1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

CHARGERS TURNED DOWN HBO's "HARD KNOCKS" BUT THE JETS ARE MORE THAN WILLING TO STAR

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

ESPN
    3-25-2010

Part NFL films, part prime-time reality show, HBO's "Hard Knocks" attempts to give viewers an inside look at the day-to-day life of an NFL team's training camp. Normally closed to the public and indeed most of the press, NFL offseason workouts are somewhat of an enigma. HBO had expressed strong interest in featuring the San Diego Chargers for a season, but General Manager AJ Smith was not having it:

"I think it’s fake, I think it’s phony, I think it’s put on, I think it’s basically a motion picture. And anyone that wants to be in the motion picture business, or enjoy that stuff, they buy into it, they enjoy it, the fake phone call conversations, the fake chatter, the whole thing is a joke and (Chargers CEO) Dean Spanos said it was my call and I made it very quickly."

"I’m a fan of Steve Sabol and everything he does but that particular segment to get ready for a football season, it’s beyond my comprehension."

So while you shouldn't expect to see the Chargers on TV much anytime soon, you can at least see former Chargers Ladainian Tomlinson and Antonio Cromartie as they join their new Jets teammates on this season.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    CHARGERS TURNED DOWN HBO's "HARD KNOCKS" BUT THE JETS ARE MORE THAN WILLING TO ST

:icon_rofl: Typical AJ.

Our pre-season is going to be very interesting this year, with new position battles and potential hold outs. But I can't say these guys need more time in front of the camera.

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    CHARGERS TURNED DOWN HBO's "HARD KNOCKS" BUT THE JETS ARE MORE THAN WILLING TO ST

Kinda weird. This quote is from a July 2009 Darren Smith interview concerning the Bengals doing the Hard Knocks show... http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/chargers-gm-calls-hard-knocks-fake-a-joke-25359 I can't find the 2010 ESPN article that this reportedly came from, only posts reporting it on Bolt Hype and the Chargers.com board. I was expecting to find some sloppy journalism but struck out. (darn it)

A.J. Smith: “I just think it’s a tremendous distraction. … I think it’s fake. I think it’s phony. I think it’s a put on. I think it’s basically a motion picture…the fake phone call conversation, the fake chatter, the whole thing is a joke. Dean Spanos said it was my call, and I made it very quickly.”

Darren Smith: “So in other words you’re not a fan of the show.”

A.J. Smith: “I’m a fan of (NFL Films president) Steve Sabol and everything he does, but that particular segment to get ready for a football season, it’s beyond my comprehension.”

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347

Just another TV "reality" show.

5. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

:lol:

http://www.bolthype.com/2010/03/thr...hype+(BOLTHYPE+-+The+San+Diego+Chargers+Blog)

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746

AJ is so awesome.

7. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494

AJ Smiff applied a GLORIOUS back hand to the face of Sabol

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929

though i do admit it'd be very fun watching AJ pimp slap his way through the pre season and training camp

9. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210

Are you say T.V. is lying to me???

10. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5

I agree with AJ and am glad he turned it down as the team does not need the distraction. Of course if the Bolts did do the show, I would be tuned in every week, I bet Merriman would put on a great show.

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654

And to the players who forget the reason they are in the NFL.

I am glad A.J. said no.

This team has not done **** to deserve anything. They need to stay focused.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

Cromartie will be doing a spin-off called "Knocked Up". :yes:

13. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58

I like this no nonsense attitude. It makes sense. Just like Twitter is a distraction and can be malignant, especially with players like Cromarie tweeting daily... I bet this show can end up hearting a team overall. Look at the Bengals... they flopped at the end of the year after Hard Knocks last year... Makes sense they picked Bengals with Ochocinco(mastter tweeter) and chargers, then Jets Cro( tweet addiction)