1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers to play Cowgirls on Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BLITZED56, Mar 10, 2009.

1. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    ALL FOUR NETWORKS WANT COWBOYS’ HOME OPENER

Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2009, 10:32 a.m.

NFL Network kept for itself the final game ever played at Texas Stadium. Now, the league’s four primary broadcast partners want the first game at the new one.

According to Barry Horn of the Dallas Morning News (via SportsBusiness Daily), CBS, ESPN, FOX, and NBC have each included the regular-season opener on their list of preferred games for the 2009 season.

Last year, NBC scored the first regular-season game at Lucas Oil Field, the Colts’ new Indy digs.

The Dallas 2009 home schedule features games against the Giants, Eagles, Redskins, Falcons, Panthers, Seahawks, Raiders, and Chargers.

Under the current NFL broadcasting contracts, FOX broadcasts Sunday afternoon NFC home games when the road team is also an NFC team. CBS gets Sunday afternoon NFC home games when an AFC team is the visitor.

NBC airs Sunday night games (but for the Week One Thursday nighter), and ESPN televises Monday night games.

This year, the Cowboys will host an AFC team (Raiders or Chargers) on Thanksgiving as part of the FOX-CBS rotation of Lions and Cowboys home games on the fourth Thursday in November. So it seems that the chances of the other CBS/AFC game in Dallas being the first home game of the year would be fairly low.

Our guess is that the league will be inclined to put the Cowboys home opener in prime time, either in Week One or Week Two. We’re leaning toward Week Two, since the glitz and the glitter of the opening of a new stadium for South America’s Team isn’t needed to spruce up an already highly-anticipated Week One.

And regardless of whether the game lands on Sunday night or Monday night, it would be fitting if the other prime-time game that week involves the Bills.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

I seriously doubt the Raiders will be selected over the Chargers. Hell, it's bad enough that everybody already has to watch the Lions. :yawn:

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    they pick the Raiders for that game then its forever proof of freaking BS Anti-Chargers bias

3. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    What they ought to do is have

Cowgirls Vs Bolts good matchup

Lions vs Faiders, both sh&tty teams, good matchup.

I always thought, why dont they match up a crappy team against the Lions, make it more fun to watch, than a blow out.

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    you mean this Thanksgiving we may actually get to watch a decent football game?!?!?!

hallelujah!

5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Bolts for Thanksgiving!!!!!

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Well...let's see...who would Dallas rather play? A team with great talent that could beat them OR a team with questionable "talent" they could beat in the first half? Seriously, Dallas would want to play a team that makes them look good in their new stadium. And knowing how Jerry Jones likes to manipulate the NFL, something tells me they'll be playing Oakland.

7. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
    Anybody know if the Chargers have ever played on Thanksgiving?

8. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    YOU WILL be seeing the Cowpies play the Turds:tdown:
    dont forget that JJ & AD are BFF's. plus the NLF loves them some Turds:tdown: u wait n see:icon_evil:

9. fan4ever

fan4ever BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    No doubt It'll be the raiders due to the wanting to shine in the new stadium. Bah...We'll beat them in any place they want to show up.

10. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    We already know that the Chargers will be at Dallas. I don't know if the Faiders play at Dallas.

Sounds like a road trip to me! :icon_party:

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I would usually agree with that but they might not have a choice this time.
    Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they did choose the Raiders but if so, they'll hear A LOT of "WTF?!!!" Even from ESPN!!!

12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Yes they do. The only two AFC teams Dallas plays at home are the Chargers and the Raiders.

13. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Thank's.

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    since we (mexicans) don't celebrate thanksgiving, I'll be working that day so count me as not happy about this :no:

15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    That will never happen. They alternate opponents, if Dallas plays a AFC team, than Detroit plays an NFC Team

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    call in sick

17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    now that you mention it, cough, cough, my throat feel kinda scratchy :icon_tease:

18. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    i think the ka-boys are gonna wanna whup it up on t-day so i think the turd bird will be served.
    nfl will have a captive audience, there's no need to have a good match up, they'll save the boys/bolts for when they need the ratings.

19. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    The Chargers have played on Thanksgiving before, but not for a long, long while.

They played on Thanksgiving in the pre-merger AFL three times I believe, going 2-1. They have not played on Thanksgiving since.

I gotta wonder what they'll do. On one hand, I'm sure Jerry Jones will be lobbying hard to get the Raiders so the Cowboys can blow them out. On the other hand, the media and league people would prefer the Chargers for a better match-up and higher ratings.

My gut says San Diego plays on Thanksgiving.

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Besides, everyone likes a little Turkey on Thanksgiving Day and the Raiders fit the bill.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,584
    :icon_rofl:Rep for you!:icon_rofl:

22. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I think the Bolts will get this game.

23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    and watching a Raider game does help one to fall asleep

• Like Like x 1
  24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I'm banking on the Bolts being in big D for TG. I'm planning (when I win the lottery) to travel to that game and the preceding or following game, whichever is in SD.

A gang of us EuroBolts are hoping to get to a game in SD around this time!.

:tup:

25. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    damn, and I'm planning to roadtrip Dallas and the gentlemens clubs... :icon_eek:

not on Turkey day...

• Like Like x 2
  26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'd love to beat the Pie's on turkey day, we owe them a good beat down. Other than the AFCW and the Fish there is no other team I truly hate. Bring home that turkey Bolt's let's have a great time and even better celebration.:icon_toast:

27. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    LT Rivers on turkeyday would be great. The NFL should stop that Detroit and Dallas monopoly and let the other teams play. Maybe use that week for previous years super bowl opponents to be fair. You would have arizona against carolina? and pittsburgh against philly? its better than stale old league *** kissing Dallas and Never win Detroit.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Hate to say this, but the Raiders are going to draw more viewers on thursday against the Cowboys. Simply because they are the Raiders, no matter how good or bad they are. Same reason the Cowboys always get television coverage, even when they have losing seasons.

It's just the way it is. So if it happens, I won't be suprised at all,:icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  29. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    OK Pacman are you going to make it rain? :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  30. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
    :lol: