1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers to Decline Suitors

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltzRule, Dec 6, 2006.

1. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The rest:

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/articles/2006/12/06/this_just_in/120suitors.txt

Hopefully this wasn't already posted.

2. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054

You CAN'T have them!!! :icon_twisted: :icon_mad:

I am glad to hear they are going to make an effort to stay in SD...but that requires cooperation from cities and public officials...still I am hoping for the best...

• Like Like x 1
  3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Me too...really!! :tup: :icon_toast:

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Something that is amazingly difficult these days.

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Y'all havin trouble gettin it done at Cal, and the 9ers are bailin :icon_eek: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :tdown:

6. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    CA is a mess as a whole.

The team is smart in that a Super Bowl Champion is about as appealing as it gets.

We'll get something done. HERE.

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm thinking and hoping that when the 2006 NFL season comes to an end, there will be more progress.
    It's not too likely that they will look for a new site during the playoffs.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

That's pretty much what happened in Denver.
    At first they said "no way" in regards to a new stadium but after two Super Bowl wins, that changed everything.

9. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Fingers Crossed!

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    If anyone believes the Chargers are going to announce they are talking with other cities even though they say they are not need counseling.

11. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    I try not to go the sports bars in SLC becasue they are full of Donkey fans... Soo, this Sunday, I'll definitely stay home...

I need to see if there are Chargers fans that ever hook up (publicly) to watch the games in SLC...

Maybe we can start some kind of networking thing... I might be half serious about this... :icon_shrug:

12. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054

Me too....:icon_wink:

wth happened to the smileys? They're rearranged! :no: :icon_mad:

13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    That's the Wabbit keepin us on our toes :icon_sad: :unsure: :icon_cry:

14. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054

I want winky back on the first page....or....something really bad...:icon_twisted: :icon_eek: :icon_mad: You don't even wanna know...

15. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054

I also kind of believe this...but really really hope something can be worked out to keep them here...an 11th hour reprieve...

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    It took a Joint Powers Authority to build Jack Murphy. It will take another one to get it done again.

Denver had to do the same thing to pool outlying resources to get it done.

It was proposed a few months ago and short of this happening, all the talk with the cities is just bullshiit to make the Chargers team appear to be doing their due diligence.

I hate to say it but we are being conned into thinking something special is brewing on the horizon with respect to the team staying.

17. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054

I'm still holding out some hope for something good to happen...that's just how I approach life....and maybe we will get a nice surprise...it's not quite over yet.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I approach life the same way but in this one instance, I just do not see the pieces of the puzzle coming together.

National City on the waterfront would be too encumbered (Port Authority, Coastal Commission, Army Corps of Engineers) and that is just for starters to get a clear title and the green light to build.

Chula Vista is private land and is easier to develop and less encumbered because it is privately owned by a bank/development corp. but it is Chula Vista ........

All of this will need a Joint Powers Authority to pull it off because no city by itself can do it.

It will take the collective efforts of the County to be involved just like it was when the Murph was built back in the day. This should have already been formed and done because time is money and January 1st looms larger than most realize.

19. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Sometimes you just have to hope against hope and see what happens....;)

20. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    For me the only hope was if the airport moved to Miramar, then the old airport could possibly be developed into a stadium location. That is not going to happen.

Las Vegas Chargers is my prediction.

But it will rip my guts out if it happens. I am just so depressed at how short sighted and fiscally inept California politicians are. If they hadn't run their pension system into the ground we wouldn't be in such a loser position on the stadium and could afford such a public "perk".

A world class stadium in San Diego would mean Super Bowls every 3-5 years and smart business people have to be able to parlay that in good returns for the city/county and local business. Big problem is a football only stadium is used so rarely. How many monster truck rallies can you hold?

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,879
    The Carolina Chargers sounds pretty good and Raleigh is the home of the championship Hurricanes.:bolt: :icon_tease:

22. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Having a Superbowl champion could be a double-edged sword... Strong motiviation for the city/county to get their act together, but also strong motivation for vulture cities to sweeten the pot.

All of it just bums me out.

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Well remember what I said about National City ?

Check this out in today's paper ........

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061207-9999-7m7chargers.html

Regulatory issues clouding prospect

National City told plan faces hurdles

By Ronald W. Powell
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    December 7, 2006

Environmental issues and an old land-use agreement are threatening to derail National City's proposal for a Chargers stadium at the same time team executives are saying they will not exercise their right to hold relocation talks with cities outside the county after Jan. 1.

Although the team can talk to any U.S. city about moving beginning New Year's Day, Mark Fabiani, the team's attorney and spokesman, has for weeks been telling business and civic leaders across the county that the team will spurn other offers and focus on a stadium deal in either National City or Chula Vista. He made the same statement this week at a South County Economic Development Council meeting.

Fabiani would not say how long the team will wait before talking to cities outside the county because it would not be fair to National City or Chula Vista.

“We've been working on this for four years and still haven't found a solution,” he said of the stadium search. “So we're not inclined to put an artificial deadline on them. We know how hard it is.”

Meanwhile, regulators from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the state Coastal Commission recently told National City officials their stadium plan faces numerous environmental and land-use hurdles. The concerns further complicate the prospects for a stadium near the city's bayfront that could cost as much as $1 billion to develop.

The 67-acre site is west of Interstate 5 and south of Bay Marina Drive. It is next to the Sweetwater Marsh National Wildlife Refuge and other sensitive habitat where endangered least terns and clapper rails nest or visit.

If a stadium plan for the site goes forward, the Fish and Wildlife Service will review it to make sure wildlife are not harmed, said Andrew Yuen of the San Diego National Wildlife Refuge Complex, an arm of the service.

The site includes about 22 acres owned by the San Diego Unified Port District that were part of a deal to offset a hotel development in downtown San Diego. Under an agreement in 2001 with the state Coastal Commission, the port bought the National City property and restricted its use to maritime-industrial purposes. The designation allowed the port to plan a hotel at the old Campbell Industries Shipyards, adjacent to the San Diego Convention Center.

“We told them that we had fairly significant concerns about changing the land use there to anything different than maritime-related industrial use,” said Diana Lilly, a Coastal Commission planner.

Lilly said the state Lands Commission would have to approve any change in the use of the site.

Additional approvals would be needed from the Coastal Commission, including assurances that a stadium would not adversely affect existing maritime uses in the area, particularly at the nearby 24th Street Marine Terminal and a string of businesses on the property that depend on it.

The Chargers are studying how much it would cost to build freeway on-ramps and off-ramps, realign trolley tracks and build five parking garages, as well as other improvements. They may also need to consider the costs of environmental modifications and relocating existing businesses.

“We're still focused on the cost of infrastructure improvements to make the land suitable for a stadium and port maritime uses,” Fabiani said. “If the (additional) costs are too high, then I guess the discussion begins and ends there.”

Chris Zapata, National City's city manager, said he is not discouraged by the meetings with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Coastal Commission. He said he will continue to seek help from other cities, county government and the business community to craft a workable stadium plan if the city's taxpayers want it.

24. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Question. where did all the pension money disappear to. I'd have to quess but san diego must have a great tax base to take money from.

25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I don't mean to sound like a kill joy but just count the different number of Commissions, Authorities and Organizations in this article.

When a builder has a mountain of emcumbrances on title for construction, it adds YEARS to a project. This could take a decade to even fast track.

I do not think the Chargers will wait a decade to jump through the hoops because time is money and the old man is almost dead.

27. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    which leads to the thought of how fast anehiem will be able to run through the hoops and land the new stadium deal.

Here's a question. Could the chargers still stay in san diego at their facility there and play their games in the new stadium.

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    By my reads, Anaheim has all their ducks in a row as far as environmental impact reports so the lag time is nil.

The Chargers do have a lease agreement with the city through 2020 (iirc) so they can play at the Murph for as long as a new stadium is being built.