1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers to draft Ray McDonald?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Chargers interested in powerful defensive end
    By Michael Lombardo
    SDBoltReport.com
    Posted Apr 24, 2007

The Chargers run an aggressive brand of 3-4 defense, in which the linemen are allowed to get after the quarterback as opposed to merely occupying blockers. Unfortunately, the only lineman on the roster who poses a serious pass-rushing threat is Luis Castillo. Looking to rectify that, the team met earlier this offseason with a defensive end who boasts rare combination of size and rushing ability.

During Senior Bowl week, Chargers officials visited with Ray McDonald (6-foot-3, 276 lbs.), a defensive end from the University of Florida. His four-year numbers include 137 total tackles, 25.5 tackles for a loss and 11 sacks.

Those numbers would have been even better had McDonald been able to stay healthy. He battled through two serious knee injuries during his career, one of which cost him most of the 2005 season. He stayed healthy during his senior season, though, and helped lead the Gators to a National Championship.

"Going through all those injuries, it was real stressful going into the (2006) season. I didn't really know if I was going to be able to play the whole season, but I did and I played pretty good. I guess I'm considered one of the top guys going into the draft and I'm really thankful and blessed for that," McDonald said.

McDonald has the skills to be a terrific defensive end in a 3-4 scheme. He is strong at the point of attack and a sure tackler, the result of playing two seasons at defensive tackle. Additionally, he does a good job of using his hands to keep blockers off his body.

As a pass-rusher, he is explosive and adept at anticipating the snap, allowing him to use his quick first step to knife into the backfield.

"I hope to prove that I’m one of the top defensive players in the country and that I deserve to be up there on one of those high levels," he said. "I feel like I can stop the run and rush the passer."

There are several teams intrigued by McDonald's potential as a two-way defender. During Senior Bowl week alone, he met with the San Diego Chargers, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Atlanta Falcons, New York Jets, Jacksonville Jaguars and Houston Texans.

In San Diego, McDonald would immediately take over as the team's third defensive end. That role is currently held by Jacques Cesaire, who was underwhelming in that role last season. McDonald and Derreck Robinson would give the team a pair of young, ascending players capable of contributing quality snaps off the bench.

McDonald is currently projected to be a second- or third-round pick. If he remains on the board at the end of day one, the Chargers will very tempted to pull the trigger.

LINK

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    idk about that
    I still think we're fine with Jacques Cesaire and Derrick Robinson
    To be honest i"d take ryan mcbean out of OK State over McDonald

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    McBean? He has some natural talent, but IMO he needs to bulk up a bit and play more consistantly. He doesn't seem to play towards the ball. Bad instincts. A raw talent to be sure, but he's a project.

Taking McDonald over McBean would be a nobrainer. If we could get him with one of our third round picks, that would be a great pick. I suspect he'll be gone late second or early third. If McDonald is still on the board when we pick in the third, I don't see why we wouldn't take him.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    We've interviewed 51 guys, theres a whole article on almost every one of them. I dont think this guy has anymore chance then anyone else.

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Hey, don't rain on my parade. I think you're right though. We're not going to take him in the second and he most likely won't be there when we pick in the third.

6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Your on board for a D-line draft in round 2 though?
    I would think you'd like to see our bigger holes get filled before we start drafting security players?

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    No, I don't know where your getting that. I'd like McDonald if we can get him with our third. Possible, but not likely. Ideally I'd like to address safety and WR in the first and second rounds.

Even the last sentence in the article says, "If he remains on the board at the end of day one, the Chargers will very tempted to pull the trigger." End of day one is round three.

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah he'd be a steal with 93 or 96.

9. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    That would be great as he could challenge Igor for a starting spot. In the first round look for Kansas City to draft Justin Harrell and New Orleans to draft Eric Wright. I wouldn't spend the 62 selection on McDonald but definitely the 93 or 96.

10. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    That's what I'm talkin' about. You never know. I've seen player slip. If he's available at 93, I'd hope AJ is all over that pick.

11. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    McDonald...McBean....how bout McNugget? Sounds like you guys are talking about McDonald's menu.

12. LightningStrikes

LightningStrikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Sound like you're hungry. :icon_tease:

13. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86

14. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383

15. PressLevel@theQ

PressLevel@theQ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2

1st Round- Robert Meachem, Sydney Rice, or Steve Smith (basically best available WR)
    2nd Round- Mcdonald
    3rd Round (93)- Weddle, Piscatelli, or Wendling (basically best available S)
    3rd Round (96)- Michael Bush

BTW- Luis 2006, only 10 games
    Jacques 2006- 4 sacks
    Igor, 43 career games, 5.5 career sacks
    You don't think that's a hole?

• Like Like x 1
  16. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133

17. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Would McDonald project to a 3-4 DE or OLB ??? He's kind of in between the weight requirements for each position.

18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Cesaire should not be on my team. That dude is not worthy to bring it. While I am at it, he and Shane Olivea need to get the hell off my field before I start launching the urine bombs.

Field me a monster D-line (Igor needs to pick it up or else) and some quality depth behind Jamal and another SS and rock on.

Derrick Robinson is definately a keeper. Dude is a force and looks athletic and not like a fuggin fat slob chasing a paycheck.

19. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    I like Robinson also :yes: :tup:

20. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

21. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings: