1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers to extend Lights out?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BLITZED56, Feb 4, 2009.

1. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I know Prisco's a giant douche but does he know something that Acee doesn't? Or is this just pure speculation on his part? :icon_shrug:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11339510

How does the L.T. saga play out in San Diego?

That one could get ugly. There is definitely some nastiness between LaDainian Tomlinson and general manager A.J. Smith, who crossed the line when he mocked L.T.'s statement about returning to the team.

That was low. L.T. was said to be bitter about it.

The Chargers might ask Tomlinson to take a pay cut after his disappointing season in 2008. At 30, he doesn't have the same burst and injuries have limited him in the playoffs the past two seasons.

He has three years left on his contract. He is scheduled to make $6.725 million in salary this season and has a cap number of $8.79 million. The Chargers are trying to extend quarterback Philip Rivers and linebacker Shawne Merriman to long-term deals. That's why L.T. might be asked to take a cut.

Could the Chargers actually do the unthinkable and cut the face of the franchise?

I doubt it. But if he's unreasonable, could you blame them?

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    make it happen AJ
    Extend Rivers and Merriman

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Rivers and Merriman are the two most important captains, the real faces of the franchise.

If AJ has to he will sacrifce players like Chris Chambers and Vincent Jackson to keep them here. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Merriman & PR are the future of this team. LT, at 30, is not. That's the reality of the situation. I hate not to see LT in a chargers uni, but all things pass.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Like a kidney stone? :icon_eek: :lol:

6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I think AJs gonna draft Brian Cushing or another OLB @ #16

eom

• Like Like x 1
  7. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    As we all know Pro football is a business first then a Top notch sports team.

The only way to satisfy both objectives is to sign Philip Rivers, Shawn Merriman, and LT. This is a “no brainier” from a business perspective!

AJ…make it happen!

8. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
    I'd rather have Rey Maualuga @ 16 to play next to Coop. With a healthy Merriman there pretty strong at OLB. Plus Cushing's only 240, doesn’t the 34 require big OLB's (i.e. Merriman 272, Phillips 260)?

9. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    But but but, Acee said he wont!!!

All i have to say is that Merriman BETTER get extended, too bad AJ had to give Tucker $15Mil BEFORE realizing that hes no Merriman

10. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    My guess is he's speculating. And he probably doesn't have the same sources in the organization that Acee does.

And Rip, SERIOUSLY, they didn't give Tucker very much money for God's sake. Barely any of it is guaranteed, and no one expected him to take over for Merriman.

11. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Im sorry, but 7mil guaranteed for a guy who never started a game, had only played in 6 games (0 starts) and collected all his stats for the season in 1 game against the worst team in the NFL.

As for him not replacing Merriman
    "Tucker's extension could give further credence to the idea Shawne Merriman will not be a Charger after his contract expires following the 2009 season. "

“He may be a backup right now,” Smith said of Tucker. “He may be a starter very soon.”

AJ supposedly saw something in this guy after his one game and threw a boatload of money at him, FOR NO REASON! He was an UDFA, and we basically owned his rights for 3 more seasons at league min, why not wait it out and see if he builds on that one game?? wait one year, what would be the worst that could happen?

• Like Like x 1
  12. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    It was only his 2nd year, the guy can improve you know. He's not Merriman but he has the ability to be a quality pass rusher.

13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    and it was only 6.5 mil!!!

:lol:

14. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
    True, but Rip does have a good point. Why grantee him anything when you have him locked up at a minimum salary for the next three years? At least wait and see how he performs in Merriman’s absence. Especially with so many contracts that need to be extended to proven players.

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    maybe he only had a 1 yr contract??

16. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Since he's my 2008 adopted boltbebe :)

I have a feeling they saw something in him during practices as well as in games that made them believe he had potential worth hanging on to. After the hammy injury in the 1st Oakland game I don't think he ever really got back up to speed, plus they didn't shell out an unreasonable guaranteed amount of money for the guy considering he was insurance for the loss of Merriman. We'll know more after next season - hopefully good things :yes:

17. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
    Can't remember how it works but, if not mistaken as an UFA they retain his rights for 4-5 years at a minimal salary. Being that he only had one year under his belt they had him locked up for peanuts. So why guarantee him 6.5 million after six games when he was making under $500,000 a year?

18. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Just like everybody else on our defense Tucker will be a superstar with a healthy Merriman wreaking havoc on the field.

19. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    True but he knew he was going to be the starter for the season and obviously he viewed some talent in him, what happens if he puts up 13 sacks or something like that last season, then he'll cost a lot more to re-sign.

It's one of those in the long run if it works out it's a great deal, if it doesn't he ends up giving him slightly more than he would have normally if he kept him for 5 years.

It isn't foolproof obviously, for every Cooper you get a Wilhelm, or for every Hardwick you get an Olivea etc. They may seem like a lot now but in the long run it could end up looking like a great deal.

Plus if AJ wanted to he could cut guys like Wilhelm/Hart or Tucker (although it's too soon to cut him imo) and it wouldn't be a big cap hit.

People act like these are mega deals that we're handing out but it's not even close. Merriman's signing bonus alone would dwarf Tucker's contract.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I think AJ will be busy this off-season and do some spring cleaning of the roster, which I hope doesn't include LT. He'll re-sign those he believes give the club the best opportunity to win. I don't see how Merriman cannot be in AJ's future plans.:bolt:

21. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Serously. It makes sense. And they can't loose sproles. We need one very quick fast back to go along with the other backs. Especially if LT leaves or is traded.

It is so apparent now we need merriman and we all know we need Rivers. Plus we need another super stud d-lineman so teams can't just key off on merriman. Where o where is that player. Need a reggie white type. I still like the idea of peppers. I think he still has some gas in his tank.

22. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Yes :yes:and Yes.:yes: I just don't think we'll sign Peppers since AJ shys away from "Big Name" FA's...:icon_sad: (although he should consider it....imagine Peppers and Merriman hunting down QBs......)

23. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    After watching Peppers pick off Cutler today in the pro-bowl I took a nap and dreamed of him as a Bolt and making Cutlet cry. True story. :yes: :lol:

• Like Like x 1