1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers to face Brees for first time

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nflinlondon&prov=ap&type=lgns

LONDON (AP)—As the Chargers prepare to face Drew Brees for the first time since he left San Diego for the New Orleans Saints, one player in particular is looking forward to seeing his former teammate on the opposite side of the field.

Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips, who played with Brees at Purdue and again in San Diego, has a special greeting in mind for the Saints quarterback when the two teams play the second regular-season NFL game in London on Sunday.

“I always use to joke around by saying, ‘I’m going to get a hit on you one day,”’ Phillips said. “This is going to be the first time that I get an opportunity to get a chance to hit him. Hopefully, I’ll get a chance and if I do he’ll definitely know about it.”

But while the Chargers obviously want to do their best to spoil his Sunday at Wembley Stadium, many of Brees’ former teammates will be happy to see him again.

“I’m excited,” Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson said Monday, shortly after the team arrived in England. “Obviously I’m not excited about competing against him because he’s a heck of a competitor and quarterback.”

The Chargers last played the Saints in 2004, and Brees led San Diego to a 43-17 win with four touchdown passes.

“I’d by lying if I told you it was just any other game,” said Brees, who joined the Saints as a free agent in 2006. “But certainly I’m not blowing it out of proportion, and I’m not putting any added pressure on myself or my team.

“I still know a lot of those players. I’m friends with a lot of those players. But the fact is, I knew this day would come and I’m just looking forward to the opportunity to play against the old team.”

With Saints running back Reggie Bush out injured, and Tomlinson not at his best for the Chargers, the big matchup this weekend will be between the quarterbacks.

“We’re not playing one another, but certainly having been on the same team and obviously he meant a great deal to the Chargers when he was here,” said Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, Brees’ former backup. “I know he’ll be looking forward to the game. It’ll be fun.”

Despite the budding rivalry, Rivers said he and his mentor had an amiable relationship when they were teammates.

“We had a handful of golf matches off the field, but as far as the quarterback room and how everything flowed, it was good,” Rivers said. “I tried to help as much as I could but stay out of the way at the same time. When a guy has his routine as a starter, you don’t want to bother him but certainly you want to help if you see something. I thought it worked really well.”

The Saints and Chargers are both 3-4 and coming off losses Sunday. San Diego fell at Buffalo 23-14 and the Carolina Panthers beat the visiting Saints 30-7.

“We’ve got two very good quarterbacks,” Chargers coach Norv Turner said. “Both teams are capable of scoring points. I would like to see us score points and hold them down.”

For Brees, it’s all about scoring more than the Chargers.

“This game isn’t about Philip and I,” he said. “Any time you play in a game against a good team, and especially against another good quarterback, of course there is that little extra, to kind of outperform that guy. But that is all within the realm of winning the game. I don’t want to leave the game and say, hey I had better stats than this guy, but we lost. That doesn’t mean a thing.”

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I hope Shaun and Drew have many happy reunions in the Saint's backfield.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Hurry somebody get Teddy a twinkie.....

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :yes: Typically I wish Drew well. Not this Sunday! :no:

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    “This game isn’t about Philip and I,” he said. “Any time you play in a game against a good team, and especially against another good quarterback, of course there is that little extra, to kind of outperform that guy. But that is all within the realm of winning the game. I don’t want to leave the game and say, hey I had better stats than this guy, but we lost. That doesn’t mean a thing.

Seems like it's all about stats to Breezer, I don't want to see him hurt but now I'd really like to see him lose.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Well, I hope that Shaun's are much happier!!! :abq2:

7. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    And Shaun should be talking considering how much intense pressure he has put on QB's so far this year.:whistling:

8. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Did Drew and Philip have a good relationship while they were here together? I'd hate to think they despised each other.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    They had a very good relationship by all reports. Brees said in a recent 1090 interview that he and Rivers still text and call one another when they see the other playing well in game film.

10. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Awesome. I'm glad to hear that.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I guess I'd be this negative if I lived in NJ, too. :icon_tease:

12. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Brees is a great QB, and with Bush out, he's likely to throw 50 or more times. The Chargers may need to score 42+ to beat them.

This game scares me a bit. Then again, the Miami game didn't scare me at all, so...

13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Any game our defense decides to take off scares the hell out of me. Unfortunately, I've seen it happen more than once this year!!:icon_eek:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    ANY GAME that Jabba is a part of scares me no matter who the opponent is, but yeah........playing soft against Drew is NOT a good idea at all. Hopefully Jabba is planning on getting some pressure on him.

• Like Like x 1
  15. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    bush out = heavy dose of deuce

16. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Your perspective is skewed by Rivers' jock over you face.

17. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Perhaps you could say, the Saints plan to drop a deuce on us?

:five:

18. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    Uh, I think both teams feel that way. Hey, I'll take a high scoring game total, as long as the Chargers have the highest score. :bolt::bolt::bolt:

19. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Who wants this game more Rivers or Brees? I think it may seem like its Brees but I think Philip wants to let AJ know he did good by picking him!:tup:

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This game is all about Rivers and Brees. This game is going to be who piles up the most points the fastest or maybe even who has the ball for the last time. This game is the one where our red zone problems could absolutely kill us.

• Like Like x 1
  21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Especially on defense.

22. Cyanide Mint

Cyanide Mint BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Yes I think we all should be scared, Vegas has the Chargers as the fav but only by a field goal. I really think this game is going to be a shootout with two QB's that are putting up alot of points in a game that means a lot to both teams. Expecting a lot of scoring with only a 3 point spread.......This one could go either way.

I just hope if Tomlinson isn't 100% Sproles gets the ball more than once like in Buffalo.

23. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I like our chances better, If our defense can somehow get to Brees and apply pressure