1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers To Do List

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Team checklist: San Diego Chargers
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 30, 2011, 7:37 PM EDT

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune gave us a nice headstart for our post-lockout to do list the other day, so we’ll try to keep this short.

The Chargers have the best quarterback in the division (by far) a promising rookie class. A few smart free agent moves should have them in Super Bowl contention.

1. Bring back Eric Weddle.

The Chargers don’t seem that interested in making this happen, and we expect Weddle to leave. That doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. Weddle helped make the Chargers cornerbacks better than they are. You need a safety that can cover and we’re not sure who will replace Weddle. Perhaps they’ll move rookie Marcus Gilchrist there.

2. Add a wideout.

Malcom Floyd and Legedu Naanee are expected to leave. That’s more than 1,000 yards of production out of the window. We’re not sure Seji Ajirotutu, Patrick Crayton, or rookie Vincent Brown qualify as No. 2 receivers.

Trading for Steve Smith would be a lot of fun. While the Chargers don’t dip into the free agent pool much, they have traded for veteran wideouts before like Crayton and Chris Chambers.

3. Add a right tackle.

It sounds like the team wants to bring back Jeromy Clary, which should be easy enough to do.

4. Bring back Billy Volek.

Acee says the Chargers want Volek as their backup, and we doubt they’ll face huge competition for his services.

5. Sign inside linebacker depth.

The Chargers are expecting big things from rookie Jonas Mouton (more on that in a minute), but this group is still thin. Acee indicates the team wants to bring back Kevin Burnett. Perhaps they could do even better.

6. Get the rookies up to speed fast.

After years of questionable quality over quantity early in drafts, the Chargers had five of the top 89 picks of the draft. They could be counting a lot on Mouton, Gilchrist, and first round pick Corey Liuget. We like the draft haul a lot but it’s unrealistic to expect everyone to seamlessly step in as starters.

7. Convince the team it’s already November.

The whole slow start to the season trend is no longer cute. Norv Turner and the Chargers are wasting Philip Rivers‘ prime with bad losses early in the year. Avoiding a slow start this year will be tougher because the defense has to learn under a new coordinator — Greg Manusky.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Weddle can waddle on outta here for my part.

3. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Respectfully disagree. He's not a superstar by any measure but he was a key part of a secondary that played really well last year. That said, the D coordinator is changing. So the chemistry that made it work last year might be disrupted anyways.

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    You keep saying that.

5. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Or, he could up his game with the new D coordinator and be a probowlin' mo'fo for the next 3 years...

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    6. Get the rookies up to speed fast.

I guess this is how we are going to improve our special teams?

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I believe that's the plan....... they don't want to have to bring in a bunch of old vets to plug holes, like last year.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    There is only one #1 and that should be win the fawking Lombardi. I don't care if they cheat just get the damn thing, everything else is secondary, JMHO.

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I'm all for re-signing Weddle provided the deal is fair (and I'm talking pay commensurate to what his play has earned, not AJ's "everyone takes one for the team" version of fairness), but paying the man in the realms of Ed Reed and Adrian Wilson is wrong - his play isn't on par with those likes, he's not as dynamic, and shouldn't be compensated as such even with standard annual inflation taken into consideration.

Speaking to the additional WR... I have to seriously ask WTF our dear author is talking about? Perhaps a depth addition could be had, or if Steve Smith were to agree to re-do his contract and come on the cheap in terms of compensation given to Carolina (spending a 3rd on him is ridiculous), but Crayton did just fine as a #2 and often times a #1 WR for this offense last season... and that was with the offense lacking the freak athlete that is Vincent Jackson (and Gates for a number of games as well). If the team really wants to go "all-in" for a title run then I can see investing in a guy who is more dynamic than either of the guys we're likely to lose, bu that's never been the forte of this team or Joiner, so I say run with what's brought ya.

The thought of Clary back as the starter sends a chill up my spine, but it's a likely outcome. This team will just keep making excuses for him until he gets someone killed. Whatever signing bonus he does get he ought to fork over half to McNiell because it was his holdout that saved Clary from having to go through open competition in camp last year with Dombo for his position.

I wonder who the author is referring to as a "better" option than Kevin Burnett. Paul Posluszny maybe (pretty sure he may still be a natural RFA though), but God I hope he's not thinking of Barrett "Marshmallow Soft" Ruud. One other area that I think keeps getting overlooked but is in definite need of a depth signing is Center; Mruczkowski is a full-out UFA and is no guarantee to re-sign, but we have nothing short of our long-snapper behind Hardwick, and it's not like Nick hasn't had his run-ins with the injury bug in the recent past.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I have a feeling that Weddle is going to want the type of money paid to safeties close to "elite" status. He's not in that class & never will be. Sure, he's a pretty tough guy, blue-collar if you will, but he's not someone that I would tie a lot of money/years up with. Of course, AJ has to defend his draft move to get Weddle so he may well get his bank in San Diego. I just can't get on board with it if he is offered elite money for his position.

As for Clary .... he may not look pretty, his skills are not by any stretch elite for his position, but he consistently ranks well statistically along this OL. So is that saying that he's better than many give him credit for or that our OL, as individuals at their positions, are pretty poor? Can't have it both ways ...

As for a better option than Burnett, if the author has one then man up & list his thoughts. Otherwise, it's just the vapid ruminations of yet another "expert".

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Pretty much agree on almost all points (how's that for non-decisive? ha!).

And the thing is, I don't doubt that there are enough teams who are in need of safety upgrades (after a draft that wasn't really chock full of high-end talent at the position) to improve their woeful secondaries that someone will likely dangle that "elite" contract in front of Eric. And I'm not as optimistic about him pulling a Dielman and taking less money to stay in San Diego where he's viewed as a leader.

Clary just doesn't have it upstairs, or at least when I watch him play it seems like it; the guy just makes way too many mental mistakes. The pairing of him and Vasquez just doesn't seem to work well together. When Goff was here and we had that veteran presence who understood when to lay off a defender to another on the line, how to set up a defender to make him a non-factor... Vasquez hasn't developed that yet and his not having that ability on the interior has exposes Clary's weaknesses such as being slow off the snap.

My deal with Clary is that I hate the idea of the team not looking to improve over him; keeping him is fine (he's valuable as a spot-starter, an injury-fill, and probably even as a guard in a pinch), viewing him as the long-term solution at the position is just something I can't get on board with.