1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers-Titans "The Comeback"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Dec 11, 2007.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x_KmC6m3OE4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x_KmC6m3OE4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Thanx Ray!! :icon_toast:

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Awesome Ray! Goodness I hope Rivers will be all right. We need that Bama boy in there.

4. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    thanx Ray... I shudda gave Norv a gameball for his play calling at the end of the 4th and OT... he needs to call MORE diverse/aggressive plays from here on out...

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The thing that impressd me was the poise of our players during the comeback. Every time the offense made a play on those last couple drives, no one celebrated. They just flipped the ball to the ref and ran back to the LOS, knowing that there was more work to be done.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    No way.

Save the aggressive plays (the ones he is holding back) for the playoffs.

I have a sneaking suspicion Uncle Norv has been sandbagging intentionally and then he will unleash his **** when the time is right.

The time ain't right. Not yet. Close but not yet.

7. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Awesome, thanks Ray!

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    :yes:

Norv diversifies his playbook when he needs to. But he's saving the hammer for the playoffs. When the hammer is unleashed, opponents are going to get focked up.

:abq2::abq1:

9. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    BS.... you need to execute them in REAL GAME conditions to see if you can against various defensive schemes... besides, the more you open the play book, the more the d-coord needs to account for them and is less likely to stack a defense... your bread and butter starts working better...

ps: I don't see NE holding out.... that flea-flicker went for 6... :yes:

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    You lose the element of "surprise" by flashing all your cards and just like a game of poker, you need to know when to hold and when to fold.

I do not think it is in the best interests of the team to show its entire playbook to the NFL to become proficient in a series of plays which may be used only once in the playoffs.

Again, I like the element of surprise versus dropping my laundry for the whole world to see my privates.:yes:

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Thanks Ray :abq2:

YouTube will probably take it down within a week, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Thanks Ray!!!

The Titans played as dirty as they could and had us down but in the end... WE TORE THEIR HEART OUT OF THEIR CHEST AND STOMPED ON IT!!!
    :bolt: :yes: :tup: :flag: :abq1: :abq2:

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Got to agree. All that vanilla crap in the exhibition games got us was a slow start and a piss poor attitude through most of the first half of the season. You win mostly by keeping the other guys off balance and if they can't scheme against something predictable they start off balance from the time of the first snap.

14. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    You don't have to roll out the whole play book, but it didn't appear until the last game that they were even using 3/4 of what was advertised in the build up to the season. Using a lot of plays and formations gives the other side a lot to prepare for and then even minor variations can cross them up. You can save a dozen or so things to pull out of the bag during the playoffs, but that's no time to start running stuff for the very first time as a matter of habit. Comes down to timing and execution and confidence in what you can do when things get tight. A good coach can have as many as twelve formations with ten or more plays off each formation. Even if you save only one or two plays off of a given formation, you still have at least a dozen and a half surprises.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Please, dude - not at dinner time!! :puke:

I'm not buying into the conspiracy theory here. :no:

16. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    anyway we could get a link to DL this? this is great!

17. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Sure enough, it's gone now :(

18. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I have to agree with SDRon on this one. You save stuff for the playoffs sure, but if you vary your offense it becomes that much harder to prepare for you. You can keep a number variations of plays and even formations in the dark, but not running them at all is asking for trouble. I think our slow start was in great part the fault of the coaching staff staying TOO Vanilla in the exhibish. We looked disorganized through the first fourth of the season. We started winning when we starting pulling the rabbits out of the hat. Against the Raiduhs, there won't be much call for it unless we get bush whacked, since we've clinched, but to have saved a whole offensive package just for the playoffs is asking for untimely breakdowns. We need to be on our game, playing instinctively and not thinking about a lot of new stuff. Besides, if Norval is running the Corryell passing tree, then the surprises are part and parcel of the offense. Everybody knew what Fouts was doing, but nobody could really ever handle it.

• Like Like x 1