1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers to consider deals for LT, Sproles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Feb 10, 2009.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/feb/10/1s10chargers005336-chargers-consider-deals-lt-spro/?uniontrib

Resolution likely at next week's Combine
    By Kevin Acee
    Union-Tribune Staff Writer

2:00 a.m. February 10, 2009

A renegotiated contract for LaDainian Tomlinson and possible franchise tag for Darren Sproles are among the topics the Chargers'decision-makers are mulling this week.

The team's brass has essentially just begun the process of deciding the parameters of a new deal for Tomlinson and how to proceed with Sproles.

Almost everything else of consequence that will take place this offseason piggybacks off the decisions regarding the two running backs.

Tomlinson is due to make $6.725 million in 2009 with a cap number of $8.8 million. With numerous other players to try to sign to long-term deals, the team cannot afford to keep Tomlinson at that price.

The Tomlinson situation likely will come to a resolution at the NFL Scouting Combine, which begins next week in Indianapolis. There, the team and Tomlinson's agent will be able to have face-to-face discussion on a restructured deal.

That is also likely the first time the team will have in-depth talks with Sproles' agent about a long-term contract. Sproles has said he would like to remain a Charger but will at least test the free-agent market.

The team also is considering putting the franchise tag on Sproles, which would guarantee him $6.62 million in 2009 and would, depending on whether the team places the exclusive or non-exclusive tag on him, prevent him from negotiating with other teams or give the Chargers two first-round draft picks if he signs with another team.

It is not believed a team would pony up two first-round picks to sign Sproles, so a franchise tag virtually assures Sproles will be a Charger in '09.

The decision on whether to apply the franchise tag must be made by Feb. 19.

Yesterday was the first day for NFL teams to release players, and no one got axed at Chargers Park.

Coaches, personnel and other members of the front office have submitted their evaluations to Smith, who will meet with the media Feb. 26 and announce, among other things, players who have been released.

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I find it difficult to believe that this dood as inside information on our Bolts.

Especially since AJ doesn't seem to talk to the media much.

Well, unless it's to mock LT

3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    So let me get this straight, the team cant afford to keep LT at 6+Mil, yet it is considering giving Sproles 6+mil??

Wow, no wonder our FO is considered just a joke

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I think most "insiders" are a joke.

But... that's just me.

Or is it?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    LT is nearing the end of his career, Sproles has several years left.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Sproles is worth 6+ million? I don't think he it!

7. Golfboy

Golfboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    That's what I thought. $6.6 mil for Sproles? NO WAY.
    I have serious doubts about this story, there is no way anyone would seriously consider franchising him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I don't know what the going market rate is for a guy with his skill set. I guess we'll find out shortly, as somebody will be writing him a check.

9. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I'm in favor of franchising Sproles....For a couple of years we had bigger tags on our team with Brees and a top 5 contract for Rivers....Sproles does a lot for this team and is a devastating field position weapon for KR and PR. We need to think 2009 and winning the superbowl. The opportunity IS still there for us...we need both LT and Sproles...a good draft and a healthy lights out to do it.

While Sproles is a great change up/ 3rd down/ ST weapon...any team that offers him starter money is flat crazy and I seriously doubt it happens....He won't last 8 games without getting hurt...maybe seriously as an every down back...and you just can't pay a role player that money. He's an undersized Reggie Bush....and after 3 years of watching Reggie in the NFL, no one is going to make him a full time load type of running back.

• Like Like x 1
  10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Even if LT cuts his salary in half we're still talking like $10+ million for two RBs? I just can't see it. :no:

11. Bolts 74'

Bolts 74' BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    If we would have keep Turner last year we wouldn't be having this discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  12. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I think we've learned the lesson of loosing a player thats good. Welker, and not getting polamalu. Sproles has proven hes' good. Yah keep him

Don't know what they should do with LT. But we could play well with out him if it came to that and they kept sproles.

Alot of dreamy fans will be upset. But thats just crazy fans for you. They aren't looking at the big picture.

The nfl is the not for long league. Things will change. The loyalty is put to the test of putting the best team on the field. Hard choices have to be made.

