1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers to welcome Jackson back (AJ IS THE MAN)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Oct 22, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    By Kevin Acee

Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 3:21 p.m.

Wide receiver Vincent Jackson will return to the team next week and be eligible to play Nov. 28.

There had been much more locker room chatter in recent months about left tackle Marcus McNeill than about Vincent Jackson, but Chargers players have long said they would love to have the talented wide receiver back and expect him to be able to contribute.

“The bottom line is we need him,” tight end Antonio Gates said Thursday. “He’s a big part of what we’ve done in the past, and he can help us as we try to get this thing done.”

One of Jackson’s agents called Chargers Vice President Ed McGuire on Thursday to confirm what had previously been reported – that Jackson will play this season. Agent Neil Schwartz told McGuire that the Pro Bowl receiver will report to the team a week from today and sign the tender for which he had heretofore refused to play.

"I believe he will do well,” Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said. “He always has been a worker, stays in shape, knows our offense. After a little game-speed adjustment, I would expect him to be a major contributor.”

Jackson, who has surpassed 1,000 yards receiving the past two seasons, has stayed away from the Chargers in protest of his contract situation. While he and his agents had said he would not play for the Chargers under their current contract offer, they reconsidered in order to assure he will be an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Jackson did not accept the team’s $3.268 million tender in the spring, with his agents telling the Chargers the only contract he would sign would be a multi-year pact. The Chargers lowered Jackson’s tender to $682,000 in June and in August placed him on the Roster Exempt List, which means he must sit out three weeks after signing and reporting. He will be eligible to play Nov. 28 at Indianapolis.

New England guard Logan Mankins, who has also been sitting out in protest, will reportedly sign with the Patriots next month. He was not placed on the Roster Exempt List and does not have to report until Nov. 16.

Factoring in the six weeks Jackson will be on the roster plus the bye, he will now make slightly more than $280,823.

Jackson, Mankins and McNeill were among the 216 players who were scheduled to be unrestricted free agents after last season but remained restricted due to a provision in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NFL and the NFL Players Association.

McNeill reported on Sept. 25, sat out his three games on the Roster Exempt List, and last week signed a five-year contract extension that could pay him $48.985 million. The difference between the two players is that McNeill has long been in the Chargers’ long-term plans, while the Chargers only wanted Jackson for this season.

Chargers players and others in the organization have wondered and still do wonder what Jackson’s mindset will be when he reports, in that he is reporting solely to make sure he is unrestricted in 2011.

But they will hope for the best.

“Hopefully he is doing good and kind of brings his ‘A-game,’ doesn’t take our focus off the game plan week-to-week,” McNeill said. “… We have plenty of talented receivers, but Vincent is probably one of the best in the league in what he does. His athletic ability really brings a whole new level to our offense, spreads the defense out more, let’s us run the ball better. I mean, he adds a whole other facet to our offense.”

While Jackson did one interview on NFL Network and his agents were quoted extensively the past two months, Smith had not spoken publicly about Jackson since July 30, the day Chargers veterans reported to training camp.

In breaking his silence yesterday, Smith reflected on the often-contentious saga that has played out the past few months, including his views on Schwartz and partner Jonathan Feinsod.

“Mr. Schwartz and Mr. Feinsod represent Vincent,” Smith said. “Vincent and his family hired them to do a job. They are following the agents’ professional advice on how to go about getting what they want. Well, at least to this point in time they are. My view on how they conduct their business was made obvious a long time ago.”

Smith made that clear in how he dealt with the Jackson camp's requests.

Schwartz and Feinsod worked vigorously to facilitate a trade but got little cooperation from Smith. Twice in September, the agents felt they had a deal worked out with the Minnesota Vikings but that the Chargers stymied a trade.

After the Chargers on Sept. 22 refused the Vikings’ offer of a second- and fourth-round pick over the next two drafts, the agents publicly blasted Smith. Included in their comments was their contention that Smith is widely known as the “Lord of No Rings,” in reference to his business style and lack of Super Bowl rings.

Smith was asked yesterday about those comments – whether he had heard them and what he thought.

“During training camp, Mr. Schwartz and Mr. Feinsod had two huge fronts they were engaged in – the New York Jets and us,” Smith said, referring to the holdout and eventual signing by Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis. “One ended to their liking, one did not. They voiced their opinions of what they think of me and also voiced what others said to them about me.

“When I heard all of this, I became very sad. I am very thankful that I had a great support group help me get through that traumatic experience. I’m better now, and thank you for asking.”

While Smith was clearly being facetious, he was asked to clarify.

His reply: “I believe I answered your question.”

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Chargers to welcome Jackson back - SignOnSanDiego.com

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :icon_rofl:

That is why I love AJ.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    AJ only deserves credit if VJ plays great and gets us deep in the playoffs. If he struggles, which I expect since he hasn't been on a football field in nearly 11 months, then AJ will look like an idiot for not trading him

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Actually, he wont look like an idiot. The guy who refused to sign his tender would. The Chargers made VJ a tender offer. VJ refused to sign it. I know a lot of the well intentioned fans want the Chargers to cave into players and throw what ever money they want at them, but that is a recipe for disaster, and those same fans would be cussing the team out in less than 2 years if they did that.

But hey, hate is of the moment...

5. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    After AJ's admission of being part of the problem these first 6 games, maybe he will have second thoughts on "truely" putting the best team on the field and work something out with VJ..............:icon_rofl:

6. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56

It still dumbfounds me that VJ & his "agent" didn't sit down before AJ dropped the tender and tried to put it on paper what would happen if they did follow through on the hold out and didn't realize that there was a chance that he would get slapped with the RFA again next year. Or if they had any doubts that they didn't go to the NFLPA to get clarification. This has been a total cluster fuch from VJ's agent from the very beginning. I really hope VJ hold more anger toward his agent then he does the Chargers.

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Right there with you. It is like they wanted the Chargers to make the first move. They did, VJ and co. did not like the move...

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He will look like an idiot for passing on a VERY good draft pick. I have never said he should have caved in and given him a contract. But if VJ doesn't have a big impact, and we miss the playoffs, then AJ will look like an idiot for not trading a guy who didn't end up making an impact

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok, he will look like an idiot to YOU, because he set a value and the other team did not want to match it. To the other GMs, he will look consitent, to me he will look like he was handling business in the proper fashion.

I know you want AJ to drop trow and give it up to your 'big name players' but teams that do that end up picking a lot of high first round picks, ala the lions.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Perhaps fans would be happy if AJ pulled an Al Davis and said that any player could be had for any price....

11. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    NOt for nuttin but there is a very good chance we may very well be pretty close to being out of it by the time VJ starts playing. So regardless of how VJ plays it really might not even make a difference.

12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    This strategy has worked well for Al and for Dan Snyder. :rolleyes:

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, just because I think my car is worth $20,000, doesn't mean it truly is. And if I have a choice between selling it for $15,000 or losing it and getting nothing for it, then the good business decision is to get something for it, even if it is less than you want.

That is how business works. A company doesn't always get what they want, but getting a little less then they want vs. getting nothing, any smart business is going to take what they can get within reason.

No one is saying that AJ should have traded him for a 4th or 5th round pick. A 2nd round pick is FAR from crap.

I do not want AJ to drop trow, But I expect him to make good business decisions and accept that the words 'negotiate' and 'compromise' are not evil words, and they are HUGE parts of good business decisions

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Who ever said AJ should have given VJ what he wanted? I have never once said AJ should have re-signed VJ. I want him to make good business decisions for the present and future of the team. Unless VJ has a huge 6 games, and helps get us into the playoffs, then keeping him didn't help the present NOR the future

15. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Ever consider that VJ's agents are to blame? Maybe they are not willing to 'negotiate' and 'compromise'.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    VJ's agent's are not paid to do what is best for the Chargers. AJ is. VJ's agent had already said in an interview that AJ refused to talk to him, so how are they supposed to negotiate or compromise? It takes 2 sides

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So to clarify, you think AJ is an idiot because he set a value you did not agree with, and did not cave when another team offered him less than the value he set. You are assuming that AJ is just being a hard ***, and that he is out to screw everyone because he did not 'compromise' to make things easier on VJ and the Vikings... And here I thought he represented the Chargers... :lol:

You appear to feel that because you would sell your car for less than you ask, AJ should give up a player for less than he asks. Ok, you can feel free to think that way. I will disagree.

