays, capped by Brown's 5-yard touchdown run to make it 17-3.

The Chargers cut the deficit in half when Rivers hit Chris Chambers on a 17-yard scoring pass with 3:13 left.

Chargers rookie Jacob Hester forced and recovered a fumble on the ensuing kickoff, but it was all for naught when Tomlinson was stuffed at the goal line.

The Chargers had the ball just two more times ---- twice giving the ball back to the Dolphins after four plays. The latter time occurred after they took over with 7:33 left and Rivers alerted the offense to the dire circumstances.

"We talked in the huddle and said ... 'This (is) it right here. We may not get another great opportunity, so we've got to go right now and score,' " Rivers said. "We didn't do it and we didn't get it back."

The Dolphins took over at their own 15 and killed the final 5:55 of the game with a 14-play, 60-yard drive that included four third-down conversions and ended with two kneel-downs by Pennington.

"We just have to play better and execute better," Rivers said. "Individuals, all of us, have got to step it up and play better. Collectively, we have got to go out there and get it done."

Contact staff writer Mike Sullivan at (760) 739-6645 or msullivan@nctimes.com.

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    CHARGERS: 'This is not fun': Bolts back to searching for answers after loss to Do

A lot of talk about confidence. I hope this team can stay focused and get it going right.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    CHARGERS: 'This is not fun': Bolts back to searching for answers after loss to Do

they aren't focused at all, that's been their problem

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172

What I took away from it, 'specially the parts you highlighted, is that the players are accepting responsibity for this loss, as they should, IMHO.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

Yup!

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

If have to strongly disagree. That very well could have been theor problem last week. Before that, maybe one or two defensive players had that problem.

However you do not become the highest scoring O in the league as they were before yesterday with no focus.

Get focused young friend! :icon_tease:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

It doesn't make me feel all happy that the players admitted fault because I believe its now been two weeks straight where they acted like idiots and failed to nut up and focus. You figured they had learnt this damn lesson from last year but obviously they didn't learn ****. And frankly I don't totally buy that this coaching staff is blameless

• Like Like x 2
  8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I still have yet to see the players prepared to start one game this season.

They appear to be undisiplined, uninspired and unemotional. Thats clearly lack of leadership and thats ALL falls on the head coach.

9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200

We've haven't been good at short yardage situations for years. As we have been lousy at stopping opposing teams from getting short yardage for the last few years. Either were light in the shorts and thats why our lines keep getting blown away. Or our blocking schemes aren't that good. Or our schemes to stuff opposing blocking schemes.

I don't want to be the first to say our lines aren't doing well. But you may hear a hint of that in my presentation of this post.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

You need to open your eyes more. They were not ready to play Monday night against the Jets?

C'mon Alan, we get your a passionate fan, but for pitty sake... If you were expecting perfection, you set yourself up.

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200

To be honest. And we've all seen it. The only thing that gets the chargers to play well is people and fans discrediting them. For some reason that seems the only way for the team to prick up its ears and play harder.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

True. Jets game wasn't like the other four.

If we were prepared to start the other 4, we would have had to dig our way out of a hole in the second half.
    Hell, we would probably be 5-0 right now if were were prepared to start.

Any more denial?

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

I think there is plenty more in you. So far you have ranted and raved because you are seimingly incapable of controling your frustrations where the team is involved.

Your first rant was run, run, run. punt. That was provent to be incorrect.

Then you talk about all the penalties. We are one of the least penalized teams in the league.

If things are not perfect you go into melt down mode, and start spewing hatred left and right. Fire Norv, everything is unacceptable, other fans are in denial. Get a grip already.

So educate me Alan. Do some research, get some facts to back your rants, and we can talk. Until then you are just acting like a spoiled three year old with a keyboard, and your better than that, IMO...

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264

Time for a "Players Only, let it all out" meeting.....:icon_sad:

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

The D had one and played better afterwards. In fact I thought they played better yesterday. The O let us down... :icon_sad:

16. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Agree.

17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

I agree T,

But,

Football is a game of preparation, emotion and motivation, and when those things are missing from the team as a whole, imo, is a direct reflection the people in charge of motivating. The coaches aren't there just to draw up the x's & o's.

no?

18. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984

Silly bastard! :lol:

Hasn't he been reading B4L's comments? NONE of this is on the players' inability to execute, it is "100% Norv's fault."

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

As I said "I still have yet to see the players prepared to start one game this season.

They appear to be undisiplined, uninspired and unemotional. Thats clearly lack of leadership and thats ALL falls on the head coach."

Tell me what part of that statement is untrue?
    (OK, you pointed out that they seemed prepared for the Jets game but they were completely unprepared to start the other four.)

You can't deny that we'd probably be 5-0 with a better coach. 4-1 at the very least.

20. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984

I don't think anyone is saying the coaches are blameless. Not being in the locker room, I have no way of knowing what is being said to players, how they are being prepared, etc. I'm sure they are part of the problem.

BUT, they are not 100% the problem as some people like to endlessly claim. It's pretty obvious watching the game that the players aren't doing their jobs on a consistent basis. Blaming the coaches is just excuse making, and I'm glad to see that at least some of the players aren't doing it.

21. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

You guys bash B4L all you want but you could put 4 Jim Otto's on that line, and they still don't score that TD when the other team knows exactly what/where/and when the other team was going to do.

:no:

• Like Like x 1
  22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172

Apparently, according to LT, that's their favorite play, and have been very successful with it. That it didn't work this particular time is more a case of poor execution ratehr than poor play calling.

23. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984

Yeah, highly paid professionals need to be yelled and screamed at to get them ready for a game. Guys who have been playing football from an early age, through high school and college, need to have their hands held prior to games.

Perhaps we need to hire this guy...

[​IMG]

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I get it... We should change our name to the "San Diego Norvs."

I'll tell you what... do some research and find out where he plays golf. That way you don't need your season tickets and you can cheer like crazy for Norv!!!
    Hey, he might even play tennis. So you can watch him compete alone even more.

This gives me an idea!!!!
    I'll challenge Norv to a game of chess and sell tickets to the whole BT forum for $80 a piece.
    Maybe he'll be interested in playing checkers, shuffle board, pool, etc. as well. I'll even make Norv t-shirts and sell them for $40 each!!!

Hell... I'll have myself an ocean front house in no time. Just for buddying up with Norv!!!
    So SL, how many tickets for the chess game can I put you down for?!!! :lol:

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Thank you!!!

Norv's play calling is predictable with a capital P!!!

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Awwww... the coach is highly paid too!!!
    Christ, you make it sound as if the coach is just a fan who makes millions just to watch the game from the sideline.
    If that were the situation... we'd ALL be looking to become a NFL head coach!!!

27. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748

I guess you missed the opening drive of the game.

28. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984

Jim Otto is 70, and has no right leg anymore. I am quite sure that you are correct in your assessment that having four Jim Ottos on the line wouldn't have helped. :lol:

29. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984

You have once again substituted hyperbole for actual intelligent response.

NOBODY is saying that NONE of this is Norv's fault. That would be just as stupid as saying ALL of it is Norv's fault.

30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

We didn't get in the endzone and scored a whole 7 point the rest of the day.

Predictable is Norv's middle name!!!