I think LT will still be with the chargers next year. But I pray sproles is as well. Very hard to find dangerous weapons.

This offseason is about the salary cap and landing a better d-end/d-tackle, saftey, o-lineman, and hanging onto sproles.

13. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    How about $10+ million for a RB tandem, a third down back, a punt returner, and a kickoff returner?

14. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    That is definitely a more positive spin. But if we're going to look at the bigger picture I have to consider the following...

Cro is completely capable of being a dynamite return man. And considering the drop off in his play this year I don't see any reason not to put him out there to run them back... not like he's our best CB.

Not to mention that I'd rather have healthy LT on 3rd down than Sproles. And if we're talking about Sproles as being a dynamic multi-position guy then you may as well add Hester's salary to the pool. Of course he's very different from Sproles, but he's just another RB/FB that is going to see time at three or four different positions.

So how many millions are we up to for a RB, a scat-back, and an H-back?

15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Acee was the one who said back in August that Merriman was gone after this 2009 season.

16. Burley

Burley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    What does Devin Hester make? I know he's not a RB but he's the closest thing to Sproles skill set I can think of.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    That's what it is, a positive spin

If LT doesn't cut his salary then your going with 14million (highest running back tandem I think ever) and if LT does cut his salary how can you then justify spending that much on Sproles (who is very specialized) when people like Merriman/Rivers/Jackson/McNeil/etc need to be signed and signed ASAP.

Unfortunately this year we are seriously under the guillotine for cap space. Too many important contracts, too many more important players, too little room. Sproles should be made a respectable offer but if he wants to go try and break the bank (and I don't blame him for it) then good luck and see ya.

How many records has Hester set? Oh and since he's been converted to an almost fulltime WR, how many KO/PR TDs has he had?

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Stupid AJ should have learned after releasing Neil. We should have kept him here and let him start. If he wasn't getting the job done, then pull him. Releasing LT is even dumber. Especially if you're going to pay Sproles that kind of money.

I like Sproles and want him to stay but he is NOT worth that kind of money. That was proven against the Steelers!

19. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Norv doesn't put as much weight on a FB like Marty did...That is why Lo Neal is gone... Keep um both says TBF... LT will take the SD discount.

• Like Like x 1
  20. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    "BOLTS4LIFE Stupid AJ should have learned after releasing Neil. We should have kept him here and let him start. If he wasn't getting the job done, then pull him. Releasing LT is even dumber. Especially if you're going to pay Sproles that kind of money."

Neal asked to be let go! He did not want to play a reduced role and asked out. Which is what he wants.........well gets it.

LONEAL wanted out and he later siad he regretted the way things happened.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Read the full post before you post a stupid response.
    As I said "We should have kept him here and let him start. If he wasn't getting the job done, then pull him."

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I agree but you can't pay Sproles LT's salary and expect LT to take the cut.

23. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Here's what I think will happen, LT will take a cut to stay a charger for many reasons that I won't mention here [don't feel like typing that much] and Sproles will get the E tag on him. :icon_shrug:

24. Jolt

Jolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    he
    asked
    for
    his
    release.
    he
    didn't
    want
    to
    play
    here.

writers are bored and have nothing else to write about so they write big fuking duh articles.

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    You have a nice voice! :tup:

26. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=438945
    Ummm, NO!! :no:

27. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    He was an unrestricted free agent, and he wanted to get paid AND be the featured back. There was no way we were keeping Turner unless we cut LT.

28. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Yeah, AJ sure is stupid for granting a release to a guy who being phased out in the offense and asked for his release.

I don't know if Sproles is worth it or not, but LOTS of running backs look bad against the Steelers. They do have the #1 defense in the NFL after all.

29. floridaboltfan

floridaboltfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Personally I think LT will reduce his salary. Then they have to let sproles go. He's good but not worth the money it will take to keep him. They then have options in the draft, Moreno from Georgia is a beast and Wells could be great from OSU or we could replace sproles with Percy Harvin who has more talent then anyone in the draft.

30. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    By that same token, ALOT of RBs look good against the bronocs and Colts