1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers to gather Monday for start of official conditioning

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]
    By Kevin Acee

Chargers players – up to 30 of them on a given day – have been working out at the team's facility for several weeks.

Monday begins the team's organized conditioning drills, which almost every player on the roster is expected to attend.

Shawne Merriman has been working at the facility (and away from it) most days. He is out of town and will not attend the opening conditioning session but will be there later in the week.

After a season off following major knee surgery, Merriman is by many accounts back to full strength already.

“I feel great, and I look amazing,” Merriman said last week.

Darren Sproles also will be at the conditioning sessions, which will run four days a week with different groups going in separate sessions. Sproles, who has yet to sign his franchise tender, likely will sit out minicamp and the coaching sessions in May, when there is more contact and risk of injury, if a long-term deal has not been reached. Talks between his agent and the team are ongoing.

The Chargers are not concerned about Sproles' potential absence. He is among the team's hardest workers, in season and out.

“I know there are going to be some things that are limited, but I expect him to take part in most of (the offseason),” Chargers coach Norv Turner said. “You always want them there, you always want everyone there. But he does a great job of getting himself physically ready. ... Darren will continue to do that.”

The conditioning sessions are optional, but the Chargers have consistently had near 100 percent attendance.

“The guys who were our top guys in our offseason program (last year) had great years,” Turner said. “It happens that way. ... It's not a coincidence.”

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Nice Fabio impression, Shawne.:lol:

Just go out and blow someone up. Mmmm... k?

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I thought it was Billy Crystal. :lol:

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    "I loook mmmarvelous".

5. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers begin offseason program

Monday, Mar 30, 2009
    By Casey Pearce , Chargers.com

[​IMG]

Monday officially marked the beginning of the Chargers’ 2009 season as 50 players were on hand at Chargers Park to kickoff the team’s offseason conditioning program.

“Your season really does start here,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “Players know they can improve a great deal. I know they’re excited about getting the program started.”

Nearly 30 young players got a head start on the voluntary program last week, but Monday marked the first day of the program for veterans. The 13-week program, led by Strength & Conditioning Coach Jeff Hurd and Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach Vernon Stephens, focuses on getting players in great football shape, not just great physical shape.

“Football is so many things,” Hurd said. “You can have a guy in great shape, but that doesn’t mean he’s ready to play football. I look at our offseason program as, ‘What can I do to get guys ready to help us win football games?’ We want to improve foot speed, quickness, change of direction, strength, power, flexibility. We want to gain better movement patterns efficiency.”

Each day, players begin their workouts outside on the turf field at Chargers Park. On Mondays, their focus is lineal speed. Tuesdays are aimed at change of direction. Wednesday is a day of rest and recovery, a crucial element of the program.

On Thursday, Hurd and Stephens run the players through drills that will improve their explosion, power and conditioning. The week concludes with interval-type conditioning training on Friday.

Hurd emphasizes drills that carryover well to the football field.

“We have to make sure that when it’s the coach’s turn to teach them technique at their position, their hamstrings and their groin and their lower back are ready for that,” Hurd said. “I’m not trying to coach them for their position. I’m trying to get their bodies ready so that coaches can teach them the technique and movement skills they want at their position. We’re building that foundation for them.”

The offseason conditioning program gives players to strengthen their bodies and their bonds with their teammates, an element that Hurd believes is extremely valuable.

“Guys are working together, understanding how important it is that we don’t just come in, work and leave,” Hurd said. “We work as a group. We try to hold each other accountable. If a guy is dragging, let’s get him going. We continue to push each other and try to bring somebody along with us so that when it is the end of the season, to a man, they can look at each other and say, ‘We put a lot of time in together. Let’s keep fighting the fight.’”

Echoing Hurd’s sentiments, quarterback Philip Rivers spoke of how he enjoyed joking with teammates Monday who he hadn’t seen in nearly two months.

“There’s a lot of camaraderie this time of year,” Rivers said. “It’s exciting. All the guys are in a good frame of mind. We want to build on what we’ve gotten going the past couple years and it starts right here.”

6. ChargersHooligan_22

ChargersHooligan_22 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    i think he may actually kill whoever the raiders start at qb opening day this year....???:icon_huh:

:tup: :flag:

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Now that would be marvelous.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I want the strength & conditioning coaches to work on 2 big things this year - stamina & football tone, especially in the legs/feet. Seems that we've had a number ankles/toes/hammies over the last few seasons. Knees happen mostly because of poor design. :lol: Some of this is unavoidable, but I think that some of our guys also need to work on getting their bodies harder.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    That. Would. Be. AWESOME.

:tup:

10. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I LIKE IT... :tup: :abq2: