1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers trade for DT Travis Johnson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Aug 31, 2009.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6595265.html

The Texans have traded defensive tackle Travis Johnson to the San Diego Chargers. The Texans dealt Johnson for a conditional draft choice that could be a fifth- or sixth-round pick, depending on his performance.

Johnson, the first-round pick in 2005, had been out while recovering from surgery for a sports hernia. He was supposed to play for the first time in the last preseason game against Tampa Bay and be ready for the regular-season opener against the New York Jets.

Details to follow

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    WTF?
    I know Johnson. He was a first rounder with a bad reputation of being lazy and not playing hard. He's never lived up
    to his status and section. He's never had any good srarostic
    years. Why the heck did we do this???

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Seems someone is not happy with or DT crew right now. I guess.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    To make fans run around in circles yelling the sky is falling.

Chilax everyone. AJ has got this!

6. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Is Ryon Bingham's injury so bad ? What about Scott before
    an insure new man ?
    Hope this news is wrong.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    It's likely that this is because binghams injury is worse then expected but again why this guy? There had to be errrr
    options and if you think I'm wrong then look up his history and his scouting reports. He's been consistently beaten by udfas and lower draft picks. Aj has made bad moves before and this one will be another mistake

8. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Just coming in from chargers.com
    Chargers acquire Johnson, sign Byrd
    Casey Pearce
    Posted 11 minutes ago
    a a The Chargers sent an undisclosed 2010 draft pick to the Houston Texans Monday in exchange for defensive lineman Travis Johnson. The team also signed seventh-round pick Demetrius Byrd to a four-year contract.
    Johnson (6-3, 303) was the 16th overall selection in the 2005 NFL Draft and appeared in 54 games in four seasons with the Texans. He add depth add depth along the defensive line.

Also Monday, the Chargers signed wide receiver Demetrius Byrd, their seventh-round pick in April’s draft, to a four-year contract.

In addition to the two additions, the Chargers also made three subtractions Monday. The team waived wide receiver Greg Carr, offensive tackle Dan Gay and wide receiver Rodgeriques Smith. All three players joined the Chargers as undrafted free agents in April.

With the moves, the Chargers’ roster currently stands at 78 players. They have make three more transactions by Tuesday at 1 pm in order to reach the NFL-mandated limit of 75 players.

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Byrd signed. Does that mean he's recovered? Or expected to fully recover?

10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Probably just means he's regained enough movement in his limbs to sign his name.

Byrd will not occupy a roster spot this season. Non-football PUP list.

11. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I will not pretend to understand this trade.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Don't know. Maybe all drafties have to be signed. He at least will be not better than PS.

13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    The worst we do is we give up a 6th round choice. Sometimes change is good, and we found someone whos does not want to be where he is at.

14. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I actually like the move. Give up a 2nd day pick for a guy that was a first round selection.

I looked up his stats on NFL.com and he doesn't look too bad the last two seasons, playing in the Texans 3-4. They had him listed at NT too, which I'm not sure if that was his primary position there, but read on another board that he was their best d-lineman against the run.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Oh geesh guys.

What is there to understand?

let me break it down for you like this:

he HAS the tallent to be a first round draft pick, right?

If the Chargers can rekendle the work ethic, or instill a new work ethic, it is a friggin steal! The guys can replace Jamal when Jamal cant go no more.

If they fail, WHOOOPIDYDOOOOO! It cost us a 6th round pick (assuming he doesnt play a lot). How many 6th round picks go to practice squads. a 5th rounders at the most...

This really is not rocket science. It is a gamble, but with little to lose and A LOT TO GAIN!

• Like Like x 1
  16. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I guess I KINDA know where this one's headed... I really think we lack a LOT of depth on the line period, both sides of the ball, but I would've traded for an o-lineman instead... that would have been better, just because I worry about "what if someone goes down," then we're pretty much boned.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    This also can be an indicator that the injury to Flourney is worse than we thought.

18. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47

zactly Conc.

I'd rep you, but it wouldn't let me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074

I don’t have a problem with the low draft choice. Everyone screams when another team gets someone for nothing, and then when we get one, they immediately scream why us? Let’s give the guy a chance at least.

20. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    + rep for CONC. No big mystery here... we have ONE proven nose tackle on this team (and his knees are getting old). Dangerous waters for a 3-4 defense.

21. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
  22. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Good. He can't be any worse than the sorry crew we have right now, and who will be missing out on with that pick? Another Brandon Hughes type player? We need help on the defensive line, and he is worth a shot.

BTW: Link

Norv says he'll play end in our base defense, and move to nose when we're in nickel.

23. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I just feel this is a waste of a lower end pick for a player who is likely never to do Jack with us

and his career suggests it

24. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
  25. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Maybe I just don't see the point in getting all of our panties in a bunch over the loss of a fifth round pick (a sixth round pick if you think that he'll suck)? We get compensation picks every single year.

26. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    did somebody say Jacob Hester? :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  27. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I bet they are willing to see how this kid does under Rivera and surrounded by a lot of angry aggressive hard working talent, lots of leaders here to whip him into shape if he's willing.

If not... meh... it was a 5th rounder we gave up his upside is worth the risk, esp if we need the depth imo.

28. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    There is a lot of upside to this trade actually.

Bingam is likely done for a while. If his biceps are torn? I've seen that injury put someone out for the season. Cesaire is gimpy too, leaving us with Martin and Ugwabou (or whatever it is) opposite Castillo.

TJ came out as a skilled 3-4 DE prospect, not a NT. Even Texan fans will tell you he occupied blockers very well. It did however make his play seemingly unexceptional. When the Texans gave up on the 3-4 after what, like a year, they moved him inside to DT and it didn't really play to his skills. It's quite possible that back in a 3-4, especially one where he doesn't have to be the only star on a mediocre front seven, (Mario W only came on last year) he may well excel.

So, first round talent for a 6th or possibly 5th rounder (let's remember, on the Bolts, those rounds have a slim chance of cracking our starting lineup), this seems like an excellent risk to take for a DL vet to come in and plug a few gaps injuries are creating.

• Like Like x 3
  29. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    A waste of a late round pick? THATS WHAT YOURE WORRIED ABOUT??

In the past 4 years, these have been our 6-7th rounders, how many of these guys are really worried about missing out on???

Wes Sims
    Scott Mruczkowski
    Jeremy Clary
    Kurt Smith
    Chase page
    Jimmy Martin
    Brandon Siler
    Dejuan Tribble
    Corey Clark
    Kevin Ellison
    D. Byrd

Out of that list, we have an overmatched RT who is the weak link on the team, a backup center, a special teams LB who likely wont make the team this year, a couple of rookies, and a bunch of guys who are out of the NFL

BIG ****ING DEAL

• Like Like x 2
  30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    In AJ I trust. Typically those who doubt him learn that he is the master...