1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers tight end fries Chiefs for three TDs

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Oct 31, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Jun 29, 2009
    Source: <a href="http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/13039878.htm" target="_blank">Kansas City Star</a>

SAN DIEGO - After winning his tight-end matchup Sunday against Chiefs counterpart Tony Gonzalez, San Diego's Antonio Gates could have donned a title belt.

Gates passed on the chance. Turns out he's a little more modest than Washington running back Clinton Portis, who pulled the belt stunt after he had a monster game against Priest Holmes and the Chiefs while playing for Denver a couple of years ago.

Another big game for Gates in San Diego's 28-20 victory wasn't enough for him to claim triumph over Gonzalez. And a monster game it undoubtedly was: 10 catches for 145 yards and three touchdowns.

"I don't want to say that," Gates said. "Tony has definitely set a high standard at tight end, and he has done it year in and year out. This is just my third year, and I am up and coming. He has a situation where he is definitely a standout. He has been to (six) Pro Bowls.

"I need to get to (six) Pro Bowls in order for me to say that."

When the Chiefs get around to casting their Pro Bowl ballots late in the season, they won't be able to vote for Gonzalez. That being the case, Gates probably earned himself plenty of their votes on Sunday.

He burned the Chiefs for touchdowns of 19 and 20 yards in the first half. He caught a 35-yarder in the fourth quarter after breaking a tackle attempt by safety Sammy Knight.

"Most of the time, somebody was on him," Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said. "He just wins the battles physically, one on one. They do a great job of throwing him the ball with a variety of things they do."

Coverage responsibility much of the time fell to Knight, who was often in position but couldn't make enough plays.

"He's a big body," Knight said. "He made some tough catches. Other than the touchdown I let him get on the missed tackle, he had a couple of dinks and dunks here and there. He's going to get that because he's the focal point of that offense."

Gates, like Gonzalez, is a former college basketball star. At 6 feet 4 and 260 pounds, he has tight-end size but has the moves and athletic ability of someone much smaller.

"He's tough," Knight said. "It's been a while since I played a tight end like that. Even if you have him covered, he'll break the route off. He broke his route off on me a lot of different times, and you just have to adjust to that. As the game went on, I adjusted but missed a big tackle at the end.

"Next time we play him, I'll be ready."