1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers to play Saints in London....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Just read in toady's UT. But can't find the link on the UT site.

I'll keep looking. It's in today's print edition, but I can't find it online.

2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    F London....play our games here in the USA..especially if it supposed to be our home game.

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    oh no...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3205488
    Meanwhile, the source identified the Buccaneers, Kansas City Chiefs, New Orleans Saints and Seattle Seahawks as the leading candidates for the international series game to be played in the United Kingdom, probably in October.

4. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    8 time zones and a 12,000 mile round trip would be brutal.

5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The blurb was in the article about Nate Kaeding kicking 5 games with a broken leg. However, the online version doesn't have the blurb, just the print edition.

Anway, it's an August game, which says preseason, since the regular season doesn't begin until September. The game is set for August 26, which is our 3rd or 4th preseason game.

Eh, we play a preseason game in London. Big deal.

We still have 8 regular season home games, and 8 regular season away games.

6. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Here's a couple of links,

http://sportsbusinessdaily.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.perform_search&text=seahawks
    5. SportsBusiness Daily Morning Buzz

… The current possibilities are as follows: Buccaneers-Raiders, Buccaneers-Chargers, Saints-Raiders, Saints-Chargers, Chiefs-Buccaneers, Chief-Saints, Seahawks-Patriots, Seahawks-Jets. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will announce the teams and venue on February 1, the Friday before the Super Bowl (LONDON TIMES, 1/21. WESTCHESTER TO MEET …
    Morning Buzz - Published 01/22/08

http://www.nfluk.com/usersession_new.php?board=22;action=display;threadid=31614
    British fans take on the game.

http://www.nfl.com/international/story?id=09000d5d8060d7b9&template=with-video&confirm=true
    NFL to return to the United Kingdom in 2008
    National Football League

The NFL is heading back across the pond.

After playing a highly successful game in London last October, the NFL announced that it would return to the United Kingdom for a regular-season game in 2008 as part of the NFL’s International Series of regular-season games.

“The game in London was undoubtedly one of the highlights of the entire 2007 season,” said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. “The fan interest was tremendous. The passion they demonstrated for our sport that day continued throughout the season, as television viewership in the U.K. has grown by 40 percent since the game. We had an overwhelmingly positive response to the event from all involved – the teams, our sponsors and business partners and of course the fans themselves. We look forward to another spectacular event in 2008.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_season_(NFL)#Regular_season_games_played_outside_of_the_U.S
    Regular season games played outside of the U.S.
    To date, only two NFL regular season games have been played outside of the U.S. The first was the 2005 game between the Arizona Cardinals and the San Francisco 49ers, which was played in Mexico City.

In October 2006, NFL club owners approved a plan to stage up to two international regular season games per season beginning in 2007 and continuing through at least 2011. [3] The New York Giants and the Miami Dolphins played at Wembley Stadium in London on October 28, 2007 for the first of these games.[4][5]

The longterm plan is to have two international games played every year, on a 16-year rotating schedule that would guarantee that each team would get to play twice over that span: once as the home team and once as the away team.[3] Separate from this, the Buffalo Bills have sought to play regular season home games in Toronto, Ontario. The league has yet to decide on the matter.

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Not sure where the UT would get that it would be a preseason game. All the focus has been on regular season games in Europe, and the NFL said they would announce the teams for the London regular season game during Super Bowl week.

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    I'd be surprised if the London game is a preseason game. No way the buying public will go backwards after having the regular season game in 07.

If the Chargers are in London, how great is that!!?.. An hr flight for me.

The Bucs game is a possibility also. Apparently we will find out for definite next week before that game on Feb 3rd (who is playing can anyone remember?).

9. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    Who foots the bill for all the expenses to do this?
    Do both teams have a bye week afterwards so they can get back to normal practice, etc?

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Don't forget our UK residing bolt fanatic, BoltsFanUK. If this is true, something tells me he'll be first in line for tix.

Although, something just doesn't right about that Aug 26th date. We're supposed to play the Saints in the regular season in New Orleans.

11. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    If SD has to do it, then I'd rather the opponent be the Buccaneers.

For the Chargers NFC Central away games .... If it's NO, then SD would have a London time game and an Eastern time game (Tampa). But, if it's Tampa, then SD has a London time game and a Central time game (New Orleans).

Clinton Hart needs his beauty sleep.

12. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I'm guessing it'd be the Saints game in the regular season, whenever that is. I mean it's a good and bad thing, it allows the Euro Charger fans to watch the Bolts and possibly go to the game and also gain more Charger fans but it'll wear out the team having to flew from the west coast all the way to england and back.

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Good.

My season ticket cost just went down.

Plus, we will not have to hear from anyone who says the tailgaters are not real fans and more into partying.

To those people (UT Trash Mentality Incorporated), they can all eat Raider, Bronco and Chief dick. :yes::icon_banana::yes:

14. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38

IMO I say NOOoooooooooooooooooooooo to any International game.
    Pre-season or otherwise.

The Chargers need to win a SB not focus on picadilly square or firrgin fish, chips and vinegar. Toooooo much of a distraction, focus on winning all our "Real" home games and destroy our opponents on the road.

IMO....I may be in the minority but I feel strongly that playing games outside the USA should always be pre-season meaningless games and NEVER, EVER should be the ones that count.

One of the reasons [of many] why I don't follow and stopped following the NBA was the internationalization of the NBA, that and the fact that the product stinks in comparison to the mid-80's NBA, relaxing of the rules, allowing highschoolers to apply for the draft, expansion etc...all have conspired to make IMO the NBA unwatchable and if the NFL isn't careful they are treading, with this fan, on very thin ice.

Stan :rivers17:

15. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The two games that have been mentioned for the Chargers (New Orleans and Tampa) are both regular season ROAD games for 2008.

The NY Giants played a "road" game in London this season.

That sure hurt their chances of getting to the Super Bowl, didn't it?

16. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Giants played in London and now they're in the SB. :icon_shrug:

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Yep, I was gonna point that out.... I guess we can be sure that the bye will follow the trip to London for both teams.

1 thing is for sure, I will be looking to you guys to get me a ticket via the Chargers/Season ticket holders. The lottery system they had for us over here in 07 was just that, a friggin lottery. Alot were disappointed and ended up having to pay stupid money via ebay etc.

18. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    id travel to london to watch the bolts, sounds like fun to me

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    What fuking clowns said that? What do they do, sit around eating subway sandwiches, cookies and milk?

20. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    ahah the worst board known to man.. the UT

21. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    and me:D:D

22. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    help me as well if you can:yes:

23. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Nobody said that. The head drunk is making **** up again ..... like how contracts work, or his "call" on broken legs, or how his season ticket costs will go down because a currently scheduled road game might be in London. :lol:

Same ****. Different day.

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    I hope and trust we will have no shortage of fellow 'bolttalkers' willing to help out us poor, starving, European Bolt Fans proudly flying the lightning bolts in our respective countries. :yes:

I guess Alpenbolt and Cranberry might come into the equation too!!. Hope that is all of us covered (ie. all 4 of us). :icon_toast:

25. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

Shamrock,

They play in an inferior conference the NFC, and the Giants had a BYE week in London they played the Dolphins, if you can guarantee me the Chargers will play next years 1-15 cup cake team in London I'm all for the trip.

26. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38
    Again, who did the Giants play in London? the hopesless fins. Will the Chargers fly half way around the world just to fight it out against a better team?

I'm not convinced it's worth the risk.

27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    :lol: - True that.

The posters who thought they had it made in their secret forums over there, have made there way over here. They were embarassed when they had to grovel and beg for forgiveness from me when I made my way to those areas after the links were exposed to all.

The best part (actually it is quite insecure and pathetic) is that it continues because some just never learn their lesson.

You made a good choice in Bolttalk.com. These guys learned from the mistakes others have made and raised the bar. Some are trying to lower the bar but we shall see. :bolt: :icon_toast:

28. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    why do we owe the britts anything. If anything those limeys should come over here to see the game.

29. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I'm not an advocate of these regular season overseas games. I see your point, but the fact is that the travel didn't hurt the Giants.

I don't have a crystal ball to know which team is going to be pure crap next season. Still, the Dolphins were more competitive than their record, and played the Giants close in that London game. Also, the Dolphins lone win was against the team that should have beat the "perfect" Patsies if not for the refs stealing it from the Ravens.

It's not just about who you play, but about when you play them. Remember, we wound up being a "cupcake" for the Vikings ....

30. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    The league really dropped the ball on the NFL Europe and now this lame assed tour is their logical replacement. Interestingly they had their biggest support in Germany and now they want to play regularly in London. Go figure.