If the Vikings wanted VJ they could have ponied up what the asking price was. It is that simple in my book...

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    By the way, I am not syaing it is automatically a loss for AJ. IF VJ has a big impact and we go far in the playoffs, then it was probably worth keeping him around. But if we miss the playoffs or he has little to no impact, then passing on the 2nd round pick was stupid

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    And that is what he did. Some fans just seem to think that they know more about what representing the best interests of the Chargers is than Aj does...

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Oh, so we will withold judgement until the proper time in the future so we can then use hindsight to its fullest possible merrit... :lol: ;)

21. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I can't say what AJ was thinking all I can do is try and reason what his thought process was. One thing I come up with is he, along with all of us, expected the Chargers to be doing a hell of alot better then they are and probably assumed (I know, bad word) that we would be sitting pretty by the 10th game and he probably played his cards in the sense that he gambled on VJ & MM "having" to sign in order to fulfill there time to get UFA status next year. So by doing so, thought that the team would get an injection of 2 pro bowlers coming in to help going down the stretch run. Unfortunately due to our lack of a strong start, that has only opened up more holes to criticize everyone involved.

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No, I am saying he set a price that no other team agreed with or VJ would be on another team. Do you think Google is going to just take a loss because someone isn't willing to pay them the price they want? If someone offers them something that would be a profit, and they have a choice between accepting less or getting nothing, they will accept less. That is basic business.

23. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    And you believe everything that they say in the media? Maybe AJ is doing what is best for the Chargers. Maybe VJ's agents are unrealistic when it comes to VJ's value.

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Very true. He took a risk. If it works out, it was a smart risk. If it doesn't, he is an idiot. That is how the game is played

25. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Several things:

1. How soon can Jackson return to form in an effective way to help the team?

2. Will the Chargers offer Jackson a good contract just like McNeil's? And will Jackson accept it?

3. Will Jackson play it safe or play out his heart the remainder season? His primary concern now is not to get an injury.

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What reason would he have to lie about that, and what info has come out saying that it was a lie? If it was a lie, AJ would have leaked it by getting his puppet Kevin Acee to write about it.

They were unrealistic about his value, no doubt. That is why he lowered his asking price to a 1 year deal.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Why should he set a low price. Did you stop to think that perhaps AJ doesnt want to send VJ packing? I am in big business. It is not often a pharmaceutical company will take less for their product. They set a price and that is the price for all customers. Sometimes prices change based on the size of the buy or special contracts, but that is because there are other things factoring in to ensure the price they want is actually met.

That is business. There is no reaso to ship players off because fans are happy with a 2nd round draft. AJ has done a fine job to this point, I know the haters will argue, but the fact is, the team is successful in large because of AJ, and the way he runs business.

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    1. He will be eligible to play week 11. How long it takes him to get productive? No idea

2. All signs say they won't even offer him a new deal

3. He will play hard. He has to if he wants a big new contract after the season. The question is, how effective will he be? Afterall, he hasn't played a down of football in 11 months. Every player interviewed always says being in shape is different than being in football shape. Only time will tell whether he makes an impact or not

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Once again, you are putting words in my mouth. I never said he should set a low price. He should shoot high while the other side will shoot low, and negotiate to something in between,

In your business, you will always have a supplier and never risk losing a product for nothing since the expiration date on it is a long way out, and you can just sit on it until someone pays the price. We have an expiration on VJ, it is the day the season is over. If he had another year on his contract, they have no reason to trade him. But they WILL lose him in a few months and get nothing

30. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    If he set his price at an unrealistic price then maybe VJ and his agent should go complain to the Union. Why would a 2 & 3 be unrealistic if the Union agreed to tag a player at a 1 & 3? They way I see it, AJ did budge on his asking price.